Benjamin White (4)

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: Benjamin White (4)

Postby jayramfootball » Sat Oct 16, 2021 6:49 pm

theHotHead wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
theHotHead wrote:It is definitely weird. As kids you fantasise about playing for your favourite team, without that fantasy which pushes desire to play and become good how do you get into football in the first place. In fact, lets widen it to all sports in general. Kids play sports to emulate their heroes or because they are pushed by their parents. To this day I have NEVER seen an interview with a young sports person who didn't have an idol.

Assuming you are not forced to play a sport, why would you play a sport if you didn't have an interest in it ? If you have an interest in it, how did you get that interest ? You turn 16 and have that youthful excitement, going to a pro club with your teammates, eager to try new tricks, the hunger, desire and excitement are still there. You sign pro forms and can't wait for the day that you get to play for the first team. Up until this point I cannot imagine that a player doesn't watch football away from the football pitch. Now consider how young Ben White is, I find it incredible, unbelievable even, that BW has no interest in football outside of football .... at his age.

Lol, with the state of some of our fans, I am not surprised White has no interest in watching football on TV and wants to shut it off after training and games.
The fact that you can't imagine something is neither here nor there.
BW actually made it to one of the biggest teams in the world in the best league in the world and is starting every week.

So much fan opinion is based on themselves and what they think they would do or be like as a pro footballer or manager.
None of them ever made it. That is why they are opinionated fans.

Whatever works for the individual as long as they are doing the business for Arsenal is all that matters.

I think he is lying personally, I just don't see how you have no interest in football as a professional in one of the top leagues in the world - at his age .....

Lol. When did he say he had no interest in football????
Is there another interview,?
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby theHotHead » Sat Oct 16, 2021 6:51 pm

themessiah wrote:What a absolute nothing story. It is a job tbf and some people don't like to take their work home. It might seem strange but not really, People like Ben White are more balanced than most. Many football players retire and fall into depression. They are lost without it.

Thats where you are wrong. Getting paid to "play" is nothing of the sort, at Ben White's age. I would get it if he was in the middle or the twilight of his career, but he is just setting off.

Getting paid to play football, a job ?!! Most people on this forum would play football for £50 a match and be happy as f**k, let alone what these boys earn.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby theHotHead » Sat Oct 16, 2021 6:54 pm

jayramfootball wrote:
Teletext even.
I am sure that was the determining factor in being up for the NLD. :dizzy:

Exactly, Ceefax, Oracle ... them were the days !!!

Anyone used to go clubbing and check Teletext for the parties before setting out ?
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby jayramfootball » Sat Oct 16, 2021 6:56 pm

theHotHead wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
Teletext even.
I am sure that was the determining factor in being up for the NLD. :dizzy:

Exactly, Ceefax, Oracle ... them were the days !!!

Anyone used to go clubbing and check Teletext for the parties before setting out ?

Lol I remember it before that age.
With a bad TV reception messing up the text sometimes when it refreshed :lol:
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Salibatelli » Sat Oct 16, 2021 7:21 pm

theHotHead wrote:
themessiah wrote:What a absolute nothing story. It is a job tbf and some people don't like to take their work home. It might seem strange but not really, People like Ben White are more balanced than most. Many football players retire and fall into depression. They are lost without it.

Thats where you are wrong. Getting paid to "play" is nothing of the sort, at Ben White's age. I would get it if he was in the middle or the twilight of his career, but he is just setting off.

Getting paid to play football, a job ?!! Most people on this forum would play football for £50 a match and be happy as f**k, let alone what these boys earn.

Spot on, sport is different to most regular jobs, it’s generally an interest first, they also get paid a huge fortune.

This guy is unusual to say the least, not knowing about Vieira is ridiculous IMO, I don’t even know how he wouldn’t have been curious because surely the friends/kids he played with would have talked about the best players or even pretended to be them, that’s what kids do!
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby Power n Glory » Sat Oct 16, 2021 7:26 pm

theHotHead wrote:

I don't mind if Ben White is the exception but I hope this isn't the road we're going down with the players too. The spirit of the game is already being lost with all of these billionaire takeovers but you would hope we still have a generation of players that aren't just treating this as a job with no real passion for the game.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby jayramfootball » Sat Oct 16, 2021 7:29 pm

Power n Glory wrote:
theHotHead wrote:

I don't mind if Ben White is the exception but I hope this isn't the road we're going down with the players too. The spirit of the game is already being lost with all of these billionaire takeovers but you would hope we still have a generation of players that aren't just treating this as a job with no real passion for the game.

All our signings we made this year seem to have excellent character and are already showing it.
It is one the reasons the transfer window was so good.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby ag6789 » Sat Oct 16, 2021 7:49 pm

Football as a profession, isn't different from any other. People need distraction and outlets from their regular jobs. People watch movies, read books, watch and play other sports, go sailing, gamble,visit night
clubs, women, all and sundry.
Otherwise people will go mad.
ag6789
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby NovaGB » Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:47 pm

ag6789 wrote:Football as a profession, isn't different from any other. People need distraction and outlets from their regular jobs. People watch movies, read books, watch and play other sports, go sailing, gamble,visit night

Noone gives a shit what he does if he plays well, it showed with Theo Walcott though.
NovaGB
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby NovaGB » Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:50 pm

jayramfootball wrote:
NovaGB wrote:We'll see, its like a boxer who doesn't study tapes, thats the way i see it, you need to know your shit in high level sports.

Nonsense.
The team together will study video of opponents.
He doesn't need to on his own.
BS clickbait story intended for the audience it captured to propogate it.

'Maldini? Tony Adams? no clue mate, i just kick a ball around and get paid a shit ton in a mid table team.'
NovaGB
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Power n Glory » Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:39 pm

ag6789 wrote:Football as a profession, isn't different from any other. People need distraction and outlets from their regular jobs. People watch movies, read books, watch and play other sports, go sailing, gamble,visit night

It's different if your job is linked to something you are passionate about and enjoy outside of work. Tarantino makes movies for a living but still loves watching movies. Even with job interviews these days, it helps if you have a genuine interest outside of work in field your interviewing for. It's not essential but it's often an advantage. Either way, we'll see how things turn out with Ben White.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby theHotHead » Sun Oct 17, 2021 8:02 am

What part of "for people Ben White's age" do you not understand? He is 24, how can he not have any interest in football outside of football?!

When you have a job you strive to be the best, to earn the most money. You spend your own time trying to better yourself, how can you do that if you have no interest in the game outside of when you have your Arsenal kit on?! If you dont care about being the best in footie thats worrying. If its just a job and not a career thats also worrying - we want players that strive to be the best.

That being said, I am not going to use this as a stick to beat BW with, as long as he performs ultimately I couldn't care less if he hated football. Its too early to judge the player on his Arsenal career so I wait to see how he develops and how he performs.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby swipe right » Sun Oct 17, 2021 8:05 am

jayramfootball wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
theHotHead wrote:

All our signings we made this year seem to have excellent character and are already showing it.

Signings in terms of value they are adding.
1. Ramsdale
2. Odegard
3. Tomiyasu
4. Lokonga
5. White
6. Taveres
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby jayramfootball » Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:16 am

swipe right wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
theHotHead wrote:

Signings in terms of value they are adding.
1. Ramsdale
2. Odegard
3. Tomiyasu
4. Lokonga
5. White
6. Taveres

Point is they are all good.
BW doing a great job in the back 5.
Nothing else really matters.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby jayramfootball » Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:31 am

theHotHead wrote:

What part of "for people Ben White's age" do you not understand? He is 24, how can he not have any interest in football outside of football?!

When you have a job you strive to be the best, to earn the most money. You spend your own time trying to better yourself, how can you do that if you have no interest in the game outside of when you have your Arsenal kit on?! If you dont care about being the best in footie thats worrying. If its just a job and not a career thats also worrying - we want players that strive to be the best.

That being said, I am not going to use this as a stick to beat BW with, as long as he performs ultimately I couldn't care less if he hated football. Its too early to judge the player on his Arsenal career so I wait to see how he develops and how he performs.

Seriously fella.
What does ' not having an interest in football outside football' even bloody mean?

That is not what was said either.

He is obviously massively interested - and dedicated - to football.
He just doesn't watch it on TV, lol

I think switching off from the career and focusing on other things is healthy.

There is absolutely zero benefit - ZERO - from a player watching football on TV or doing some study on his own.
It adds nothing. No tactical awareness, no insights. Nothing.
Nothing they don't already know and have learned/seen during matches and training and coaching sessions.

It's love to know what special insights he's supposed to get outside his day to day work with the club and his teammates.
Maybe he could read goonersworld
We have the best managers , owners and players here... Better than BWs coaches apparently :lol:
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk