Benjamin White (4)

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: Benjamin White (4)

Postby Salibatelli » Sat Mar 19, 2022 7:20 pm

Phil71 wrote:
Salibatelli wrote:No he really hasnt, even Reiss rightly acknowledges he’s not worth 50 million.

He’s done a decent job, still prone to mistakes at times and not perfect by any stretch of the imagination, but he’s done a decent job for his 1st season.

No humble pie anywhere in view right now.

Yeah there is.

You're just finding it hard to swallow.

No there isn’t, people always said he wasn’t worth 50 million and questioned us signing him for that, that still stands, he’s not a worldie and for that price he’s good be.

He’s a decent sold defender who does his job, but he’s nothing like the best CBs around, not as commanding or influential.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby jayramfootball » Sat Mar 19, 2022 7:21 pm

Salibatelli wrote:
Phil71 wrote:
Salibatelli wrote:No he really hasnt, even Reiss rightly acknowledges he’s not worth 50 million.

He’s done a decent job, still prone to mistakes at times and not perfect by any stretch of the imagination, but he’s done a decent job for his 1st season.

Yeah there is.

No there isn’t, people always said he wasn’t worth 50 million and questioned us signing him for that, that still stands, he’s not a worldie and for that price he’s good be.

He’s a decent sold defender who does his job, but he’s nothing like the best CBs around, not as commanding or influential.

He easily one of the best CBs around and the very best distributor of the ball from the back in the PL.
He's having a brilliant season and it is great to see how he's dealt with the pressure and the doubters - in his stride.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Salibatelli » Sat Mar 19, 2022 7:30 pm

jayramfootball wrote:
Salibatelli wrote:
Phil71 wrote:

Yeah there is.

He easily one of the best CBs around and the very best distributor of the ball from the back in the PL.
He's having a brilliant season and it is great to see how he's dealt with the pressure and the doubters - in his stride.

He’s decent but hardly one of the best around.

Theres quite a few better than him and that’s just in the PL.

He’s a decent passer I’ll give you that, but he’s not commanding enough to be a really top CB like someone like Van Dijk.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby jayramfootball » Sat Mar 19, 2022 7:33 pm

Salibatelli wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
Salibatelli wrote:
Phil71 wrote:

Yeah there is.

He’s decent but hardly one of the best around.

Theres quite a few better than him and that’s just in the PL.

He’s a decent passer I’ll give you that, but he’s not commanding enough to be a really top CB like someone like Van Dijk.

You are comparing him to one of the most commanding CBs in the world in Van Dijk.
Van Dijk is more commanding , but White is levels above Van Dijk in terms of passing out from the back.
Horses for courses.

Right now, White is probably the most complete CB in the league. He does everything well and his distribution is elite level.
He's absolutely destroyed his doubters.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby theHotHead » Thu Mar 24, 2022 8:13 am

Ozim, I was firmly in the "he aint worth £50m" camp, I never ever said he was shit, I always said he wasn't worth the money. £25m perhaps. However, when you look at his displays and you consider that there is a premium on British player sales (usually why I am against most of them - Gabriel cost half the fee of Ben White), £80m for Maguire, £50m for Wan Bissaka etc, you can't say he isn't closer to £50m than he is to £30m!!! He has been our best CB and one of the stand out CBs in the league - better than VVD this season who I have seen get exposed and done time and time again.

There is nothing wrong with changing your opinion based on performances, no way you can tell me White has been performing like a £30m CB, no way buddy. I think he has turned out to be an excellent purchase, one of the key reasons our defence has looked rock solid and lets not forget his passing ability !!!
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby ag6789 » Sat Mar 26, 2022 7:13 pm

White's good work has been noticed and is rewarded with a call up. Vs the Swiss.
Well done Ben.
ag6789
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Arsenal Tone » Sat Mar 26, 2022 7:16 pm

Did he finish the game at right back? Only saw bits of second half and that is how it looked.
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby jayramfootball » Sat Mar 26, 2022 7:20 pm

Arsenal Tone wrote:Did he finish the game at right back? Only saw bits of second half and that is how it looked.

Yep.
Shifted to a back 4 and Benjamin played RB
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Salibatelli » Mon Mar 28, 2022 9:11 am

theHotHead wrote:

Ozim, I was firmly in the "he aint worth £50m" camp, I never ever said he was shit, I always said he wasn't worth the money. £25m perhaps. However, when you look at his displays and you consider that there is a premium on British player sales (usually why I am against most of them - Gabriel cost half the fee of Ben White), £80m for Maguire, £50m for Wan Bissaka etc, you can't say he isn't closer to £50m than he is to £30m!!! He has been our best CB and one of the stand out CBs in the league - better than VVD this season who I have seen get exposed and done time and time again.

There is nothing wrong with changing your opinion based on performances, no way you can tell me White has been performing like a £30m CB, no way buddy. I think he has turned out to be an excellent purchase, one of the key reasons our defence has looked rock solid and lets not forget his passing ability !!!

He’s been decent no question, but I’d argue 50 million should buy you a really commanding top CB, especially when you’re signing him from a club like Brighton.

He’s a decent CB, but he’ll never be one of the best around as he just doesn’t have the presence, he does his job without offering anything particularly special.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby swipe right » Mon Mar 28, 2022 9:35 am

He’s the new Vermaelan. Nothing wrong with that. Peak Verminator was alright.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby theHotHead » Mon Mar 28, 2022 9:58 am

Salibatelli wrote:
theHotHead wrote:

He’s been decent no question, but I’d argue 50 million should buy you a really commanding top CB, especially when you’re signing him from a club like Brighton.

He’s a decent CB, but he’ll never be one of the best around as he just doesn’t have the presence, he does his job without offering anything particularly special.

Where you buy him from is irrelevant, its about his ability at that time. BW doesn't need to be commanding, he needs to be good and he has been very good, good enough to warrant the £50m price tag. He rarely makes mistakes, hardly ever gets beaten and is a very good passer of the ball. You Can only compare him to his peers, VVD went for £80m, Maguire went for £80m, John Stones went for £50m. Looking at Ben White right now, he is better than John Stones was because Stones had a mistake in him. Maguire went for that money because he was commanding, would you prefer him in your back line right now ? Hell no. Not even VVD was/is commanding.

Name a better English CB in the league right now than Ben white.
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby Salibatelli » Mon Mar 28, 2022 10:36 am

I don’t think we should be comparing him to English CBs, he should be compared to all CBs, nationality is irrelevant.

You say he doesn’t make many mistakes, he disagree he regularly does make mistakes, sometimes he just doesn’t get punished for them, he made one for England at the weekend that cost England the goal for example.

Coady, Stones, Rudiger, Dias, Van Dijk, Guehi, Gabriel, Laporte, Varane, Matip, Thiago Silva and that’s just in the PL.

Maguire went for a lot but at the time he was excellent for Leicester and England, he hasn’t been so good recently however, but also Man U overpaid. Van Dijk was also proven when Liverpool signed him.
Last edited by Salibatelli on Mon Mar 28, 2022 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby 22-0 » Mon Mar 28, 2022 10:42 am

Maguire has been the worst CB ive ever seen in the EPL.
22-0
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Salibatelli » Mon Mar 28, 2022 10:51 am

22-0 wrote:Maguire has been the worst CB ive ever seen in the EPL.

Worse than Pieknik, Stepanovs, you could probably look at some of Norwich’s centre backs too.

Maguire has been very poor for Man U though.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby theHotHead » Mon Mar 28, 2022 12:29 pm

Salibatelli wrote:I don’t think we should be comparing him to English CBs, he should be compared to all CBs, nationality is irrelevant.

You say he doesn’t make many mistakes, he disagree he regularly does make mistakes, sometimes he just doesn’t get punished for them, he made one for England at the weekend that cost England the goal for example.

Coady, Stones, Rudiger, Dias, Van Dijk, Guehi, Gabriel, Laporte, Varane, Matip, Thiago Silva and that’s just in the PL.

Maguire went for a lot but at the time he was excellent for Leicester and England, he hasn’t been so good recently however, but also Man U overpaid. Van Dijk was also proven when Liverpool signed him.

You have to compare to English CBs because the price we paid is directly related to that. There is no point talking about his price in relation to non-British players because his British-ness drove his price up.

I don't care about the mistake he made in a friendly for England, that cuts no ice. You used that mistake to suggest he makes them for Arsenal when you know he doesn't.

If you compare him talent-wise to other CBs in the Prem, who is better than him this season ? The only one on your list is Dias. He as been better than both Stones and Coady, Rudiger is a defensive CB who is very good at that but has the weakest range of passing I a have seen for a long time. VVD has looked fallible this season, Gabriel has in no way been better than White, Laporte is good but BW is better defensively, Varane ... do me a lemon, Matip has been good but not better than BW and Thiago Silva you only mentioned because he "was" a great CB, no way you can tell me he has performed as well as BW.
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk