Wenger- Crisis talks

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Wenger- Crisis talks

Postby She_Gunner_Wales » Mon Jun 25, 2007 1:37 pm

Courtesy of ThisIsLondon.

Arsenal's board will meet with Arsene Wenger this week in an attempt to get him to commit his future to the club.

There are growing concerns that the manager's refusal to sign any extension to his current contract is having a destabilising effect at Emirates Stadium.

Former Arsenal keeper and coach Bob Wilson believes the club are in a “minicrisis” following Thierry Henry's revelation he was joining Barcelona because Wenger won't commit beyond 2008, when his deal expires.

US tycoon Stanley Kroenke has already expressed his dissatisfaction at the events of the weekend and told the Arsenal board they must make it their priority to secure Wenger's future.

Kroenke, who paid £50million for a 12.19 per cent stake in the club two months ago, has now requested a meeting with leading shareholder Danny Fiszman.

The American businessman and sports mogul met chairman Peter Hill-Wood and managing director Keith Edelman in New York only 10 days ago, but now wants a better idea of the club's plans for the future.

Kroenke is being strongly linked with a takeover of Arsenal but the billionaire, whose offer to fund signings in the transfer market this summer was turned down by Hill-Wood and Edelman, is concerned over the direction the club are taking.

Wenger's mood will not have been improved by opposition from some board members to the possible return of Nicolas Anelka to replace Henry, who was undergoing a medical in Barcelona morning before finalising his £16m move.

The Bolton striker has expressed a desire to return to Arsenal but some at the club have still not forgiven the player for the nature of his acrimonious exit in 1999, when he engineered a move to Real Madrid.

Wilson insisted the situation needs to be sorted out as quickly as possible. He said: “The board need to make up their mind, with Arsene's guidance, whether they can carry on with the finances that come from the new stadium and the sale of Highbury or go the American way like Manchester United and Liverpool.

“I have no doubt that Arsene will honour his current contract, beyond that I can't say. But the club have given him everything that he's asked for — a new training ground and the players he's requested.”

Like Wilson, the club's fans are worried about the latest developments, especially as they have been without silverware for the past two seasons. A spokesman for the Arsenal Supporters' Trust, which represents many of the small shareholders who own up to 15 per cent of the club, said: “The Arsenal board must end the uncertainty.

“This means convincing Arsene Wenger that he has a long-term future with Arsenal, including the funds needed to compete in the transfer market.”

Wenger is expected to give his first comments on Henry's departure later today and supporters are waiting anxiously for his announcement.

Hopefully with a good result following the meeting, we need something to lift us now & this would be the perfect thing.
She_Gunner_Wales
Graphics Team

Postby gunnermikey » Mon Jun 25, 2007 1:47 pm

im hoping against hope that kroenke gets in, as that could mean a way back in for david dein, and if that did happen, wenger wouldn't leave.
gunnermikey
Michael Thomas

Postby pirezfan » Mon Jun 25, 2007 2:35 pm

as discussed over on msn SGW, Wenger's uncertainty and him leaving is like killing the golden goose. We all know how talented Wenger is in molding and building up players. Henry was an example of the golden egg. Vieira is another one, kolo and eboue perhaps can be considered golden eggs as well. You kill the goose, no golden eggs...simple as that..
once a gooner...ALWAYS A GOONER!!
GO GUNNERS GO!
pirezfan
Patrick Vieira

Postby She_Gunner_Wales » Mon Jun 25, 2007 2:41 pm

I know what you mean Prash but neither do i forsee a mass exodus should Arsene leave, and in the event of that happening any succesor to Wenger would be a fool to get rid of the young talent at the club.

The only player i can see leaving to follow Arsene is Cesc, id hate that too, but we have Diaby, the emerging Dennilson as well as Fran Merida. ;)

Keep the Faith! :flag:
She_Gunner_Wales
Graphics Team

Postby gunnermikey » Mon Jun 25, 2007 2:51 pm

that's why wenger would be stupid to leave. why throw away 10 years of hard work that he has spent moulding a team?

i doubt cesc would be the only one to follow. most have got oppurtunities under wenger that other managers wouldnt have given them. they might doubt their chances without him
gunnermikey
Michael Thomas

Postby She_Gunner_Wales » Mon Jun 25, 2007 2:54 pm

Mikey the same can be said for any manager who has belief in his youth ;)
She_Gunner_Wales
Graphics Team

Postby gunnermikey » Mon Jun 25, 2007 3:01 pm

i still dont think cesc will leave alone. i doubt we'll lose too much but the odd player probably. i wouldn't be surprised if adebayor did.
gunnermikey
Michael Thomas

Postby Windass10 » Mon Jun 25, 2007 5:51 pm

Next few weeks will be vital for our club.
Windass10

Postby gunnermikey » Mon Jun 25, 2007 6:59 pm

only time will tell i guess. but wenger would be stupid to leave just because dein left.
gunnermikey
Michael Thomas

Postby colemann » Mon Jun 25, 2007 8:44 pm

Arsene Wenger is the professor and the wizard....
WE need for his presence.....He has built up a young team which can be successfull in the future...It would be a big blow if Arsene left the club....
colemann
Liam Brady

Postby She_Gunner_Wales » Mon Jun 25, 2007 8:46 pm

Welcome to the forum Colemann :)

Id be more devastated if Wenger left than i am about Henry leaving id cry for a month!!!
She_Gunner_Wales
Graphics Team

Postby gunnermikey » Mon Jun 25, 2007 8:54 pm

its not the prospect of losing wenger that worries me the most. not that that aint a kick in tthe teeth, but its more what a better manager will do to the perfect youth system. very few managers have this understanding of the importance of youth. lookin at it from wenger's perspective he may not have much to lose, as cesc will follow him.
gunnermikey
Michael Thomas

Postby Windass10 » Mon Jun 25, 2007 11:29 pm

I heard Arsene wants to sign Anelka and board holding back lol, I think if this happens Arsene will just resign early if he doesnt get a choice in who he wants.
Windass10

Postby Piston Broke » Tue Jun 26, 2007 7:02 am

Windass10 wrote:Next few weeks will be vital for our club.

really are Man Utd having bad times too ?

If Wenger leaves we are heavily screwed all the players are used to playing wengerball & a new manger could destroy the club & SGW I'm sorry to say i agree i think there would be a mass Exodus at the club of the young talent
The sooner we get rid of this board the better f**k Fizman i blame him for all of this
Piston Broke
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby Piston Broke » Tue Jun 26, 2007 8:04 am

Just saw this on Tribal

Arsenal offer Wenger bumper £11M pay-rise
tribalfooball.com - June 25, 2007

Arsenal are ready to hand Arsene Wenger a bumper 50 per cent pay-rise to convince him to stay at the Emirates.

The Sun says the Frenchman has been offered £75,000 a week - nearly £11million in a three-year deal - plus £30m for summer signings.

The Gunners are even ready to include a clause allowing Wenger to leave next year if he wants.

The 57-year-old manager's current £50,000-a-week contract expires next summer and he has so far resisted all the club's efforts to extend his stay.

But now Wenger is ready to relent, as he knows the speculation is threatening to destabilise the entire club.

Lets hope he signs :flag:
Piston Broke
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Next

Return to Arsenal Talk