No Europe next season

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: No Europe next season

Postby Nuggets » Sun May 09, 2021 5:27 am

Özim wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
Özim wrote:To be honest we didn’t create a lot, players don’t score every opportunity either, but the point is we weren’t good enough, over two legs Villarreal were better, even in e 2nd leg we really didn’t perform well enough and didn’t really deserve to win.

Arteta is to blame, we’ve had the same thing all season and he’s on charge, if we’d fail to win after laying siege on their goal then fine you could say it wasn’t unlucky for the manager, truth is we struggled to create decent chances, the managers tactics were wrong.

The guy is hopeless and is a big reason for our failure, he did the same last season in the league and EL, we got knocked out because he couldn’t get things right.

Players take some blame, but in the end it’s the manager that picks the teams, tactics, subs, he also implements his style of play.

It’s all been dreadful since the day he arrived, he’s a failure as a manager and no team can perform with a manager who isn’t good at what they do.

No, It hasn't.

It has for me, results have largely been poor other than the odd short spell, football is boring, yes there’s been the odd good game but it’s been the anomaly rather than the norm.

Arteta was an assistant manager, he’s not a manager you can see that as he’s done a terrible job of it, that’s why we’re in our worst position for 25 years.

He’s a problem we need to get rid of, he got the job based on some unfounded hype.

[b]I preferred Emery to this guy and Emery wasn’t right and got the sack, he also schooled him with an inferior team over two legs.

Just shows how poor Arteta is really. You can blame the players all you like but the manager choose who he wants to bring in, picks the team, motivates the players, set the tactics, organised training and makes the subs, so he has a big say in what happens on the pitch.
[/b]

When you struggle to put a run of more than two games together almost all season it points to poor management and some of his decisions (Martinelli, Saliba to name but two) show this.

The cup win last season papered over the cracks

:clap: Sums it up nicely for me as well, he is a clown and has to go, WTF some people still stick up for him amazes me. :rolleyes:
Nuggets
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner

Postby swipe right » Sun May 09, 2021 9:36 am

Any one else find it ironic that Coquelin contributed to us getting out of CL and then came back to contribute us getting out of EL. Should’ve left him at Charlton.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Alexis » Sun May 09, 2021 10:48 am

swipe right wrote:Any one else find it ironic that Coquelin contributed to us getting out of CL and then came back to contribute us getting out of EL. Should’ve left him at Charlton.

He is a good but limited player. It's our shittiness that contributed to us being out of Europe. It's not like coquelin was putting out a world class performance.
Alexis
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Arsenal Tone » Wed May 12, 2021 5:19 am

We are spinning it as Arteta wringing the changes but I wonder if a few players want out because of no European football. Especially with the world cup coming up. Bellerin and Leno are the first two who spring to mind. The good thing is that none of our senior players have peforrmed anyway.
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby Santi » Wed May 12, 2021 12:19 pm

I hope all the senior players want out, they are shit bar Laca.
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby Wenger's Coat » Thu May 13, 2021 1:37 pm

starmandb wrote:
Santi wrote:
starmandb wrote:I’m not dismissing that this has been true
I just think it’s a mentality thing
Give them an excuse and they will take it
The best should have to be saved from themselves they should want to play and win football matches so much

Well this is exactly our problem with the current squad, they do not have the right mentality and take the easy way out over and over.

Not just the current squad
Wenger engendered an excuse culture
Poor pitches
Bad refereeing
Tiredness etc
The message should have been go out and win anywhere under any circumstance

This by starman.

The club has been developing a soft underbelly for a while now.
Wenger's Coat
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby Goonerred » Thu May 13, 2021 1:46 pm

Wenger's Coat wrote:
starmandb wrote:
Santi wrote:
starmandb wrote:I’m not dismissing that this has been true
I just think it’s a mentality thing
Give them an excuse and they will take it
The best should have to be saved from themselves they should want to play and win football matches so much

Well this is exactly our problem with the current squad, they do not have the right mentality and take the easy way out over and over.

Not just the current squad
Wenger engendered an excuse culture
Poor pitches
Bad refereeing
Tiredness etc
The message should have been go out and win anywhere under any circumstance

This by starman.

The club has been developing a soft underbelly for a while now.

The tired excuse used to get to me. Young, fit men couldn't play a couple of games a week? We were successful and in lots of competions, the very thing professional athletes should be aiming for. I think Wenger made them tired before they went on the pitch.
Goonerred
Predictions League 2021-22 Winner, Member of the Year 2022
Predictions League 2021-22 Winner, Member of the Year 2022

Postby Rockape » Thu May 13, 2021 2:21 pm

would be interesting what Big Sam would do with this squad. The polar opposite type of Manager to Arteta, no farting around at the back......get to our goal scorers any way you can.

Not saying I want him as our Manager obvs.....just saying it would be an interesting experiment.
Rockape
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Wenger's Coat » Thu May 13, 2021 4:01 pm

Wondered that too. We don’t have the players to play like Pep City or vintage Pep Barca. So not sure why we keep on trying to. Doesn’t mean it has to go to the other extreme - hoofball from keeper to target man. But a more pragmatic approach which does not shy away from playing direct when needed and emphasises work rate, pressing, and (controlled) aggression might be worth trying for once. Those qualities can be coached.
Wenger's Coat
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby thebigbangtheo » Sun May 16, 2021 9:25 am

The majority of the comments puts me in mind of the cinema scene in Quentin Tarantino's 'Inglorious Bastards' movie, when they set it on fire and blew everything up.

I'm not viewing the comments as a negative but rather as a positive for two reasons.

A practice in agriculture is to be to burn and scorch newly arable land in order for the resulting ash and nutrients to fertilise it and encourage better crop growth.

And that's pretty much where I think we are right now. Arsene Wenger's 10 year old house of cards he swapped for his squires farmhouse built of stone, brick, steel and oak, has been burnt to the ground.

From the ashes, the likes of Saka, Gabriel, Tierney, ESR, Martinelli and Saliba are all now representative of the green shoots to the rich new crop sprouting forth.

Secondly, my enjoyment of Greek mythology draws reference to the rise of the Phoenix which has need of a funeral pyre in order to rebirth.

Given the current climate surrounding the club, maybe the analogy would be better appreciated by Liverpool fans who've just been through the process, but the principle remains exactly the same.
thebigbangtheo
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Phil71 » Sun May 16, 2021 11:21 am

A season with no European football will do us good.

Regroup and focus on the domestic competitions.
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby Ach » Sun May 16, 2021 11:37 am

Rockape wrote:would be interesting what Big Sam would do with this squad. The polar opposite type of Manager to Arteta, no farting around at the back......get to our goal scorers any way you can.

Not saying I want him as our Manager obvs.....just saying it would be an interesting experiment.

Football would be even worse but might get more end product so it's a funny one.
Ach
SE13
SE13

Postby theHotHead » Sun May 16, 2021 12:18 pm

Ach wrote:
Rockape wrote:would be interesting what Big Sam would do with this squad. The polar opposite type of Manager to Arteta, no farting around at the back......get to our goal scorers any way you can.

Football would be even worse but might get more end product so it's a funny one.

Would the football be worse though ? Looking at our tactics against Chelsea the other day which was Park The Bus XL, I don't think it would be. Fat Sam at least bought flair players and let them do their thing. Bolton ring any bells - Jay Jay Okacha, Youri Djorkaeff. Yes they were s very physical team but had the ability to play nice football at times.
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby Ach » Sun May 16, 2021 12:24 pm

Definitely wouldn't be any better. It'd be just as shit but just in a different way.

There's a reason why no clubs fans he's managed bar Bolton has taken to him.

But we know what we get with him. No bs. That might be a refreshing change to the crap Arteta spews
Ach
SE13
SE13

Postby jayramfootball » Sun May 16, 2021 12:41 pm

Phil71 wrote:A season with no European football will do us good.

Regroup and focus on the domestic competitions.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk