No Europe next season

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: No Europe next season

Postby firfi » Wed May 19, 2021 4:18 am

theHotHead wrote:
firfi wrote:
Paddy wrote:
Özim wrote:Got to agree we can’t cut it in the EL, we made hard work of it even before the semis in quite a few matches and our group was rubbish.

Emery came closest, but Arteta has flopped big time. Only right that a second rate manager can only elevate (or should I say lower) this team to the 3rd tier of European football.

With Arteta being in charge next season by the looks of it maybe we should be aiming for 3rd tier football, that would be an improvement on this season.

Amazing to see Leicester right up there every year despite selling their best players, meanwhile we languish in midtable because apparently our squad isn’t good enough.

Meanwhile in other news, Fofana, Salibas defensive partner in France who was seen as not as good has been brilliant this season whilst Saliba was sent packing to France because he wasn’t good enough.

if we swapped managers with leicester theyd probs be where we are and we could easily be where they are.

do you know why? because brendan rodgers gets the best out of his squad and players.

imagine what he could do with some of our kids like saka and ESR.

I don't rate bredan much ,but hes far better than arteta no question about it.
It's not only saka and ESR.We have alot of decent youngsters that we have not given a chance to.Like, Martinelli, Saliba , Balugun etc.
I also have this feeling that Leicester won't make the top 4 this season.

I corrected that list of good young prospects for you

I like how u don't rate Willock or Nelson , but now we're seeing that Willock is okay player on loan with Newcastle when hes given a run of games not just odd minutes here and there , and it's not only required for those 2 to be world beaters . We can just make money off them 20m each of they play 1 season on good level. We lack assets so hard that wasting ones is crime worthy of firing the manger over.
firfi
Charlie George
Charlie George

Postby theHotHead » Wed May 19, 2021 6:49 am

My problem is what I see from many Arsenal fans as the new "ok". Nelson and Willock are nowhere near the quality that Arsenal young players should be. ESR and Martinelli are the standard that Arsenal young players should be at. It has been a steady erosion of squad quality, all Willock and Nelson do is add to it.

Look at when Wilshere burst forth, he was exciting and full of talent, fair enough, he went downhill fast but nobody can deny Wilshere had the talent to be a top footballer. Willock is technically poor, he just has a knack of popping up with goals. Nelson looks flashy but does f**k all.
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby Phil71 » Wed May 19, 2021 9:04 am

Not sure how anyone can say we can't cut it in the Europa League.

In the four seasons we've been in it we've got the to the final once and the semi finals twice.

Does cut it mean winning it every year?
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby Goonerred » Wed May 19, 2021 9:07 am

Phil71 wrote:Not sure how anyone can say we can't cut it in the Europa League.

In the four seasons we've been in it we've got the to the final once and the semi finals twice.

But we can't even get into it this year.
Goonerred
Predictions League 2021-22 Winner, Member of the Year 2022
Predictions League 2021-22 Winner, Member of the Year 2022

Postby Phil71 » Wed May 19, 2021 9:12 am

Goonerred wrote:

But we can't even get into it this year.

Yes, but the point is people are saying we can't cut it when we are in it. And that's simply not the case.
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Wed May 19, 2021 1:48 pm

If we're getting eliminated by non-CL teams, we're not cutting it. I didn't expect us to beat Atletico or Chelsea, but Olympiakos and Villarreal are several levels below those teams.
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Phil71 » Wed May 19, 2021 2:39 pm

aniym wrote:

If we're getting eliminated by non-CL teams, we're not cutting it. I didn't expect us to beat Atletico or Chelsea, but Olympiakos and Villarreal are several levels below those teams.

I see your point, but it can't be disputed that any team regularly getting to semi finals or finals in any competition is doing well.
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby thebigbangtheo » Wed May 19, 2021 3:31 pm

jayramfootball wrote:
Phil71 wrote:A season with no European football will do us good.

Regroup and focus on the domestic competitions.

I too am from the same school of thought on this issue and would go so far as to say that the pay off for our homage to Brexit could be the League and F.A cups and a top 3 finish.

Of course, this is only on the proviso that we turn the promise of acquiring the likes of Emerson, Bissouma, Berge, Edouard and Buendia to our squad into a reality not just speculation.

Mind you, and in remaining true to the madness of this season, wouldn't it be so Arsenal as to have an unbeaten run now that puts us into this conference league thingymajig that nobody really wants to participate in.

The only saving grace to that scenario would be in utilising it for u23 and u18 players to play first team football with the likes of Saka, Martinelli, Smith-Rowe and Saliba in the dressing room and on the bench with no other senior players involved in it if over 23 years old.
thebigbangtheo
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Wed May 19, 2021 3:44 pm

Phil71 wrote:
aniym wrote:

I see your point, but it can't be disputed that any team regularly getting to semi finals or finals in any competition is doing well.

I disagree. Winning the EL gets you something. Getting 4th place gets you something.

Going far in the EL and ending up with f**k all is not good enough.
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Rockape » Wed May 19, 2021 3:55 pm

Maybe one day, just qualifying for the EL will be an achievement and making the Semi will be seen as success! :(
Rockape
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby theHotHead » Wed May 19, 2021 3:56 pm

But Phil is right, not cutting it means not competing, getting to finals and semi finals means we are cutting it
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby Phil71 » Wed May 19, 2021 4:43 pm

theHotHead wrote:But Phil is right, not cutting it means not competing, getting to finals and semi finals means we are cutting it

Thank you
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby Phil71 » Wed May 19, 2021 5:22 pm

aniym wrote:
Phil71 wrote:
aniym wrote:

I disagree. Winning the EL gets you something. Getting 4th place gets you something.

Going far in the EL and ending up with f**k all is not good enough.

I didn't say it was. Of course you want to win it. My point is we are competing. Some have said we're not cutting it, when clearly we are.
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby Paddy » Mon May 24, 2021 9:42 am

the teams in the conference league:

dear lord. thank god we missed that abomination :rofll:
Paddy
Ian Wright
Ian Wright

Postby Phil71 » Mon May 24, 2021 10:07 am