2021 Summer Transfer Window

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

How would you classify this transfer window?

Poor
41%
Average
41%
Good
6%
Great
13%

Total votes : 32

Re: 2021 Summer Transfer Window

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Tue Jun 01, 2021 2:51 pm

Besides possible replacements for Leno and Xhaka, I'm OK with not spending much this summer. We have spent a fortune to only achieve sub-standard results. Short of a team mutiny like in 2019, I don't see us getting worse.

Spending £80m or thereabouts just to qualify for a £20-30m comp like Europa League makes no sense to me. Arteta will never get Top 4 with his current tactical setup, so let's stop pretending that it's the investment that's falling short.
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby VCC » Tue Jun 01, 2021 6:28 pm

aniym wrote:Besides possible replacements for Leno and Xhaka, I'm OK with not spending much this summer. We have spent a fortune to only achieve sub-standard results. Short of a team mutiny like in 2019, I don't see us getting worse.

Spending £80m or thereabouts just to qualify for a £20-30m comp like Europa League makes no sense to me. Arteta will never get Top 4 with his current tactical setup, so let's stop pretending that it's the investment that's falling short.

Actually agree,
Gk and partner for party
Then release the youngsters on the PL, should be less chance of injuries without europe.
If we lose a forward in the window replace.
VCC
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby theHotHead » Wed Jun 02, 2021 11:48 am

Arteta doesn't deserve to be allowed to spend money. He should be made to show he can get the players we have playing football. The last thing I want is for us to spunk more dosh on players and have Arteta screw things up - again.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby Paddy » Wed Jun 02, 2021 11:54 am

VCC wrote:
aniym wrote:Besides possible replacements for Leno and Xhaka, I'm OK with not spending much this summer. We have spent a fortune to only achieve sub-standard results. Short of a team mutiny like in 2019, I don't see us getting worse.

Actually agree,
Gk and partner for party
Then release the youngsters on the PL, should be less chance of injuries without europe.
If we lose a forward in the window replace.

we lack creativity so we def need something attacking wise.

out of the top 8 we scored the least amount of goals in the league.
Paddy
Ian Wright
Ian Wright

Postby ag6789 » Wed Jun 02, 2021 2:24 pm

If Sterling and Buendia arrives, how will it help?
ag6789
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Angelito » Wed Jun 02, 2021 4:47 pm

What are we waiting for?

Also, lol @ ESR to Villa.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Salibatelli » Wed Jun 02, 2021 4:54 pm

Angelito wrote:

What are we waiting for?

Also, lol @ ESR to Villa.

Probably for pigs to fly.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby Callum » Wed Jun 02, 2021 5:16 pm

Not a chance Bernardo would come to us.
Callum
SE13
SE13

Postby Angelito » Wed Jun 02, 2021 5:33 pm

Callum wrote:Not a chance Bernardo would come to us.

Sure, he would. If we had a manager who could sell the project to him. Ozil and Alexis joined us at their primes when we weren't winning trophies. And, they were miles better than B.Silva.

Arteta has also worked with him before. If Arteta impressed him as an assistant, he would think of this as a good opportunity to become the star-player at the club.

Not many clubs could afford him. Based on my estimation, PSG, United, Atlético, Chelsea, and Arsenal are the five clubs that can. Juve already have a huge wage problem. Real are struggling financially. Barca would be perfect for him, but they're struggling to generate funds to sack Koeman.

City won't sell to United or Chelsea. That brings it down to Arsenal, Atleti, and PSG. Atleti have other targets. The last time we were in a transfer battle with PSG and ManU, Ozil chose Arsenal because of Arsene Wenger.

It's not outlandish at all. James and Allan joined Everton oweing to Ancelotti's star appeal. He'd worked with both before. Arteta doesn't quite have that charisma but he manages Arsenal and has worked with B.Silva before.

If PSG outprices us, or if he picks PSG, sure, fine. But if these reports are true. If he wants to leave. If City are willing to sell. We'd be stupid not to pursue him.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Salibatelli » Wed Jun 02, 2021 5:38 pm

Trouble is we don’t have any money, we’re having to sell to buy anyone of note thanks to Arteta and his terrible performance.

We know the Kroenkes won’t put extra money in so with us making huge losses sales are the only way to raise money for transfers, no European football won’t help.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby ag6789 » Wed Jun 02, 2021 6:09 pm

Not true. Josh K said he would invest more coming season. From sales of fringe players and new investment, we could have a decent packet at hand. The important thing is will it be spent wisely?
ag6789
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Salibatelli » Wed Jun 02, 2021 6:53 pm

I don’t believe it, it was just a deflection tactic to sell season tickets and take the heat off them after the ESL debacle.

You can see all the players were being linked with and they aren’t big signings, they’re freebies and cheap buys.

We’ll have money from player sales but seeing as we’re going to post a huge loss I can’t see much else being available.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Wed Jun 02, 2021 7:27 pm

ag6789 wrote:Not true. Josh K said he would invest more coming season. From sales of fringe players and new investment, we could have a decent packet at hand. The important thing is will it be spent wisely?

£72m on Pepe
£45m on Partey
Willian's retirement package
£5m/yr for the manager

Signs point to no.
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby theHotHead » Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:49 pm

Özim wrote:Trouble is we don’t have any money, we’re having to sell to buy anyone of note thanks to Arteta and his terrible performance.

We know the Kroenkes won’t put extra money in so with us making huge losses sales are the only way to raise money for transfers, no European football won’t help.

How do you know? We smashed our alleged transfer budget the season we bought Pepe, we smashed it again last season. There is no evidence whatsoever that Kroenke won't sanction purchases we need.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby Salibatelli » Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:57 pm

theHotHead wrote:
Özim wrote:Trouble is we don’t have any money, we’re having to sell to buy anyone of note thanks to Arteta and his terrible performance.

How do you know? We smashed our alleged transfer budget the season we bought Pepe, we smashed it again last season. There is no evidence whatsoever that Kroenke won't sanction purchases we need.

It’s all from money we earnt, or we’re going to earn going forward as we spread the cost over several years, so it’s affecting our budget every summer until it’s paid as well.

Kroenke didn’t put any money in from outside the club for those, hence the season installment payment.

Of course we didn’t count on a pandemic, hence the huge losses, talk is our losses will be 100 million plus next time round.

We already know Kroenke has never put any outside money in, all the money spent was from the “self sustaining” model, he has no interest in putting extra money in, never has.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk