2021 Summer Transfer Window

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

How would you classify this transfer window?

Poor
41%
Average
41%
Good
6%
Great
13%

Total votes : 32

Re: 2021 Summer Transfer Window

Postby Mike Dean » Sun Aug 01, 2021 6:47 am

lol

^^^ How I would sum up the transfer window.
Mike Dean
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Nuggets » Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:08 am

Özim wrote:A pretty familiar story really, once again we fail to get rid of players for a fee and it looks like we’re going to offer a new contract to a liability, what a shambles!

Honestly, though it’s been so long since this was a decent football club that did things properly, nowadays it’s an absolute joke, I mean who in their right minds employs a nobody with zero experience and then continues to back him after two 8th places and being schooled by their former manager?

WE have become the joke of the prem, we are not feared anymore just laughed at, we have become Chelski's bitch for dumping wash-out players. The chuckle brothers have a lot to answer for.
Nuggets
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner

Postby alexafc12 » Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:09 am

Reports that Bellerin is in the same boat as Xhaka.

He wants to leave. No one wants to pay what were asking. He'll stay.

Why does no one want our players ?!
alexafc12
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Arsenal Tone » Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:11 am

I'm happy with Tavares and Sambi.

But if you told me we had those two and a further 120m to spend, White and Maddison would not have been on my shortlist.
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby Arsenal Tone » Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:11 am

alexafc12 wrote:Reports that Bellerin is in the same boat as Xhaka.

I really hope we're bluffing!
Raya/Ramsdale
???/Jorginho
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby jayramfootball » Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:17 am

Because the players who were brought in over a number of years were simply not good enough.
They are on high wages, brought about by a wage model that overpays average players, and simply are not worth it.
Bellerin was never a good defender and now he's old and coming back from injury his attacking play has also diminished.
Xhaka is just too error-prone.
The club are just going to have to bite the bullet - I certainly think giving them a new contract is a mistake.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Phil71 » Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:18 am

These things tend to go to the wire for various reasons, including the transfer fee, the player's agent wanting money from each side, the player's agent wanting the player's contract paid up by the selling club (that's why players don't put in formal transfer requests until the last minute).
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby Nuggets » Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:31 am

ermm perhaps because they are shite. :arse fan:
Nuggets

Postby Goonerred » Sun Aug 01, 2021 12:39 pm

Nuggets wrote:

ermm perhaps because they are shite. :arse fan:

Bellerin and the likes are not good enough for the top clubs who could pay the money. The lower clubs would love him, but they can't afford it. So, we either lower the price or let him go on a free, whenever that is. In my humble opinion, Bellerin has been cruising for a while, even before his last big injury and should have been sold long ago.
Goonerred
Predictions League 2021-22 Winner, Member of the Year 2022
Predictions League 2021-22 Winner, Member of the Year 2022

Postby Dejan » Sun Aug 01, 2021 3:12 pm

truly what an awful summer
Rest in Peace SE13 :(
Dejan
SE13
SE13

Postby Arsenal Tone » Sun Aug 01, 2021 4:21 pm

Until a week or two ago I was happy. Rumours that Bellerin, Xhaka and Leno were being replaced had me trusting the process. Now we've started the business end of pre-season all three are still here, rumours that they are staying and we see two of them (Leno and Bellerin) have an awful game two weeks before the season starts.

We can't wait til deadline day. We offloaded players in January, so didn't need to wait to make signings. Can't believe I fell for the media BS again.
Raya/Ramsdale
???/Jorginho
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby jayramfootball » Sun Aug 01, 2021 4:29 pm

Tony Adams wrote:Until a week or two ago I was happy. Rumours that Bellerin, Xhaka and Leno were being replaced had me trusting the process. Now we've started the business end of pre-season all three are still here, rumours that they are staying and we see two of them (Leno and Bellerin) have an awful game two weeks before the season starts.

We can't wait til deadline day. We offloaded players in January, so didn't need to wait to make signings. Can't believe I fell for the media BS again.

It certainly is disappointing to see some players still here.
But if no one wants them, they have to be ready for the season, I guess.
I would really hate to see the like of Bellerin start a league game, though.

On the plus side all three of our signings look good.
Very very impressed with Tavares control , strength and decision making today.
Sambi was more passive today but looked confident on the ball and smooth in his passing.
White did nothing wrong at all and made an excellent goal saving block.

All three players will make us stronger.

I think we need a RB GK and CF still.
Might come this window, might have to wait as we build the squad over the coming windows.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby ag6789 » Sun Aug 01, 2021 4:33 pm

Don't think Leno was marked to leave inspite of rumours. Aquiring a competent back up GK was talked about.
ag6789
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby DiamondGooner » Sun Aug 01, 2021 4:39 pm

jayramfootball wrote:
Tony Adams wrote:Until a week or two ago I was happy. Rumours that Bellerin, Xhaka and Leno were being replaced had me trusting the process. Now we've started the business end of pre-season all three are still here, rumours that they are staying and we see two of them (Leno and Bellerin) have an awful game two weeks before the season starts.

Sambi was more passive today but looked confident on the ball and smooth in his passing.

Might come this window, might have to wait as we build the squad over the coming windows.

................ well they won't make us stronger because they're not in the starting line up, they can only make us stronger from the bench and quite frankly, I have my doubts about whethere Lokonga is going to be good enough which even if he is, doesn't matter if Arteta is picking Xhaka to start.

This window has been abysmal simply because we've not bought players who are brought in to replace any of our first team.

Imo White doesn't even count because we have a CB in Saliba we're not even using so all we've actually done is replaced the CB we already have.

Arteta has completely bolloxed this window up, I don't care if we can't shift Xhaka, make him a bench player and buy a starting CM, is it that difficult? that's what Chelsea would do.

You don't give up and offer the cnt a new shiny, higher wages contract.

Arteta out, I'm completely done with him, he doesn't know wtf he's doing.......... or worse, he does, he didn't want Xhaka to go anyway.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby jayramfootball » Sun Aug 01, 2021 4:47 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:

................ well they won't make us stronger because they're not in the starting line up, they can only make us stronger from the bench and quite frankly, I have my doubts about whethere Lokonga is going to be good enough which even if he is, doesn't matter if Arteta is picking Xhaka to start.

This window has been abysmal simply because we've not bought players who are brought in to replace any of our first team.

Imo White doesn't even count because we have a CB in Saliba we're not even using so all we've actually done is replaced the CB we already have.

Arteta has completely bolloxed this window up, I don't care if we can't shift Xhaka, make him a bench player and buy a starting CM, is it that difficult? that's what Chelsea would do.

You don't give up and offer the cnt a new shiny, higher wages contract.

Arteta out, I'm completely done with him, he doesn't know wtf he's doing.......... or worse, he does, he didn't want Xhaka to go anyway.

Tavares... we now have good cover for Tierney which was a major issue last year.
Sambi - we'll see how many games he gets, but he is an option we did not have last year and he looks a good player on the ball.
Ben White - top-class defender who will start... he does count because Saliba hasn't kicked a ball for us and wasn't good enough to make the squad, so it's a clear improvement to the team over last year.

I do, however, agree with you on Xhaka - he should not be given a new contract. Same with Bellerin.
That would be disappointing.
Last edited by jayramfootball on Sun Aug 01, 2021 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk