2021 Summer Transfer Window

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

How would you classify this transfer window?

Poor
41%
Average
41%
Good
6%
Great
13%

Total votes : 32

Re: 2021 Summer Transfer Window

Postby DiamondGooner » Sun Jul 11, 2021 10:10 am

Tony Adams wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:
Tony Adams wrote:
swipe right wrote:Realistic signings this summer.
1. Tavares
2. White
3. Lokonga
4. Neves
5. Maddison
That'd be a good window. Add a back up striker (a plan b type like Onuachu) and it'd be the best window in years.

Really?

Even if we made all those signings (I think Maddison won't happen and Neves has died down) those signings suck.

Bar White, there's barely any good players on that list.

The only thing I like is that it moves on the deadwood that think they're better than they are, but we're replacing them with pure mediocrity.

Lokonga, Tavares, Neves?? wtf are they going to do to push us to top 4?

Honest question ........... if Spurs signed those players, would we be shtting ourselves? no, the truth is we'd be saying "Give a sht".

That's the reality of it.

They are the type of signings leicester and liverpool have been making that keep us below them. They also fill gaps. Not having cover at LB cost us massively. Xhaka and Ceballos needed replacing. Holding was good but not world class, maybe White will be better, sounds like he's better at playing out from the back.

Leicester players put in proper effort and are highly competitive that's why, yes that is the one thing I am hoping for, that getting rid of the established mediocrity can be replaced by the new more determined mediocrity .......... but its still mediocrity.

Skill wise I'm just not seeing the new guys as a jump up, I mean are they really better than Xhaka technically?

I don't think the Liverpool comparison is fair, they sign good players, yes maybe not "flashy" players, but solid good players, I mean this is the same Liverpool who signed Couthino and spent £80m on a CB, so its not like they don't buy top talent as well.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Arsenal Tone » Sun Jul 11, 2021 10:27 am

DiamondGooner wrote:
Tony Adams wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:
Tony Adams wrote:
1. Tavares
2. White
3. Lokonga
4. Neves
5. Maddison
That'd be a good window. Add a back up striker (a plan b type like Onuachu) and it'd be the best window in years.

Really?

Even if we made all those signings (I think Maddison won't happen and Neves has died down) those signings suck.

The only thing I like is that it moves on the deadwood that think they're better than they are, but we're replacing them with pure mediocrity.

Honest question ........... if Spurs signed those players, would we be shtting ourselves? no, the truth is we'd be saying "Give a sht".

They are the type of signings leicester and liverpool have been making that keep us below them. They also fill gaps. Not having cover at LB cost us massively. Xhaka and Ceballos needed replacing. Holding was good but not world class, maybe White will be better, sounds like he's better at playing out from the back.

Leicester players put in proper effort and are highly competitive that's why, yes that is the one thing I am hoping for, that getting rid of the established mediocrity can be replaced by the new more determined mediocrity .......... but its still mediocrity.

Skill wise I'm just not seeing the new guys as a jump up, I mean are they really better than Xhaka technically?

I don't think the Liverpool comparison is fair, they sign good players, yes maybe not "flashy" players, but solid good players, I mean this is the same Liverpool who signed Couthino and spent £80m on a CB, so its not like they don't buy top talent as well.

I'm thinking of them as henderson, wijnaldum, maddison types.

It doesn't matter if neves isn't as technical as xhaka if he makes less mistakes and offers better protection for the back four. From what i've read, White is more 'technical' than holding.

I hate the word 'technical' btw. Wenger used to use it for players who were all skill and no physical presence. Fabregas was more technical than Vieira but I'd choose Vieira over him every time.
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby swipe right » Sun Jul 11, 2021 11:13 am

Tony Adams wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:
Tony Adams wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:
Tony Adams wrote:
1. Tavares
2. White
3. Lokonga
4. Neves
5. Maddison

Really?

It doesn't matter if neves isn't as technical as xhaka if he makes less mistakes and offers better protection for the back four. From what i've read, White is more 'technical' than holding.

I hate the word 'technical' btw. Wenger used to use it for players who were all skill and no physical presence. Fabregas was more technical than Vieira but I'd choose Vieira over him every time.

Fabregas single handedly kept us in top four for many seasons. Most underrated Arsenal player ever.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Ach » Sun Jul 11, 2021 11:17 am

:rofll:
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby Salibatelli » Sun Jul 11, 2021 11:42 am

Tony Adams wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:
Tony Adams wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:
Tony Adams wrote:
1. Tavares
2. White
3. Lokonga
4. Neves
5. Maddison

Really?

Liverpool spent big money on key players, a CB and a keeper.

Then they added Fabinho for big money too.

Liverpool make big signings but also their team have an eye for talent.

This Arsenal team and manager don’t.

As for Leicester, again their team is vastly superior at spotting talent, I mean they signed Fofana and played him, we signed Saliba and loaned him out without so much as looking at him, utterly clueless.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Sun Jul 11, 2021 12:14 pm

What's the status of other expected player exits? AMN, Nelson, Nketiah, Willock, Torreira, Willian. Surely they're not in Arteta's plans for next season.
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby theHotHead » Sun Jul 11, 2021 12:59 pm

Tony Adams wrote:
1. Tavares
2. White
3. Lokonga
4. Neves
5. Maddison

Are you taking the piss??? None of those players is a great purchase not even Maddison, especially at the price Maddison will be valued at. I prefer ESR to Maddison, Maddison is a bit all show but not enough end product.

If the goal is to pad out the squad with a load of mediocrity I will agree, its the best window in years.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby theHotHead » Sun Jul 11, 2021 1:04 pm

The Vieira/Fabregas comparison makes no sense, 2 very good players playing in 2 very distinct periods and playing 2 very different roles.

Man U were dominating at the time Vieira joined, he helped make Arsenal great and there was a top 2 in the league. So inevitably Arsenal won a lot. When Fabregas came to the fore Vieira was leaving, the Invincibles were being broken up, Fabregas carried the team through the hard years of battling not only Man U but Chelsea too. Fabregas' numbers speak for themselves.

You cannot compare the 2 players, they were both incredible for Arsenal.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby swipe right » Sun Jul 11, 2021 1:25 pm

Auba/Saka - Laca/Auba - Saka/Pepe
Maddison/ESR
Neves/Lokonga - Partey/El Neny
Tierney/Tavares - Gabriel/Mari - White/Holding - Bellerin/Suarez
Leno/?
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby theHotHead » Sun Jul 11, 2021 3:28 pm

However way I look at that team sheet I am not impressed, it doesn't look like any improvement over last season at all.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby jayramfootball » Sun Jul 11, 2021 4:01 pm

The blank copies of the team sheets for Arteta to fill out each week should have Tierney, Martinelli, Saka and ESR already printed on them.
Baring injury he should only be considering 7 spots.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Arsenal Tone » Sun Jul 11, 2021 4:35 pm

^ Gabriel and Partey too tbf
Raya/Ramsdale
???/Jorginho
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby Ach » Sun Jul 11, 2021 4:37 pm

Tony Adams wrote:^ Gabriel and Partey too tbf

Both bang average at best so far tbh but yeah I'd give them another season.
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby Arsenal Tone » Sun Jul 11, 2021 6:41 pm

Ach wrote:

Other than the four player of the month awards in a row gabriel won :rolleyes:
Raya/Ramsdale
???/Jorginho
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby Ach » Sun Jul 11, 2021 6:43 pm

Tony Adams wrote:
Ach wrote:

Other than the four player of the month awards in a row gabriel won :rolleyes:

Someone had to win them lol

Best of a bad bunch
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk