2021 Summer Transfer Window

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

How would you classify this transfer window?

Poor
41%
Average
41%
Good
6%
Great
13%

Total votes : 32

Re: 2021 Summer Transfer Window

Postby jayramfootball » Fri Jul 23, 2021 2:39 pm

theHotHead wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
theHotHead wrote:
Phil71 wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
Nuggets wrote:How the club has fallen, we used to go for the best now we buy players and pray they can play sad really sad times.

At our very best, under the first years of Wenger, we rarely went for those players considered the 'best'.

True.

Who had heard of Vieira, Petit, Anelka, Ljungberg, and many more?

All fairly anonymous signings who turned out great.

Revison of history there.

IF you hadn't heard of Petit and Ljungberg you were obviously not interested in football much.

Ljunberg played for Halmstad and didn't even make his Sweden debut until the year he joined us.
Petit was at Monaco and only made a handful of French squads in the preceding 4 years before joining us. Monaco were not tearing up trees during the vast majority of his time there.

99/100 of Arsenal fans had no clue how good (or bad) these 2 players were when they joined us.

To suggest that fans were not interested in football if they didn't know who these two players were is actual revisionist history.

Nope, that is incorrect. We signed him AFTER the England game, in fact it is documented back that one of the main reasons Wenger bought him was on the strength of his performance for Sweden against England:

Arsenal scouts watched him for over a year and Arsenal's manager, Arsène Wenger, took the unusual step of authorising the signing after watching Ljungberg play for Sweden in their victory against England on television, without seeing him play live. Seeing Ljungberg's performance against England only confirmed to Wenger that Ljungberg could cope against English opponents, and he was signed shortly after

We all saw that game .. we all saw how good he was.

We saw him in one game in his very first year as an international footballer whilst playing for Halmsted
Wenger had never even seen him live before he saw him on telly.

That's your definition?

Super. So we saw Ben White play all last season He was very good.
So why the complaints about him being a 'nobody'?
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby theHotHead » Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:15 pm

Because I don't even remember him all season so he didn't stand out , so is absolutely not worth anywhere near the £50m we are paying for him.

Ljungberg ripped England to shreds that game.

Im not opposed to buying Ben White, I am opposed to spending £50m on him!! FFS, Sancho os one of the most highly rated young footballers in the world, an offensive player, we all know they go for shedloads more than defensive players, yet he went to Man U for £73m, after absolutely ripping up the Bundesliga.

Whichever way you spin it Jay, £50m for Ben White is pure madness.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby Santi » Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:27 pm

Well United finished second, Dortmund had an agreement with Sancho to sell him this summer and the player wanted the move.

Meanwhile Arsenal were laughed at all season, regularly get ripped off in the transfer market in both directions anyway and Brighton don't want to sell him.

Completely different situations, we have far less pull and have to overpay while United had to wait an extra year for their man and got a 30-40m discount by doing so. We might get lucky and get the same with Aouar.
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:37 pm

theHotHead wrote:Because I don't even remember him all season so he didn't stand out , so is absolutely not worth anywhere near the £50m we are paying for him.

Ljungberg ripped England to shreds that game.

Im not opposed to buying Ben White, I am opposed to spending £50m on him!! FFS, Sancho os one of the most highly rated young footballers in the world, an offensive player, we all know they go for shedloads more than defensive players, yet he went to Man U for £73m, after absolutely ripping up the Bundesliga.

Whichever way you spin it Jay, £50m for Ben White is pure madness.

Dortmund were willing to forgo £30m for Sancho because missing out on CL would have been far more expensive; Haaland had said that without CL, he wouldn't stay at Dortmund. Yet even with Haaland and Sancho they just scraped into CL places and right at the end of the season.

As for us, I don't know why we needed to pay top dollar to get BW in for this season. He cannot take us to CL on his own, and it looks like he will be lumped with a ton of responsibility when he does take the field for us.
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby starmandb » Sun Jul 25, 2021 9:59 am

Özim wrote:
Nuggets wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:
swipe right wrote:Sold Emi for 27 mil.
Buying Ramsdale for 30 mil.
How does Edu have a job?

That's criminal, no words for that.

Kroenke is being fleeced.

Arsenal have been told by Sheffield United to raise their offer for 32-year-old Aaron Ramsdale to more than £32m after having two bids rejected for the goalkeeper :rolleyes:

The guy is 32 why are we willing to pay anywhere near that?

He is 23
starmandb
Member of the Year 2018, 2020

Postby starmandb » Sun Jul 25, 2021 10:09 am

Goonerred wrote:But we're talking about players in the PL, one I've never heard of until he played in a friendly for England, and the other who isn't top notch.

Ben white had a very good game for Leeds against us in the fa cup in 19/20
starmandb

Postby jayramfootball » Sun Jul 25, 2021 11:14 am

starmandb wrote:
Goonerred wrote:But we're talking about players in the PL, one I've never heard of until he played in a friendly for England, and the other who isn't top notch.

Ben white had a very good game for Leeds against us in the fa cup in 19/20

I think he might be back in the UK today - possibly an announcement later?...
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Phil71 » Sun Jul 25, 2021 11:30 am

starmandb wrote:
Özim wrote:
Nuggets wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:
How does Edu have a job?

Arsenal have been told by Sheffield United to raise their offer for 32-year-old Aaron Ramsdale to more than £32m after having two bids rejected for the goalkeeper :rolleyes:

He is 23

But you'd see 32 if you really wanted to.
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby starmandb » Sun Jul 25, 2021 1:53 pm

Phil71 wrote:
starmandb wrote:
Özim wrote:
Nuggets wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:
How does Edu have a job?

He is 23

32 for a goalkeeper
It’s a wonder seaman could get up the stairs to pick up the 5 honours he won after that age
Still I saw a negative and jumped on it coz I wanna be in the don’t get excited,everything’s shit gang
It seems they have such larks….
starmandb

Postby Zenith » Sun Jul 25, 2021 10:09 pm

Zenith
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Location: Across the North Sea, 200-something miles away from The Grove

Postby Salibatelli » Sun Jul 25, 2021 11:30 pm

starmandb wrote:
Phil71 wrote:
starmandb wrote:
Özim wrote:
Nuggets wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:
How does Edu have a job?

He is 23

32 for a goalkeeper
It’s a wonder seaman could get up the stairs to pick up the 5 honours he won after that age
Still I saw a negative and jumped on it coz I wanna be in the don’t get excited,everything’s shit gang

You don’t pay 32 milllion for a 32 year old keeper, that way my point.

Ramsdale isn’t worth 32 million at 23 anyway, he’s nowhere near as good as Martinez whom we sold for 20 million.

As for your comment about Seaman, you’re talking about one of the greatest keepers ever, but even so at 32 he wouldn’t have cost 32 million.

None of these keepers mentioned can compare to him by any stretch of the imagination.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby Salibatelli » Sun Jul 25, 2021 11:31 pm

Phil71 wrote:
starmandb wrote:
Özim wrote:
Nuggets wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:
How does Edu have a job?

He is 23

Or wait for it…..the highlighted quote says 32.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby jayramfootball » Sun Jul 25, 2021 11:44 pm

Özim wrote:
starmandb wrote:
Phil71 wrote:
starmandb wrote:
Özim wrote:
Nuggets wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:
How does Edu have a job?

He is 23

32 for a goalkeeper

Ramsdale isn’t worth 32 million at 23 anyway, he’s nowhere near as good as Martinez whom we sold for 20 million.

As for your comment about Seaman, you’re talking about one of the greatest keepers ever, but even so at 32 he wouldn’t have cost 32 million.

None of these keepers mentioned can compare to him by any stretch of the imagination.

Ramsdale is a good goalkeeper.
He will make us better if he joins.
We do need a goalkeeper.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Salibatelli » Mon Jul 26, 2021 12:13 am

jayramfootball wrote:
Özim wrote:
starmandb wrote:
Phil71 wrote:
starmandb wrote:
Özim wrote:
Nuggets wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:
How does Edu have a job?

He is 23

32 for a goalkeeper

We do need a goalkeeper.

I don’t think he’s an upgrade on Leno to be honest, there’s better ways to spend 32 million than on a Sheff Utd keeper who’s been relegated twice already.

Honestly we shouldn’t be paying more than 15-20 million for a keeper from a relegated team.

On talent it would be better to sign the Ajax guy who is banned until November, he’d be a lot cheaper and is a lot better.

Granted he got banned which isn’t a great start, but if the alternative is to spend 32 million on this guy I think he’s the better option.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby Arsenal Tone » Mon Jul 26, 2021 2:35 am

Özim wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
Özim wrote:
starmandb wrote:
Phil71 wrote:
starmandb wrote:
Özim wrote:
Nuggets wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:
How does Edu have a job?

He is 23

32 for a goalkeeper

We do need a goalkeeper.

I don’t think he’s an upgrade on Leno to be honest, there’s better ways to spend 32 million than on a Sheff Utd keeper who’s been relegated twice already.

Honestly we shouldn’t be paying more than 15-20 million for a keeper from a relegated team.

On talent it would be better to sign the Ajax guy who is banned until November, he’d be a lot cheaper and is a lot better.

Granted he got banned which isn’t a great start, but if the alternative is to spend 32 million on this guy I think he’s the better option.
Sign both. Ramsdale gets playing time til November, then loan him out in January.
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk