About the price...

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

About the price...

Postby rvtheace » Tue Jun 26, 2007 6:04 pm

16 million. I'm still astounded. Someone mentioned about the new FIFA rules which allow players to buy out their own contracts and that a player approaching 30 can do that pretty cheap. But I am still finding it hard to digest. Can somebody please explain how we sold the world's best striker for 16 million?
rvtheace
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Fordy » Tue Jun 26, 2007 6:06 pm

We will after watch what other players go for see how it stands.

The only thing i can think of is that his age played a big part also if he stated that he would only go to barca it rules out the price been put up by a bidding war
Fordy

Postby rvtheace » Tue Jun 26, 2007 6:08 pm

Fordy wrote:We will after watch what other players go for see how it stands.

The only thing i can think of is that his age played a big part also if he stated that he would only go to barca it rules out the price been put up by a bidding war

Yeah, but how does the price Arsenal set affect him? I don't think it would have been revealed that he would 'only go to Barca'. Arsenal could have made it open that he wanted to leave, then there would have been tonnes of clubs coming in for him.
rvtheace
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby emmagicaleboue » Tue Jun 26, 2007 6:09 pm

i personally find it hard to understand why everyone is kicking up such a fuss about the 16mil price tag. seems fair to me. hes 30 to be fair and you would never get more than 20mil for him at this age. plus he's had a few injuries last season and to describe him as the best striker in the world is pushing it a bit as well. i expected to get around 18mil for him, but 16 comes as no big shock
R.v.P for golden boot 07/08
emmagicaleboue
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby Fordy » Tue Jun 26, 2007 6:11 pm

It could be anything a clause no one knows about or a deal they struck with barca as he as to be worth more than 16 million
Fordy

Postby rvtheace » Tue Jun 26, 2007 6:37 pm

emmagicaleboue wrote:i personally find it hard to understand why everyone is kicking up such a fuss about the 16mil price tag. seems fair to me. hes 30 to be fair and you would never get more than 20mil for him at this age. plus he's had a few injuries last season and to describe him as the best striker in the world is pushing it a bit as well. i expected to get around 18mil for him, but 16 comes as no big shock

If Shevchenko could cost around 25 million, then that is definitely the price range that I'd think Henry should have been sold for.
rvtheace
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby left right left » Tue Jun 26, 2007 7:00 pm

rvtheace wrote:
emmagicaleboue wrote:i personally find it hard to understand why everyone is kicking up such a fuss about the 16mil price tag. seems fair to me. hes 30 to be fair and you would never get more than 20mil for him at this age. plus he's had a few injuries last season and to describe him as the best striker in the world is pushing it a bit as well. i expected to get around 18mil for him, but 16 comes as no big shock

If Shevchenko could cost around 25 million, then that is definitely the price range that I'd think Henry should have been sold for.

shevwanko was 30.1 mill!!! and he was already 30, 16 mill was abit freeky!!!
you mess and you get the knocked the f**k out baby!!!!!!
left right left
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby emmagicaleboue » Tue Jun 26, 2007 7:12 pm

schevchenko is a totally warped example though for obvious reasons.
emmagicaleboue
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby Amoo » Tue Jun 26, 2007 7:51 pm

I think comparing to other players its ridiculous but IMO not 1 player in the world is worth 16 million football is all about money these days and thats killed the game. :(
Amoo
Lee Dixon
Lee Dixon

Postby CLS » Wed Jun 27, 2007 9:04 am

barca have put a 84 million price on henrys head and wont sell him for less than than within the four years of his contract
http://www.myspace.com/screema69

"IVE CHANGED MY SIG BUT IN CASE LRL FORGETS I AM
PREDICTION LEAGUE WINNER 2006
GOONER IDOL WINNER 2007
CAPTION COMP WINNER 2007 "
CLS
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Piston Broke » Wed Jun 27, 2007 9:06 am

CLS wrote:barca have put a 84 million price on henrys head and wont sell him for less than than within the four years of his contract

Makes you sick don't it :cry:
Piston Broke
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby emmagicaleboue » Wed Jun 27, 2007 9:57 am

that is just a part of spanish football though. they love their buy out clauses. he would never leave them now anyway and only an italian club would want him in his old age anyway. the surgeon who did work on his achilles heel last year said his career will definetly have to be cut short
emmagicaleboue
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby gunnermikey » Wed Jun 27, 2007 10:01 am

16 mill might seem shit but we paid less to get him in the first place so it aint all bad.
havin sed that barca were clearly desperate, we coulda milked em for so much more. i'd have liked to see wenger ask about messi. to us that might have seemed a bit unlikely but then thats how desperate they were, they'd have probably done it.
gunnermikey
Michael Thomas

Postby emmagicaleboue » Wed Jun 27, 2007 10:09 am

messi would never have left barca for us though! and there's no way barca would have swapped him for henry either to be fair!
emmagicaleboue
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby gunnermikey » Wed Jun 27, 2007 10:14 am

maybe not but barca did seem a little too desperate. we could've at least stretched em to way more. would've been worth a try, just ta see how far they coulda been stretched. if they were smart they'd keep messi over henry, but judging by their almost needy persistence, theres not really any tellin how far they woulda gone to get henry.
gunnermikey
Michael Thomas

Next

Return to Arsenal Talk