2021 Summer Transfer Window

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

How would you classify this transfer window?

Poor
41%
Average
41%
Good
6%
Great
13%

Total votes : 32

Re: 2021 Summer Transfer Window

Postby Nuggets » Sun Jun 13, 2021 2:17 pm

theHotHead wrote:Arsenal are a major draw to 90% of the football world, its only the best of the best and the almost best of the best that wouldn't consider coming here.

Anyone that says otherwise is chatting Hezbollah

:rofll: :rofll:
Nuggets
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner

Postby DiamondGooner » Sun Jun 13, 2021 3:57 pm

theHotHead wrote:Arsenal are a major draw to 90% of the football world, its only the best of the best and the almost best of the best that wouldn't consider coming here.

Anyone that says otherwise is chatting Hezbollah

............... no, not anymore they aren't.

Buendia disagrees with you.

The state of the club plus not being in Europe is what's making us unattractive now, people act like there aren't 20+ other choices out there.

Look at the players we're going for.

Even Willian and Xhaka think they're too good for us.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby starmandb » Sun Jun 13, 2021 5:22 pm

aniym wrote:
Jedi wrote:
Paddy wrote:@David_Ornstein: Arsenal preparing move for Brighton defender Ben White. No club-to-club contact yet but expected in due course. Could take ~£40-50m — unlikely to be insurmountable for #AFC. Interest 1st reported by @johncrossmirror.

Wtf

What about saliba?!

Seriously this club man.

We're playing trash all over the pitch and we're gonna drop ~ 50 mil on ANOTHER centerback?????. How is another CB a priority???????????

We better have 150 mil to spend or something, otherwise this is a joke

LOL Saliba's never going to kick a ball for the senior XI.

Arteta has been acting like he doesn't exist for over a year, and it's worked. All we have done is send him the message that he isn't wanted.

Saliba played at pre season friendlys
At mk dons and home to villa in aug and sept
starmandb
Member of the Year 2018, 2020

Postby starmandb » Sun Jun 13, 2021 5:28 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:Couldn't agree more, this will cause us issues getting the targets we want, its going to be a long window and I wonder how much genuine improvement is even going to be made ........... however I'd settle for a change in personnel simply for an transfer of attitude.

But Arsenal were recently warned that many of their targets will turn them down this summer because of one key issue.

“Arsenal have never been that much of an attractive option to me,” former Celtic and West Ham man Frank McAvennie told Football Insider.

“They have too many duds. They have a lot of players who think they are better than they actually are.

“Half of their team is like that. They all think they are superstars and they aren’t. Really, they aren’t even close.

“They don’t play together, they aren’t really a team. The gap is getting further between them and those top clubs.

“Why would a decent player want to join that?”

https://www.teamtalk.com/news/arsenal-o ... o-transfer

The same player that turned us down when George Graham had agreed to sign him in 1989
That went well
Arsenal won title West Ham relegated without him scoring a goal
Still it’s worth a post to have another pop at the Arsenal
starmandb

Postby Angelito » Sun Jun 13, 2021 5:30 pm

Yeah, DG is right, HH.

Don't think we're that big of a draw anymore. The only attraction is London right now. That can change, however, if we hired a top quality manager. The infrastructure and allure is already present.

As I've mentioned before, we don't seem to have clear-cut transfer targets this summer. Either that, or Edu and Mikel have planned an ace in the hole.

One thing, I've been thinking about: Arteta idolizes Pep and tries to copy him. While Pep is an amazing tactician and a superb coach in helping his players improve, he's not that good in transfers.

As a matter of fact, he's never had to rebuild sides from the scratch. He's never managed the whole club like Wenger and SAF have either.

At Barca, he revolutionized them, but he had a core ready and waiting—Messi, Xavi, Iniesta, Henry, Eto'o, Puyol, Busquets, etc. Ditto Bayern. Plus, Bayern have an amazing recruitment strategy.

When he joined City, he already had a fantastic core—Aguero, de Bruyne, Silva, Kompany, Fernandhino, Sterling, Yaya, etc.

Despite having such amazing spines at each club he's been, he's been allowed to spend around €1b during his career. Astonishing really.

Barca, Bayern, and City have a prolific football unit that oversee transfers, academy, and work together with managers in improving the first team.

That said, when Pep did try meddling in transfers, he executed a deal worth €50m + Eto'o for Zlatan. Pep also has this habit of hoarding defenders or should I say, buying one defender after the other until something sticks. That seems to have rubbed off on Arteta. Except, at Arsenal, it doesn't work quite like that.

Here, Arteta is one of two people who directly oversee transfers. Neither does he have that experience, nor has he figured out a stable, consistent starting eleven to suggest that he's ready to take such a responsibility.

Training players to improve or coaching them in a certain style is one thing. Spotting talents or unearthing gems is another skill altogether.

It's quite concerning.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby DiamondGooner » Sun Jun 13, 2021 6:12 pm

starmandb wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:Couldn't agree more, this will cause us issues getting the targets we want, its going to be a long window and I wonder how much genuine improvement is even going to be made ........... however I'd settle for a change in personnel simply for an transfer of attitude.

But Arsenal were recently warned that many of their targets will turn them down this summer because of one key issue.

“Arsenal have never been that much of an attractive option to me,” former Celtic and West Ham man Frank McAvennie told Football Insider.

“They have too many duds. They have a lot of players who think they are better than they actually are.

“Half of their team is like that. They all think they are superstars and they aren’t. Really, they aren’t even close.

“They don’t play together, they aren’t really a team. The gap is getting further between them and those top clubs.

The same player that turned us down when George Graham had agreed to sign him in 1989
That went well

Its about impressions of people outside our bubble, which depsite what some of us think, does matter.

If we were doing well people couldn't "have a pop" at Arsenal, that's what I want, us to improve how this club is run so we're not a laughing stock.

Even our opposition fans don't even bother bantering us anymore, they pity us, we're out of that conversation between Utd, Liverpool, Chelsea etc.

You may be happy with the status quo, but I want AFC to be a force in the top 4 again.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Sun Jun 13, 2021 6:31 pm

Our last big name signing was PEA 3.5 seasons ago. The others have been mostly disastrous. We are seriously overrating the pull we have.
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby starmandb » Sun Jun 13, 2021 6:38 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:
starmandb wrote:

That went well

Its about impressions of people outside our bubble, which depsite what some of us think, does matter.

If we were doing well people couldn't "have a pop" at Arsenal, that's what I want, us to improve how this club is run so we're not a laughing stock.

Even our opposition fans don't even bother bantering us anymore, they pity us, we're out of that conversation between Utd, Liverpool, Chelsea etc.

You may be happy with the status quo, but I want AFC to be a force in the top 4 again.

And it helps when own fans buy into shit like above how?
starmandb

Postby DiamondGooner » Sun Jun 13, 2021 7:03 pm

starmandb wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:
starmandb wrote:

That went well

Because a lot of what he's saying is true.

We do have too many bang average players who think they're stars yet they can't even win the Europa league for toffee, now we're not even in Europe.

The attitude at AFC is all types of wrong, we're hiring amatuers in every position of authority.

Tell me, what experience does Edu, Josh Kroenke, Vinai and Arteta have combined to run a successful football club?

Arteta's never managed before, Vinai is an Accountant, Edu is a minor league transfer fixer and Josh doesn't even know what Offside is.

........... again, you carry on treating the way AFC is run as acceptable that's your opinion, some of us want better for this club.

If we don't let AFC know that what they're doing is tarnishing the club then this new low standard becomes the new normal.

Tbf they could fix most of the above by hiring a no-nonsense well organised, experienced manager ............. you know, someone like Tuchel or Klopp who we keep passing up hanging on to deadwood managers and letting our opposition get the benefits of.

Is it co-incidence they've won PL titles and CL Cups? or was it accidental?
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Nuggets » Sun Jun 13, 2021 7:14 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:
starmandb wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:
starmandb wrote:

That went well

Because a lot of what he's saying is true.

We do have too many bang average players who think they're stars yet they can't even win the Europa league for toffee, now we're not even in Europe.

The attitude at AFC is all types of wrong, we're hiring amatuers in every position of authority.

Tell me, what experience does Edu, Josh Kroenke, Vinai and Arteta have combined to run a successful football club?

Arteta's never managed before, Vinai is an Accountant, Edu is a minor league transfer fixer and Josh doesn't even know what Offside is.

........... again, you carry on treating the way AFC is run as acceptable that's your opinion, some of us want better for this club.

If we don't let AFC know that what they're doing is tarnishing the club then this new low standard becomes the new normal.

Tbf they could fix most of the above by hiring a no-nonsense well organised, experienced manager ............. you know, someone like Tuchel or Klopp who we keep passing up hanging on to deadwood managers and letting our opposition get the benefits of.

Is it co-incidence they've won PL titles and CL Cups? or was it accidental?

Correct, well said :clap:
Nuggets

Postby starmandb » Sun Jun 13, 2021 8:00 pm

What I don’t think is acceptable is for every Tom dick and Harry to have a pop at the Arsenal and it to be taken as gospel
No ceiling on my expectations for Arsenal and I am far from happy with how things are
I don’t feel the need to dive in on every negative. Misery never lacks company.
It’s the default protection position
I enjoy supporting Arsenal
starmandb

Postby starmandb » Sun Jun 13, 2021 8:19 pm

What I don’t think is acceptable is for every Tom dick and Harry to have a pop at the Arsenal and it to be taken as gospel
No ceiling on my expectations for Arsenal and I am far from happy with how things are
starmandb

Postby DiamondGooner » Sun Jun 13, 2021 8:24 pm

starmandb wrote:What I don’t think is acceptable is for every Tom dick and Harry to have a pop at the Arsenal and it to be taken as gospel

Amazing, but you've missed the point.

This is the Transfer window thread, it's not just a chance to have a pop at AFC, its the relevant discussion on how our poor situation and current reputation is going to effect our transfer targets and opportunities.

We've already seen it with Buendia and when it comes to what people think of us it is entirely relevant to this subject of whether or not people from outside of our bubble are going to want to come here.

So no point in trying silence or play down other peoples views just because you don't like to hear it, we can't stick our fingers in our ears and wonder why Championship players are passing us up for Aston Villa.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Paddy » Sun Jun 13, 2021 9:03 pm

starmandb wrote:What I don’t think is acceptable is for every Tom dick and Harry to have a pop at the Arsenal and it to be taken as gospel

yes we should be happy about finishing 8th two seasons in a row. how dare we!
Paddy
Ian Wright
Ian Wright

Postby theHotHead » Sun Jun 13, 2021 9:18 pm

aniym wrote:Our last big name signing was PEA 3.5 seasons ago. The others have been mostly disastrous. We are seriously overrating the pull we have.

I'll tell you why thats not the case, because when Liverpool were winning nothing at all for years, their history enabled them to buy the same sort of players we need right now. History counts, the size of the club counts, we haven't become nobodies just because we are not in Europe and because we haven't won a league title for a while. It doesn't work like that ! Same with Man U, hadn't won anything significant for 30 years or so but still attracted the best players.
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk