2021 Summer Transfer Window

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

How would you classify this transfer window?

Poor
41%
Average
41%
Good
6%
Great
13%

Total votes : 32

Re: 2021 Summer Transfer Window

Postby Santi » Fri Jul 09, 2021 2:03 pm

Pepe and Saka are both examples of what I meant 'runners'. Pepe is probably the most creative guy we have on the wing which says it all, there's nobody to link up with ESR on those pass and move opportunities like a Bernardo Silva would for City.

Personally think we've set ourselves up more like Liverpool up front with 3 proper forwards Auba - Laca and one other from Pepe/Saka/Gabi. Which means we need more creativity behind them like what they tried to do by bringing Thiago in. It's a lot to ask of ESR all season long when the lad has just come off his first half a season of top flight football.

Aouar - Partey
------ESR-------
Saka - Laca - Gabi/Auba

something like this would be my preferred lineup for most games. Against big teams drop one of ESR or Aouar for Lokonga or Elneny.
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby Arsenal Tone » Fri Jul 09, 2021 3:58 pm

Santi wrote:Pepe and Saka are both examples of what I meant 'runners'. Pepe is probably the most creative guy we have on the wing which says it all, there's nobody to link up with ESR on those pass and move opportunities like a Bernardo Silva would for City.

Personally think we've set ourselves up more like Liverpool up front with 3 proper forwards Auba - Laca and one other from Pepe/Saka/Gabi. Which means we need more creativity behind them like what they tried to do by bringing Thiago in. It's a lot to ask of ESR all season long when the lad has just come off his first half a season of top flight football.

Aouar - Partey
------ESR-------
Saka - Laca - Gabi/Auba

something like this would be my preferred lineup for most games. Against big teams drop one of ESR or Aouar for Lokonga or Elneny.
Aouar and Partey would not offer enough protection to the back four imo
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby Santi » Fri Jul 09, 2021 5:00 pm

At home against Norwich and Burnley? Course it would.

We're supposed to be the dominant ball playing team for 90% of our matches.
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby PairyGrows » Sat Jul 10, 2021 3:23 pm

The summer isn't going so well. It's a little over a month until the season kicks off, and so far we have managed one signing who won't make an impact immediately. Looking at our schedule, we need to hit the ground running, which is why we should aim to get signings done early.

So much of the season depends on the pre-season. If we can't get that right, we can't have high hopes for the season either.
PairyGrows
Ian Wright
Ian Wright

Postby jayramfootball » Sat Jul 10, 2021 5:57 pm

PairyGrows wrote:The summer isn't going so well. It's a little over a month until the season kicks off, and so far we have managed one signing who won't make an impact immediately. Looking at our schedule, we need to hit the ground running, which is why we should aim to get signings done early.

So much of the season depends on the pre-season. If we can't get that right, we can't have high hopes for the season either.

Pre-season is going to be a bit difficult for everyone with the Euros and the Copa America going on - plus some players at the Olympics.
It's probably also the reason the transfer window is quite slow.
I expect it will pick up over the next 2-3 weeks.
Would have been nice to get some early signings in but I am not surprised we could not.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Salibatelli » Sat Jul 10, 2021 6:46 pm

jayramfootball wrote:
PairyGrows wrote:The summer isn't going so well. It's a little over a month until the season kicks off, and so far we have managed one signing who won't make an impact immediately. Looking at our schedule, we need to hit the ground running, which is why we should aim to get signings done early.

Pre-season is going to be a bit difficult for everyone with the Euros and the Copa America going on - plus some players at the Olympics.
Would have been nice to get some early signings in but I am not surprised we could not.

It’s no surprise because we never do, our signings happen at a snails pace.

Man U signed Sancho without a problem, where there’s a will there’s a way, sadly there’s no will hence our only signing being a 2nd string full back for peanuts who won’t even be a first teamer.

Been very disappointing indeed.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby swipe right » Sun Jul 11, 2021 3:00 am

Realistic signings this summer.
1. Tavares
2. White
3. Lokonga
4. Neves
5. Maddison
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Nuggets » Sun Jul 11, 2021 5:42 am

Özim wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:

It’s no surprise because we never do, our signings happen at a snail's pace.

Man U signed Sancho without a problem, where there’s a will there’s a way, sadly there’s no will hence our only signing being a 2nd string full-back for peanuts who won’t even be a first-teamer.

Been very disappointing indeed.

True, but I really didn't expect anything else really from the Gruesome twosome Aka dumb and dumber.
Nuggets
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner

Postby Arsenal Tone » Sun Jul 11, 2021 6:42 am

swipe right wrote:Realistic signings this summer.
1. Tavares
2. White
3. Lokonga
4. Neves
5. Maddison
That'd be a good window. Add a back up striker (a plan b type like Onuachu) and it'd be the best window in years.
Raya/Ramsdale
???/Jorginho
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby swipe right » Sun Jul 11, 2021 7:52 am

Tony Adams wrote:
1. Tavares
2. White
3. Lokonga
4. Neves
5. Maddison
That'd be a good window. Add a back up striker (a plan b type like Onuachu) and it'd be the best window in years.

The first three are done. We will need Neves to replace Xhaka as Lokonga is too raw. And we know Arteta is sniffing around for a cam cause he doesn’t rate ESR which means Auror or Maddison.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Arsenal Tone » Sun Jul 11, 2021 8:20 am

swipe right wrote:
Tony Adams wrote:
1. Tavares
2. White
3. Lokonga
4. Neves
5. Maddison

The first three are done. We will need Neves to replace Xhaka as Lokonga is too raw. And we know Arteta is sniffing around for a cam cause he doesn’t rate ESR which means Auror or Maddison.
Which is why I'm feeling fairly positive about next season.
Raya/Ramsdale
???/Jorginho
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby swipe right » Sun Jul 11, 2021 9:40 am

Tony Adams wrote:
swipe right wrote:
Tony Adams wrote:
1. Tavares
2. White
3. Lokonga
4. Neves
5. Maddison

Which is why I'm feeling fairly positive about next season.

Not sure they are a big upgrade on our current squad though. Tavares and Lokongo won’t start. White and Neves haven’t exactly set the league on fire yet. Maddison would be an upgrade on our existing options. I don’t even think any of them are Artetas first ckoice. Maybe White.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby DiamondGooner » Sun Jul 11, 2021 9:53 am

Tony Adams wrote:
1. Tavares
2. White
3. Lokonga
4. Neves
5. Maddison

Really?

Even if we made all those signings (I think Maddison won't happen and Neves has died down) those signings suck.

Bar White, there's barely any good players on that list.

The only thing I like is that it moves on the deadwood that think they're better than they are, but we're replacing them with pure mediocrity.

Lokonga, Tavares, Neves?? wtf are they going to do to push us to top 4?

Honest question ........... if Spurs signed those players, would we be shtting ourselves? no, the truth is we'd be saying "Give a sht".

That's the reality of it.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby swipe right » Sun Jul 11, 2021 9:57 am

DiamondGooner wrote:
Tony Adams wrote:
1. Tavares
2. White
3. Lokonga
4. Neves
5. Maddison

Really?

Even if we made all those signings (I think Maddison won't happen and Neves has died down) those signings suck.

The only thing I like is that it moves on the deadwood that think they're better than they are, but we're replacing them with pure mediocrity.

Honest question ........... if Spurs signed those players, would we be shtting ourselves? no, the truth is we'd be saying "Give a sht".

True. Top four clubs wouldn’t be in for this lot. This is a mid table shopping list.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Arsenal Tone » Sun Jul 11, 2021 10:02 am

DiamondGooner wrote:
Tony Adams wrote:
1. Tavares
2. White
3. Lokonga
4. Neves
5. Maddison

Really?

They are the type of signings leicester and liverpool have been making that keep us below them. They also fill gaps. Not having cover at LB cost us massively. Xhaka and Ceballos needed replacing. Holding was good but not world class, maybe White will be better, sounds like he's better at playing out from the back.
Raya/Ramsdale
???/Jorginho
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk