No Europe next season

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: No Europe next season

Postby Salibatelli » Mon May 17, 2021 3:51 pm

Got to agree we can’t cut it in the EL, we made hard work of it even before the semis in quite a few matches and our group was rubbish.

Emery came closest, but Arteta has flopped big time. Only right that a second rate manager can only elevate (or should I say lower) this team to the 3rd tier of European football.

With Arteta being in charge next season by the looks of it maybe we should be aiming for 3rd tier football, that would be an improvement on this season.

Amazing to see Leicester right up there every year despite selling their best players, meanwhile we languish in midtable because apparently our squad isn’t good enough.

Meanwhile in other news, Fofana, Salibas defensive partner in France who was seen as not as good has been brilliant this season whilst Saliba was sent packing to France because he wasn’t good enough.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby firfi » Mon May 17, 2021 3:56 pm

Europa league or Conference league are nothing ,but a joke for EPL team like Arsenal. If we win then good for us ,but if we lose it's embarrassment mainly cause this is our only way to CL. We don't deserve to be there don't get me wrong.
With Arteta that's our level now 9th and being out of European tournaments and the board seems to agree with him.

Özim wrote:Got to agree we can’t cut it in the EL, we made hard work of it even before the semis in quite a few matches and our group was rubbish.

Emery came closest, but Arteta has flopped big time. Only right that a second rate manager can only elevate (or should I say lower) this team to the 3rd tier of European football.

With Arteta being in charge next season by the looks of it maybe we should be aiming for 3rd tier football, that would be an improvement on this season.

Amazing to see Leicester right up there every year despite selling their best players, meanwhile we languish in midtable because apparently our squad isn’t good enough.

Meanwhile in other news, Fofana, Salibas defensive partner in France who was seen as not as good has been brilliant this season whilst Saliba was sent packing to France because he wasn’t good enough.

That's whats happening with a manager that gives old players a chance and gives zero to the young ones or plays them here and there few minutes.Saliba wasn't given a single match on the bench even and nobody can tell me he wasn't good enough for Capital one cup or for Europa league group stage game.
firfi
Charlie George
Charlie George

Postby Paddy » Mon May 17, 2021 4:09 pm

Özim wrote:Got to agree we can’t cut it in the EL, we made hard work of it even before the semis in quite a few matches and our group was rubbish.

if we swapped managers with leicester theyd probs be where we are and we could easily be where they are.

do you know why? because brendan rodgers gets the best out of his squad and players.

imagine what he could do with some of our kids like saka and ESR.
Paddy
Ian Wright
Ian Wright

Postby firfi » Mon May 17, 2021 4:14 pm

Paddy wrote:

if we swapped managers with leicester theyd probs be where we are and we could easily be where they are.

do you know why? because brendan rodgers gets the best out of his squad and players.

I don't rate bredan much ,but hes far better than arteta no question about it.
It's not only saka and ESR.We have alot of decent youngsters that we have not given a chance to.Like Reiss Nelson , Wilock , Martinelli, Saliba , Balugun etc.
I also have this feeling that Leicester won't make the top 4 this season.
firfi
Charlie George
Charlie George

Postby Paddy » Mon May 17, 2021 4:28 pm

firfi wrote:
Paddy wrote:

It's not only saka and ESR.We have alot of decent youngsters that we have not given a chance to.Like Reiss Nelson , Wilock , Martinelli, Saliba , Balugun etc.

i didnt use to rate him but getting leicester over the line this season and winning a trophy with them is a remarkable achievement.

carragher also done some analysis on MNF showing how brendan has evolved since his liverpool days and doesnt go all out attack anymore and i like that.
Paddy
Ian Wright
Ian Wright

Postby firfi » Mon May 17, 2021 4:33 pm

Paddy wrote:
firfi wrote:
Paddy wrote:

i didnt use to rate him but getting leicester over the line this season and winning a trophy with them is a remarkable achievement.

carragher also done some analysis on MNF showing how brendan has evolved since his liverpool days and doesnt go all out attack anymore and i like that.

I'm not saying he hasn't improved or anything like that. I just think that squad is good for top5-6.Winning the Fa cup was amazing achievement , but lets remember that even Arteta won that cup ...
Anyway i wouldn't mind him taking over since i rate him higher than Arteta or Emery any day of the week , but that's not happening any time soon.
firfi
Charlie George
Charlie George

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Mon May 17, 2021 8:26 pm

Brendan ain't coming.

It's Arteta for the foreseeable future, so we need to be in at least one competition we can realistically win.
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby starmandb » Mon May 17, 2021 8:56 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:Have to admit, I have no interest at all in this Conference thing.

I mean .......... lower than the Europa??

The Europa has Dundalk, Molde in it and teams from Sweden, Azerbeijan ffs.

What the hell is this conference cup going to have, teams from Division 2?

If people thought us being in the Europa was bad (which I didn't, CL is obviously above our station) then this Conference will be an utter embarrassment.

Roma, Villarreal
starmandb
Member of the Year 2018, 2020

Postby DiamondGooner » Mon May 17, 2021 9:01 pm

starmandb wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:Have to admit, I have no interest at all in this Conference thing.

I mean .......... lower than the Europa??

The Europa has Dundalk, Molde in it and teams from Sweden, Azerbeijan ffs.

What the hell is this conference cup going to have, teams from Division 2?

If people thought us being in the Europa was bad (which I didn't, CL is obviously above our station) then this Conference will be an utter embarrassment.

Roma, Villarreal

Don't care, its the European version of the Emirates Cup.

It means fk all.

Your literally expecting us to welcome a lower calibre of competition than the Europa ffs.

Mind you, that's the same Europa league your partner in crime JayRam has been slagging as "unworthy" all season ............ even though we've not come close to winning it.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby starmandb » Mon May 17, 2021 9:01 pm

Phil71 wrote:
starmandb wrote:
Phil71 wrote:That Europa Conference thing sounds terrible. The EFL Cup of European football.

We really can do without playing in that.

Come on Phil
You remember those league cup semi finals with Spurs in 87
Some of my best days / nights in a football
I don’t want to see West Ham playing Roma in the final
I want us there

Yes great memories of the League Cup, but it's not what it was any more. Doesn't give me the same thrill.

This Conference League is for clubs that are not good enough to make the Europa League!

I've said before that playing in the 2nd level of European football is a distraction and impacts our league position. Playing in the 3rd level is definitely not changing my mind. I think we can just do without it.

I don’t buy playing football for a football club as a distraction
It’s what you are a football team for
You have bigger squads now than you have ever had
Play your squad
The league cup has always been the poor relation but get it further down the line and it can take on great significance
When we ended an 8 year trophy drought in 87 it was the beginning of the journey George took the team on.
I want all out squad wanting to win everything
I do
starmandb

Postby theHotHead » Tue May 18, 2021 9:47 am

firfi wrote:
Paddy wrote:

It's not only saka and ESR.We have alot of decent youngsters that we have not given a chance to.Like, Martinelli, Saliba , Balugun etc.

I corrected that list of good young prospects for you
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby theHotHead » Tue May 18, 2021 9:49 am

Conference League ? Not on your Van Nelli mate ! I have no interest in that abomination of a competition.
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby Ach » Tue May 18, 2021 10:13 am

Why?

We aren't good enough for CL or Europa.

Maybe this is our level.
Ach
SE13
SE13

Postby theHotHead » Tue May 18, 2021 1:00 pm

You know my thoughts are on what our level is. We are serial under achievers, I think the players are capable of much better and much more. So no, I don't agree thats our level and it never will be. We have been able to beat the likes of Spurs, Chelsea, Liverpool and Man U over the past 2 seasons with some regularity, you can't tell me that the EL is our level, let alone this tin pot European competition !!
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby Phil71 » Tue May 18, 2021 2:25 pm

Pointless playing in this competition.

Might as well play in the FA Vase.
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk