The decline of Arsenal FC

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Low point from which we'll bounce back, or our new reality?

We'll bounce back
36%
This is our new reality
64%

Total votes : 33

Re: The decline of Arsenal FC

Postby Goonerred » Thu May 13, 2021 9:52 am

VCC wrote:
Goonerred wrote:If Arteta stays - and he probably will - the summer transfer dealings are crucial. If we don't improve on what we've got, maybe get rid of a few, nothing will change. How can it?

What old players are out there looking for a pension that's all we are going to get

You never know, we might get some hungry young players in who will fight for victories.
Goonerred
Predictions League 2021-22 Winner, Member of the Year 2022
Predictions League 2021-22 Winner, Member of the Year 2022

Postby VCC » Thu May 13, 2021 9:58 am

Goonerred wrote:
VCC wrote:
Goonerred wrote:If Arteta stays - and he probably will - the summer transfer dealings are crucial. If we don't improve on what we've got, maybe get rid of a few, nothing will change. How can it?

What old players are out there looking for a pension that's all we are going to get

You never know, we might get some hungry young players in who will fight for victories.

To be honest that is what Arteta needs, I dont think any of his old pros would rate him,
They all look to me like they turn up do what they have too.
If it was not for the youngsters this season it would have been very much worse.
And give thought to next season will be the hardest for saka and ESR 2nd season always is.
VCC
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Santi » Thu May 13, 2021 9:58 am

Phil71 wrote:Arsenal 0-3 Aston Villa
Arsenal 1 - 2 Wolves
Arsenal 0-1 Burnley
Arsenal 1-1 Southampton
Arsenal 0-0 Palace

If we had won those games we'd by in 3rd place right now.

Would take out the villa game since we just genuinely got d*cked there, can’t argue with the result.

Wolves f***ked by Luiz foul and red card
Burnley f***ked by Xhaka red and Auba OG
Southampton f***ked by Gabriel red that should never have been

Palace I can’t fully remember tbh but think 0-0 was fair so leave that one as well.

Just take the stupid mistakes and decisions out of those 3 games and it could’ve been massively different. Yes it’s if’s and but’s which mean nothing really but it is frustrating that we cost ourselves time and again.
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby alexafc12 » Thu May 13, 2021 4:27 pm

Santi wrote:
Arsenal 1 - 2 Wolves
Arsenal 0-1 Burnley
Arsenal 1-1 Southampton
Arsenal 0-0 Palace

Would take out the villa game since we just genuinely got d*cked there, can’t argue with the result.

Palace I can’t fully remember tbh but think 0-0 was fair so leave that one as well.

Just take the stupid mistakes and decisions out of those 3 games and it could’ve been massively different. Yes it’s if’s and but’s which mean nothing really but it is frustrating that we cost ourselves time and again.

I was in the same boat a few months back. But more recently our performances have been appalling. Inexcusable really.

I want a manager that has a clear vision and game plan. Mikel had that when he came in but it's seemingly disintegrated and it appears he's just chopping and changing things every game in desperation.

We can turn it around but we need a huge overhaul in the summer. Huge job.
alexafc12
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Santi » Thu May 13, 2021 7:02 pm

I agree the recent performances, particularly 2nd leg against Villarreal have been unacceptable. Previously you could blame individual errors and VAR bias, but in that game there was no urgency or effort what so ever to make a f***ing final.
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby Dejan » Fri May 14, 2021 7:41 am

Santi wrote:
Arsenal 1 - 2 Wolves
Arsenal 0-1 Burnley
Arsenal 1-1 Southampton
Arsenal 0-0 Palace

These mistakes ALWAYS happen in a season. at EVERY team.
Thats part of the game my man
Rest in Peace SE13 :(
Dejan
SE13
SE13

Postby theHotHead » Fri May 14, 2021 1:53 pm

Dejan wrote:
Santi wrote:
Arsenal 1 - 2 Wolves
Arsenal 0-1 Burnley
Arsenal 1-1 Southampton
Arsenal 0-0 Palace

More to the point, why are the players making so many mistakes this season ?!!! Whats the key thing that stands out ? Us over-playing in bad areas, bad decision making. Got to be the tactics. Its all well and good Arteta saying he doesn't tell the players to play so dangerously, the fact they continually do it suggests - they are not listening to him and/or - he is not making it clear that they should not do it, so he is complicit.

If he told the players to hoof the ball out when it comes into the box they would do just that. Xhaka would still be shit though.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby VCC » Fri May 14, 2021 8:30 pm

So what do folks here see as being good enough for Arteta to stay in the summer.

Tierney will hopefully be made captain best choice imo

Luiz is going, good job

Bellerin wants out , fine by me
Willian needs gone.

Xhaka needs gone or at best played as 2nd choice.

Leno is going fine by me I think he has alot to learn.

Laca will probably go which will put pressure on auba who probably wants out,and we know how disruptive he can be in that situation

Martinelli needs more starts I would play him up front.

ESR and Saka will have more pressure to perform and could see the 2nd season blues from them I hope not.

We will have loan players to sort

Ceballos is not good enough

Guindouzie will be sold

Saliba needs to come back and get a chance

Odegaard needs another season

Willock will probably be sold

Torreira sold

Mavropanos ?

Eddie should be sold he ain't got it

Balogun should get a chance.

There are still an amount of what I call replacement or 2nd tier players

Ryan who obviously is a great 2nd choice but not first choice we can do better.

Nelson
Soares
Chambers
Holding
Mari
Elneny all of which are not really up to it other than the odd cameo.

Your thoughts?
VCC
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby jayramfootball » Sat May 15, 2021 12:14 am

theHotHead wrote:
Dejan wrote:
Santi wrote:
Arsenal 1 - 2 Wolves
Arsenal 0-1 Burnley
Arsenal 1-1 Southampton
Arsenal 0-0 Palace

More to the point, why are the players making so many mistakes this season ?!!! Whats the key thing that stands out ? Us over-playing in bad areas, bad decision making. Got to be the tactics. Its all well and good Arteta saying he doesn't tell the players to play so dangerously, the fact they continually do it suggests - they are not listening to him and/or - he is not making it clear that they should not do it, so he is complicit.

If he told the players to hoof the ball out when it comes into the box they would do just that. Xhaka would still be shit though.

The players that make these mistakes most regularly are the same ones who made the same mistakes under Emery and some of them under Wenger too.
They just don't have the calmness or ability to make the right decisions at the right time.
No one is going to convince me that Wenger, Emery or Arteta ever sent their players out with instructions to play dangerous passes in risky situations, or hold the ball too long 20 yards in front of goal, or regularly make the wrong decisions with the ball.
The most important thing a player can do is make the right decisions at the right time. Tactics play little part that. They are just a framework - they have nothing to do with making basic mistakes.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby EliteKiller » Sat May 15, 2021 4:57 am

Looking at what's being said around the EPL

City - 200m transfer budget for Pep
Chelsea - 150m transfer budget for Thomas
Utd - 80m + what they sell
Liverpool - sell to buy - have 150m of unused players Shaqiri - Origi - Keita - Ox - Karius - Arroyo - Geujic - Wilson - Ojo
Spurs - sell to buy - have 150m of unused players Aurier - Lamela - Foyth - Dele - Winks - Sanchez

Arsenal - sell to buy - how much will we get for our old men and terminally useless?
EliteKiller
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Paddy » Sat May 15, 2021 7:28 am

EliteKiller wrote:Looking at what's being said around the EPL

City - 200m transfer budget for Pep
Chelsea - 150m transfer budget for Thomas
Utd - 80m + what they sell
Liverpool - sell to buy - have 150m of unused players Shaqiri - Origi - Keita - Ox - Karius - Arroyo - Geujic - Wilson - Ojo
Spurs - sell to buy - have 150m of unused players Aurier - Lamela - Foyth - Dele - Winks - Sanchez

Arsenal - sell to buy - how much will we get for our old men and terminally useless?

but but kroenke has invested his own money into the club :rofll:
Paddy
Ian Wright
Ian Wright

Postby theHotHead » Sat May 15, 2021 8:24 am

jayramfootball wrote:
theHotHead wrote:
Dejan wrote:
Santi wrote:
Arsenal 1 - 2 Wolves
Arsenal 0-1 Burnley
Arsenal 1-1 Southampton
Arsenal 0-0 Palace

The players that make these mistakes most regularly are the same ones who made the same mistakes under Emery and some of them under Wenger too.
They just don't have the calmness or ability to make the right decisions at the right time.
No one is going to convince me that Wenger, Emery or Arteta ever sent their players out with instructions to play dangerous passes in risky situations, or hold the ball too long 20 yards in front of goal, or regularly make the wrong decisions with the ball.
The most important thing a player can do is make the right decisions at the right time. Tactics play little part that. They are just a framework - they have nothing to do with making basic mistakes.

Jay, if we took Football Manager the game attributes z not played it for decades but lets say it had Error-proneness as an attribute. Under Wenger it was perhaps 7, under Emery perhaps 10, under Arteta its 15, the highest value is 20!!
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby Angelito » Sat May 15, 2021 4:18 pm

EliteKiller wrote:Arsenal - sell to buy - how much will we get for our old men and terminally useless?

Would you trust Arteta and Edu with your money?

Kroenkes are awful owners. That can't be denied. Yet, spending hasn't been an issue since the summer of 2016. Arsenal simply have burnt money since then.

Sure, we can't dream to compete with City, United, and Chelsea on the financial front. That has to be accepted. We have, however, out-spent Liverpool and Spurs since 2016.

Look at the players Arsenal are linked with: all mid-table players with the exception of Bissouma arguably.

Since Emery came aboard, this new Arsenal have splashed in excess of £250m. I look at the regulars and guess what? Only four players who were acquired after Wenger are starters here: Leno, Gabriel, Tierney, and Thomas.

The rest like Xhaka, Holding, Bellerin, Auba, and Laca arrived before Emery/Sanllehi. Others like Saka and ESR are academy products nurtured by Ljungberg.

£250m plus invested and you have a mere figure of four starting for Arsenal? That's shambolic management. Gabriel didn't even start in the biggest game of our season. Our €30m CB was excluded from all squads and subsequently loaned out. A prodigy like Martinelli is slightly ahead of Nelson in the pecking order.

Even if Arteta and Edu have £200m to spend, I don't trust either of them. Arteta especially hasn't shown that he has any eye for talent in his manegerial career so far. He reminds me of corporate professionals who smugly overlook genuine talents because they have zero imagination, or vision, only for the people they rejected to succeed elsewhere, whilst "their people," turn out to be bumbling fools.

You can help two types of people: one who legit wants to learn/improve and others who are introspective and contemplative. Arteta comes off as neither.

As for the Kroenkes, another abysmal season won't hurt them. They will simply sell Arsenal when they realize the situation has become untenable. They've already doubled their investment here. By some miracle of nature, if Arsenal do have a good season, they'd be the ones laughing all the way to the bank.

If I were Josh, I'd only authorize a marquee signing in midfield and tell Arteta/Edu to prove themselves. There's no point giving these inexperienced people money to burn. We have a good youth line-up mixed with experienced players. A competent manager would easily manage to get the dice rolling with this existing lot.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby DiamondGooner » Sun May 16, 2021 2:26 pm

So lots of reporting that Leno, Xhaka, Willian, Luiz and Bellerin all want to go.

Also Laca will want out because we won't offer him a Golden parachute contract.

The fact that Willian is willing to walk away from guaranteed retirement money just shows how low down we are, that is the ultimate slap in the face.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Arsenal Tone » Sun May 16, 2021 2:51 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:So lots of reporting that Leno, Xhaka, Willian, Luiz and Bellerin all want to go.

Also Laca will want out because we won't offer him a Golden parachute contract.

The fact that Willian is willing to walk away from guaranteed retirement money just shows how low down we are, that is the ultimate slap in the face.
Thing is though, they are all (with the exception of Luiz) on our list of players we want offloaded. Could be good news if we get money from them to spend on new players.
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk