2021 Summer Transfer Window

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

How would you classify this transfer window?

Poor
41%
Average
41%
Good
6%
Great
13%

Total votes : 32

Re: 2021 Summer Transfer Window

Postby Ach » Sun Aug 01, 2021 4:47 pm

Tony Adams wrote:Until a week or two ago I was happy. Rumours that Bellerin, Xhaka and Leno were being replaced had me trusting the process. Now we've started the business end of pre-season all three are still here, rumours that they are staying and we see two of them (Leno and Bellerin) have an awful game two weeks before the season starts.

We can't wait til deadline day. We offloaded players in January, so didn't need to wait to make signings. Can't believe I fell for the media BS again.

Told you
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby Arsenal Tone » Sun Aug 01, 2021 4:49 pm

Ach wrote:
Tony Adams wrote:Until a week or two ago I was happy. Rumours that Bellerin, Xhaka and Leno were being replaced had me trusting the process. Now we've started the business end of pre-season all three are still here, rumours that they are staying and we see two of them (Leno and Bellerin) have an awful game two weeks before the season starts.

We can't wait til deadline day. We offloaded players in January, so didn't need to wait to make signings. Can't believe I fell for the media BS again.

Told you
Yeah, fair play. FFS
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby elkanofan » Sun Aug 01, 2021 4:54 pm

alexafc12 wrote:Reports that Bellerin is in the same boat as Xhaka.

He wants to leave. No one wants to pay what were asking. He'll stay.

Why does no one want our players ?!

They are on huge wages and will sit here until some other club matches them or a club gives them a satisfactory offer to cushion their ego.

We are now well underway into a global financial apocalypse, nobody has any guaranteed money so finding suitors is very difficult for overpriced, overrated players.
elkanofan
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Arsenal Tone » Sun Aug 01, 2021 6:45 pm

The one thing we needed was a top CM. If Sambi isn't ready then Partey's injury means we'll be going into the season with Xhaka and Elneny. That is unforgivable.
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby Nuggets » Sun Aug 01, 2021 6:53 pm

Expected very little got very little change there then thank you the chuckle brothers
Nuggets
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner

Postby jayramfootball » Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:54 pm

TedLasso wrote:Sambi looks a helluva lot more “ready” than Elneny

Yeah - he's looked pretty good in pre season...
May get a chance to start quicker than he would have thought with the Partey injury.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby DiamondGooner » Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:36 pm

We need without question.

A CM to bench Xhaka.

A CF, especially if Arteta is going to persist with his crap 4-2-3-1 when with the players he has we should be switching to a 4-3-3 or some other formation, we need a target man, Laca, Auba none of them are good enough at playing CF........... this problem could be resolved with what we have by switching to 2 up front but again, Arteta isn't going to play that.

A RB, we need to bench Bellerin, the guy caused us to lose a goal today ffs and he wants to go, either promote Cedric or Chambers or buy a Bellerin replacement.

A GK ............. does this need explaining, should sell Leno and buy back Martinez or someone else.

GK, CM and CF are an absolute must.......... if we could get a new manager as well that would be ideal.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Santi » Sun Aug 01, 2021 11:07 pm

Need a CM and a RB.

Simply sell Xhaka and Bellerin and being in good replacements. Then we will have a half decent squad for once.
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby theHotHead » Mon Aug 02, 2021 12:55 pm

Nuggets wrote:Arsenal are at risk of losing five of their players for free when their contracts run out next year. The Gunners could lose Alexandre Lacazette, Callum Chambers, Sead Kolasinic, Mohamed Elneny and Eddie Nketiah who are all worth a combined total of £65 million.

Players who have six months left on their contract could negotiate a move away in the January transfer window and leave for nothing at the end of their contract.
It's amazing that this could happen where is the accountability?

Good !! I hope it happens, Burn up more of Kroenke's money, dyam eejuts !
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby jayramfootball » Mon Aug 02, 2021 12:59 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:We need without question.

A CM to bench Xhaka.

A CF, especially if Arteta is going to persist with his crap 4-2-3-1 when with the players he has we should be switching to a 4-3-3 or some other formation, we need a target man, Laca, Auba none of them are good enough at playing CF........... this problem could be resolved with what we have by switching to 2 up front but again, Arteta isn't going to play that.

A RB, we need to bench Bellerin, the guy caused us to lose a goal today ffs and he wants to go, either promote Cedric or Chambers or buy a Bellerin replacement.

A GK ............. does this need explaining, should sell Leno and buy back Martinez or someone else.

GK, CM and CF are an absolute must.......... if we could get a new manager as well that would be ideal.

GK, CF, CM - pretty much, yes... especially as we can not rely on Partey.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby theHotHead » Fri Aug 06, 2021 1:25 pm

jayramfootball wrote:
alexafc12 wrote:Reports that Bellerin is in the same boat as Xhaka.

He wants to leave. No one wants to pay what were asking. He'll stay.

Why does no one want our players ?!

Because the players who were brought in over a number of years were simply not good enough.
They are on high wages, brought about by a wage model that overpays average players, and simply are not worth it.
Bellerin was never a good defender and now he's old and coming back from injury his attacking play has also diminished.
Xhaka is just too error-prone.
The club are just going to have to bite the bullet - I certainly think giving them a new contract is a mistake.

Nobody ever knows if any player bought from another team will work out, you are not even certain that buying from another PRem team will work, see Willian as an example.

We bought Lokonga and Tavares, nobody knows if they will work out, The Xhaka purchase on the face of it was not a bad purchase, he looked a decent player, just hasn't worked out for us. You can't expect to buy players settled at a club and offer them poor wages, they won't leave, so we can't keep complaining about high wages, we are not the only club with the same set of constraints and unknowns - when it comes to player purchases. I don't think the wage model is a problem, show me a club whose wages have not spiralled in the last 5-10 years.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby theHotHead » Fri Aug 06, 2021 1:30 pm

I agree, if we get a decent CM and RB we have a very good squad, I don't give a damn what anyone else says !
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby Angelito » Fri Aug 06, 2021 4:03 pm

Jez wrote:French and Spanish clubs are financially bust atm, they need to sell players. Why are we not looking at players from there to snag on the cheap? Are there no players that could improve us?!

Reminds me of the Cazorla situation where we took advantage of Malaga's dire financial situation to snap him up on the cheap.

Step it up Edu.

Surprising, isn't it?

The one time we could poach talented players from other leagues for cut-price fees, we look into the English market, which is already overinflated.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Fri Aug 06, 2021 4:35 pm

Jez wrote:French and Spanish clubs are financially bust atm, they need to sell players. Why are we not looking at players from there to snag on the cheap? Are there no players that could improve us?!

Reminds me of the Cazorla situation where we took advantage of Malaga's dire financial situation to snap him up on the cheap.

Step it up Edu.

Aouar apparently wants a move. Lyon willing to sell at a discount. Edu's over here begging Leicester accept 3x the fee to sign Maddison.
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Salibatelli » Fri Aug 06, 2021 5:01 pm

Yeah it’s laughable, we overpay massively for a relatively unproven centre when that 50 million could have bought us two top talents, we already had a CB in Saliba as well.

If you can get it wrong this club will do it, I honestly don’t know what goes through these peoples’ heads.

I’m not against Lokonga for the future but for about 8 million more we get an established players ready for the 1st team, personally I think that would have been a wiser investment given our current situation.
Last edited by Salibatelli on Fri Aug 06, 2021 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk