The Run in and TOP 4

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: The Run in and TOP 4

Postby Power n Glory » Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:50 am

Dejan wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
I once watched an Arsenal team go on a run of 1o straight wins in which they made up 12 points on Manchester Utd and ended up winning the league.
Might have been before your time.

More recently I recall seeing Spurs go on a run of 14 games with 11 wins and 3 draws.

Im pretty sure these teams were alot better than we are now. Additionally, we have the worst manager we ever had

jayramfootball wrote:Making up 10 points in 10 games on one or more teams is most certainly doable in the PL.

By thinking like this you are completely ignoring that between that one or more teams and us there are 5 other teams that are aiming for that fourth place. And many of these teams are 6 points above us.

If it was just us and the number 4 and that same point gap, then yes maybe it was possible

Verstuurd vanaf mijn D5803 met Tapatalk

Yep, it's also mathematically possible for West Ham to finish as Premier League Champions.

Obviously, we need to keep pushing to win every game but this team isn't capable. We have a decent group of players and we've really under performed this season but even if we were in great form we'd need West Ham, Chelsea, Spurs, Liverpool, Everton and Villa's form to really nose dive. 66 points is the max we can pick up.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby jayramfootball » Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:39 am

Power n Glory wrote:
Obviously, we need to keep pushing to win every game but this team isn't capable. We have a decent group of players and we've really under performed this season but even if we were in great form we'd need West Ham, Chelsea, Spurs, Liverpool, Everton and Villa's form to really nose dive. 66 points is the max we can pick up.

Not correct, even in the slightest.
With 10 games to go we were 10 points behind.
WHU, Chelsea, Liverpool, Everton and Villa's form as it has been all season (without a nose dive) would not have been enough for them to stop a team stringing together several wins. On average this season, each of those teams has averaged 1.6 pts per game...their form all season suggests they pick up about 16 points over the last 10 games. No 'nose-dive' required.

26pts from our last 30 could well have secured 4th without any dip in form from the other teams - 8 wins and 2 draws.

Basically, ANY team from the pack of teams within 10 points of 4th with 10 games to go is in the race.

Your WHU Utd example of catching City is much much harder because City's form is so good. They are averaging 2.4 pts a game. That's why it's harder to win the league vs getting 4th. Much less room for error during the season and harder to make up ground.
Last edited by jayramfootball on Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:52 am, edited 3 times in total.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Salibatelli » Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:44 am

Arteta has barely managed to string a couple results together since he arrived, there were a few games post Christmas but that ended abruptly and we’ve been very poor again since then.

The scenario of us winning 10 games on the spin is very very unlikely given what we’ve seen.

The team that won the title was different, it had more steel to it and the likes of Adams, Seaman, Vieira real leaders and winners.

This team has none of that and has a rookie who has proved to be a pretty poor manager to boot.

There was also the fact there were about 5 teams above us and they all needed to falter as well as the 4th placed team as someone else said.

A near impossible task given all the factors at play.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby Santi » Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:53 am

Dejan wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
I once watched an Arsenal team go on a run of 1o straight wins in which they made up 12 points on Manchester Utd and ended up winning the league.

More recently I recall seeing Spurs go on a run of 14 games with 11 wins and 3 draws.

Im pretty sure these teams were alot better than we are now. Additionally, we have the worst manager we ever had

jayramfootball wrote:Making up 10 points in 10 games on one or more teams is most certainly doable in the PL.

By thinking like this you are completely ignoring that between that one or more teams and us there are 5 other teams that are aiming for that fourth place. And many of these teams are 6 points above us.

If it was just us and the number 4 and that same point gap, then yes maybe it was possible

Exactly, it was never on and is certainly even more dead after our last two results.
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby jayramfootball » Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:58 am

Dejan wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:

I was not completely ignoring the other teams.
None of them required any dip in form for us to get 4th place with 10 games left.

We needed to win 9 of 10 games and we'd most probably have got 4th.
10 of 10 almost certainly.
It was always going to be difficult, of course, and the team showed pretty conclusively against Liverpool that they weren't really interested in doing it.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby starmandb » Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:04 am

Dejan wrote:
VCC wrote:
Rockape wrote:I wonder what the odds were of Liverpool losing six on the bounce at home this season? Realistically I’d suggest 5000-1.

Well, it’s something similar for us to win all of our remaining fixtures.

I once played in a rugby team, start of the season it was possible we could win every game, the reality was we lost every game by 50+ points.
Lmao

Basically sums up this thread when it was created

I don’t remember the 16 goal defeat to West Ham?
We were 9 points behind Chelsea with a chance to go there and make it 6 when this thread was created
starmandb
Member of the Year 2018, 2020

Postby starmandb » Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:09 am

Dejan wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:

I’m sure that all those teams were taken into account
The fact we still had to play many of them and the fact that on all there trajectories if we won every game we would finish in 4th
I think Chelsea getting beat at the weekend makes this still a possibility ( if unlikely due to the nature of our form)
starmandb

Postby starmandb » Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:13 am

Özim wrote:Arteta has barely managed to string a couple results together since he arrived, there were a few games post Christmas but that ended abruptly and we’ve been very poor again since then.

The scenario of us winning 10 games on the spin is very very unlikely given what we’ve seen.

The team that won the title was different, it had more steel to it and the likes of Adams, Seaman, Vieira real leaders and winners.

This team has none of that and has a rookie who has proved to be a pretty poor manager to boot.

There was also the fact there were about 5 teams above us and they all needed to falter as well as the 4th placed team as someone else said.

A near impossible task given all the factors at play.

No
As stated above
On all of their current points trajectory
If( and I know it’s a major if) we won every game from now( and this is 2 games on from when the thread was made) we could more than likely be in the top 4
starmandb

Postby Dejan » Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:15 am

starmandb wrote:
Dejan wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:

The fact we still had to play many of them and the fact that on all there trajectories if we won every game we would finish in 4th
I think Chelsea getting beat at the weekend makes this still a possibility ( if unlikely due to the nature of our form)

Yes Starman. You are only explaining that it is mathematically possible.
We are talking about the chances of a team to win 9 or 10 in a row.. While this team barelly is able to win 2 in a row.
Its being delusional.
Rest in Peace SE13 :(
Dejan
SE13
SE13

Postby starmandb » Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:20 am

No mathematically possible is when you can get the points but other teams must remain static
Ie West Ham still catch Man City
Possibility is when it’s in your own hands which it is on the trajectory of how others seasons have played out thus far
I say it’s unlikely but not impossible because it is
starmandb

Postby jayramfootball » Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:24 am

Dejan wrote:
starmandb wrote:
Dejan wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:

Yes Starman. You are only explaining that it is mathematically possible.
We are talking about the chances of a team to win 9 or 10 in a row.. While this team barelly is able to win 2 in a row.
Its being delusional.

I believe he was emphasising another point - that we didn't need other teams to drop form.

No one said it would not be very hard for us to win 9 or 10 out of our last 10 matches.
But, we ARE capable in any game - even now - of beating any team.

Momentum in this league is important. Things can change pretty quickly. Like I said, even Spurs managed to string together a 14 game unbeaten run which included 11 wins and 3 draws. If they can put such a run together, why couldn't we have done? Why would it be 'delusional' to think it would be possible for us to do???
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Power n Glory » Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:15 am

I don't think anyone is disputing the maths. It just comes back to faith in the squad and manager. I dont think anyone has any faith in this group of players or manager to pull this off. If they somehow pull it off then we probably all need to rethink our positions on the manager and players.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby jayramfootball » Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:42 am

Power n Glory wrote:I don't think anyone is disputing the maths. It just comes back to faith in the squad and manager. I dont think anyone has any faith in this group of players or manager to pull this off. If they somehow pull it off then we probably all need to rethink our positions on the manager and players.

Not really. A team who is not good enough to regularly challenge for titles and top 4 is still capable of putting a run together.
Alas, we didn't turn up in the first half against West ham and the whole game against Liverpool.
That doesn't mean we were not capable of putting a run together and if we had, it would certainly not mean we'd have to pretend that Xhaka, for example, was good enough.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Dejan » Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:19 am

Power n Glory wrote:I don't think anyone is disputing the maths. It just comes back to faith in the squad and manager. I dont think anyone has any faith in this group of players or manager to pull this off. If they somehow pull it off then we probably all need to rethink our positions on the manager and players.

^^^
Rest in Peace SE13 :(
Dejan
SE13
SE13

Postby theHotHead » Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:28 am

Dejan wrote:Yes Starman. You are only explaining that it is mathematically possible.
Its being delusional.

After Boxing Day we went on a run of 10 games, we Won 6, Drew 2 and Lost 2, not a million miles off what we needed to do to secure top 4. So I don't agree it was beyond the realms of very real possiblity, especially when you consider we brought in a top class CM in Partey and cover for ESR in Odegaard - and the quality of our performances had improved with the intro of ESR
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk