Benjamin White (4)

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: Benjamin White (4)

Postby jayramfootball » Sat Oct 16, 2021 2:53 pm

Highbury Hillbilly wrote:
NovaGB wrote:His quote where he said he doesn't watch football he just plays it reminded me of that Theo Walcott quote that pissed alot of us off a few years ago.

This guy has never shown the quality Theo has. At 23, Theo was filling the RVP gap for us with 38 G+A in the 2012/13 season. Ben White was getting relegated.

Gareth Bale also doesnt watch football, but he doesn't lack in ambition either, and was one of the best in the world when he was fit.

I would say White's ambition looks pretty sound and he's currently playing his part well in great defence.
I suspect our back 5 now will be that way for many years to come.
Let's hope so.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby ag6789 » Sat Oct 16, 2021 3:36 pm

If he had no ambition he would have stayed at BHA. This nonsense about not watching football has nothing to do how he performs at work.
Many of us have different hobbies away from work to keep us sane.
If I'm an engineer I might enjoy a mystery novel away from work and not burden my mind further w/details of power supplies.
ag6789
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby themessiah » Sat Oct 16, 2021 4:10 pm

What a absolute nothing story. It is a job tbf and some people don't like to take their work home. It might seem strange but not really, People like Ben White are more balanced than most. Many football players retire and fall into depression. They are lost without it.
Image Image
themessiah
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby NovaGB » Sat Oct 16, 2021 4:14 pm

We'll see, its like a boxer who doesn't study tapes, thats the way i see it, you need to know your shit in high level sports.
NovaGB
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Salibatelli » Sat Oct 16, 2021 5:14 pm

ag6789 wrote:If he had no ambition he would have stayed at BHA. This nonsense about not watching football has nothing to do how he performs at work.
Many of us have different hobbies away from work to keep us sane.
If I'm an engineer I might enjoy a mystery novel away from work and not burden my mind further w/details of power supplies.

Or he moved for the money, that’s fair enough of course he’s entitled to. I don’t think being ambitions is moving to midtable Arsenal with a nobody as manager.

Ambition would be moving to a club going places and in the mix to win the major trophies.

Your analogy doesn’t work with sport, sport is something someone plays because they enjoy it first and foremost, although these days with the money in the game some just want to be footballers for the money.

People don’t become dentists because they enjoy being a dentist, they’ve never been one until they’ve qualified so can’t possibly judge, sport is different as you play sport as a kid in and out of school.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby LMAO » Sat Oct 16, 2021 5:31 pm

Wait, people are annoyed about a guy choosing to not watch football in his free time?

ffs touch grass
LMAO
Member of the Year 2019
Member of the Year 2019

Postby jayramfootball » Sat Oct 16, 2021 5:55 pm

NovaGB wrote:We'll see, its like a boxer who doesn't study tapes, thats the way i see it, you need to know your shit in high level sports.

Nonsense.
The team together will study video of opponents.
He doesn't need to on his own.
BS clickbait story intended for the audience it captured to propogate it.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Salibatelli » Sat Oct 16, 2021 6:08 pm

jayramfootball wrote:
NovaGB wrote:We'll see, its like a boxer who doesn't study tapes, thats the way i see it, you need to know your shit in high level sports.

Nonsense.

That’s what you say about every single story.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby jayramfootball » Sat Oct 16, 2021 6:11 pm

Özim wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:

Nonsense.

That’s what you say about every single story.

That's the media's job in football these days.
To clickbait suckers.
This story is really funny however.
The need to find negative shite must be so strong for this one to have worked.
It's embarrassing for some now but wait a few days/weeks and look back on it. :lol:

I mean seriously, WTF??? BW doesn't watch telly... Wow. :dontknow:
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Salibatelli » Sat Oct 16, 2021 6:20 pm

It’s more the lack of interest in football, that’s pretty unusual for a footballer I’d say.

I thought the name thing was unusual too, you’d just say I prefer to be called Benjamin.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby jayramfootball » Sat Oct 16, 2021 6:22 pm

Özim wrote:It’s more the lack of interest in football, that’s pretty unusual for a footballer I’d say.

I thought the name thing was unusual too, you’d just say I prefer to be called Benjamin.

He didn't say he had a lack of interest in football.
In fact he said he gives 100 percent to his football when he is training or playing.
That is all you can ask.
You can continue to spin , mischaracterise, justify, propogate all you like.
It's a shit story aimed at undermining an Arsenal player. Jumped on by those eager to hear such crap.

That's all he did say about his name. He was bloody asked what he prefers to be called.
The interviewer made a fool of himself with the dumbest follow up question of all time.
"Why do you want to be called Benjamin?"
I mean what the f**k?

"'cause it's my name" seems a pretty measured response. If it was me I would have said "what a stupid question, you arse".

I mean seriously.
"What is your name, Ben or Benjamin?"
"Benjamin"
"Why?"

:lol:
Last edited by jayramfootball on Sat Oct 16, 2021 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Ach » Sat Oct 16, 2021 6:28 pm

LMAO wrote:Wait, people are annoyed about a guy choosing to not watch football in his free time?

ffs touch grass

You think not studying opposition players isn't a big deal?
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby theHotHead » Sat Oct 16, 2021 6:44 pm

jayramfootball wrote:
theHotHead wrote:It is definitely weird. As kids you fantasise about playing for your favourite team, without that fantasy which pushes desire to play and become good how do you get into football in the first place. In fact, lets widen it to all sports in general. Kids play sports to emulate their heroes or because they are pushed by their parents. To this day I have NEVER seen an interview with a young sports person who didn't have an idol.

Assuming you are not forced to play a sport, why would you play a sport if you didn't have an interest in it ? If you have an interest in it, how did you get that interest ? You turn 16 and have that youthful excitement, going to a pro club with your teammates, eager to try new tricks, the hunger, desire and excitement are still there. You sign pro forms and can't wait for the day that you get to play for the first team. Up until this point I cannot imagine that a player doesn't watch football away from the football pitch. Now consider how young Ben White is, I find it incredible, unbelievable even, that BW has no interest in football outside of football .... at his age.

Lol, with the state of some of our fans, I am not surprised White has no interest in watching football on TV and wants to shut it off after training and games.
The fact that you can't imagine something is neither here nor there.
BW actually made it to one of the biggest teams in the world in the best league in the world and is starting every week.

So much fan opinion is based on themselves and what they think they would do or be like as a pro footballer or manager.
None of them ever made it. That is why they are opinionated fans.

Whatever works for the individual as long as they are doing the business for Arsenal is all that matters.

I think he is lying personally, I just don't see how you have no interest in football as a professional in one of the top leagues in the world - at his age .....
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby theHotHead » Sat Oct 16, 2021 6:47 pm

jayramfootball wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:You would have to find the part where I have claimed any of that on Ben White. I've said I hope he doesn't follow down the path of the two of the players you mentioned who have made those sort of decisions. I just find it odd and it sparks questions for me.

Come on, Jay. You can do better than that!

If White becomes as good as Bale or Tevez in his respective position, I'll be happy. That would be great.

Yes, on a technical level but I've already expressed a similar poing so you don’t need to reiterate that back to me. Also, I'd be happy if he reaches that level here at Arsenal and not elsewhere.

Great - so we know other players who didn't watch football on TV either and reached a level we'd all be happy with for BW.
Perhaps we should stop worrying.

We? You don't need to interject into every conversation if you're not concerned. How about sit this one out and let others discuss?

There is no interjection on a forum.
You wanna go private chat - do so.

How about Bertie Mee and Arsenal in the 69-70 NLD???
How in the world did Mee manage to get his players up for this game without them watching football on TV.
They wouldn't even have watched on TV when they were kids - maybe as 9-10 yr olds if they were allowed to stay up and watch MOTD.

Mee must have had some magical powers to be doing without Sky Sports to get these guys motivated. They were not even earning much dough.
That must be why we lost that game - the Spurs players must have been watching Sky Sports.

Or maybe this game in the early 70's

Remarkable how the players were so into it.
We won this one - god knows how without the players being able to watch TV when they got home.
Hang on, maybe the big difference was that the Arsenal players watched TBM the previous week and the Spurs lads missed it.

Jay, before TV they had radio and newspaper, I don't doubt for a second pro footballers kept abreast of things using those mediums.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby jayramfootball » Sat Oct 16, 2021 6:48 pm

theHotHead wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:You would have to find the part where I have claimed any of that on Ben White. I've said I hope he doesn't follow down the path of the two of the players you mentioned who have made those sort of decisions. I just find it odd and it sparks questions for me.

Come on, Jay. You can do better than that!

If White becomes as good as Bale or Tevez in his respective position, I'll be happy. That would be great.

Yes, on a technical level but I've already expressed a similar poing so you don’t need to reiterate that back to me. Also, I'd be happy if he reaches that level here at Arsenal and not elsewhere.

Great - so we know other players who didn't watch football on TV either and reached a level we'd all be happy with for BW.
Perhaps we should stop worrying.

We? You don't need to interject into every conversation if you're not concerned. How about sit this one out and let others discuss?

There is no interjection on a forum.
You wanna go private chat - do so.

How about Bertie Mee and Arsenal in the 69-70 NLD???
How in the world did Mee manage to get his players up for this game without them watching football on TV.
They wouldn't even have watched on TV when they were kids - maybe as 9-10 yr olds if they were allowed to stay up and watch MOTD.

Mee must have had some magical powers to be doing without Sky Sports to get these guys motivated. They were not even earning much dough.
That must be why we lost that game - the Spurs players must have been watching Sky Sports.

Or maybe this game in the early 70's

Remarkable how the players were so into it.
We won this one - god knows how without the players being able to watch TV when they got home.
Hang on, maybe the big difference was that the Arsenal players watched TBM the previous week and the Spurs lads missed it.

Jay, before TV they had radio and newspaper, I don't doubt for a second pro footballers kept abreast of things using those mediums.

Teletext even.
I am sure that was the determining factor in being up for the NLD. :dizzy:
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk