EL QF: Arsenal draw Villarreal in the semi

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: EL QF: Arsenal draw Villarreal in the semi

Postby swipe right » Fri May 28, 2021 2:28 am

How about Coq’s cool as ice penalty? Top bins.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby theHotHead » Fri May 28, 2021 7:32 am

jayramfootball wrote:
Crap team won a crap tournament.
I saw Wigan win the FA Cup once and Greece win the Euro's.
The EL is gold to crap teams to grab a bit of the limelight, like Sevilla and now Villareal.
Super. No way Villareal survive relegation if they played in the PL.
I heard they take good pens, though - much needed for small teams playing the bigger clubs.
Emery found his level, though, so good for him. He can be happy there.

I am with Jay on this, Villareal were nothing special at all, not against Man U and not against us. the only reason they beat us was because Arteta was an idiot in both games. I maintain, Villareal should've been a comfortable victory over 2 legs and I have seen nothing then or since to change my mind.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby Goonerred » Fri May 28, 2021 7:45 am

I didn't watch the shoot out does anyone know where I might get to see it online?
Goonerred
Predictions League 2021-22 Winner, Member of the Year 2022

Postby Goonerred » Fri May 28, 2021 7:48 am

theHotHead wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
The EL is gold to crap teams to grab a bit of the limelight, like Sevilla and now Villareal.
I heard they take good pens, though - much needed for small teams playing the bigger clubs.

I am with Jay on this, Villareal were nothing special at all, not against Man U and not against us. the only reason they beat us was because Arteta was an idiot in both games. I maintain, Villareal should've been a comfortable victory over 2 legs and I have seen nothing then or since to change my mind.

They've found their level - several rungs higher than us. We could have been in the CL now if we'd been smarter over those two legs and against a United side that might not have turned up against us. I used to call the EL the loser cup, easy to do when you're in the top 4 every year, the EL is now a stepping stone to the CL, so more riding on it.
Goonerred

Postby Salibatelli » Fri May 28, 2021 8:10 am

I think the important point is that Emery outfoxed Arteta over two legs, in the 1st leg in particular they gave us a lot of problems.

We had nothing else to play for so that was our focus, the fact Emery still won out when there was so much riding on it says a lot.

I don’t agree that it’s a rubbish tournament, winning a European trophy means a lot and you get a place in the CL for it, to me that’s better than getting too 4 as you win something and get into the CL.

I’d choose it over the FA cup everytime, as it offers a place in the EL.

There’s no question to big clubs winning the EL if you’re in that or the FA cup is now the more important prize given the CL place on offer, particularly if you haven’t qualified for the CL through the league.

I also think OGS isn’t a very good manager, he’s got a lot of talented players but for me performances are too inconsistent, but despite that he got 2nd place in the league so naturally he deserves to keep his job, Arteta on the other hand doesn’t.
Last edited by Salibatelli on Fri May 28, 2021 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby jayramfootball » Fri May 28, 2021 8:13 am

DiamondGooner wrote:
Ach wrote::rofll:

Got to love jay. He has no qualms in showing his lack of education about football and you have to respect it whilst laughing.

He's just talking now, no logic, just spouting.

I suppose that's what happens when someone was so cocksure they got backed into a corner and then "Good ebening" happened and made him like a complete tool.

Instead of just saying "I got it wrong" he just keeps on digging, problem is he's dug himself into concrete.

Well DG, given your incessant 'he's better than our manager' every time another manager has a good run and the constant doom and gloom about our club, I'd say the corner is yours. If we start well next year it's going to be fun reviewing your 'expert' analysis of why Arteta is sh*t. Or maybe you'll just say you got it wrong... for weeks and weeks after the EL exit on every thread page after page. On the other hand, if we start badly it's also a crap situation for you, of course, as it would be for all Arsenal fans. I guess I'd say just enjoy next season, but difficult to see how you can, either way.

As for Villareal, they are poor. They went on a cup run in tournament filled with dross until the semi-finals. It was an easy game for us against them and an easy game for Utd. Sometimes easy games can be lost.

The level of insanity about other managers and clubs has reached fever pitch now. We've had our own fans cheering Spurs winning in the last minute to finish above us, Tuchel proclaimed as a God of football management after just 18 PL games or so for Chelsea (in which he only won 4 more points than Arteta by the way and losing to Arteta after being tactically outdone), Ancelotti (lol) proclaimed as a potential saviour despite him ending up 10th and having a nightmare second half of the season, threads about Chelsea being a bigger club than us to name just a few - and now pining after Emery after he already failed for us just because he won the EL (again). He'd already won it 3 times before he came to us and we realised he's an idiot.

Never seen anything like the emotional meltdown over going out of the EL. :dontknow:

Meanwhile, I will maintain focus on the positives, of which there are many, and am looking forward to a good transfer window and a good start to next year.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Salibatelli » Fri May 28, 2021 8:37 am

Losing a one off game is one thing, but over two legs the better side tends to triumph.

For that reason the FA cup can really pull off some shocks whereas the two legged trophies don’t tend to.

The defeat over two legs for us is unforgivable, given we have a much better squad.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby theHotHead » Fri May 28, 2021 8:55 am

Goonerred wrote:
theHotHead wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:

They've found their level - several rungs higher than us. We could have been in the CL now if we'd been smarter over those two legs and against a United side that might not have turned up against us. I used to call the EL the loser cup, easy to do when you're in the top 4 every year, the EL is now a stepping stone to the CL, so more riding on it.

I would've bet on us to beat Man U, if we made the final, that is the one thing I can give Arteta credit for, he has absolutely improved our performances against the top 6 teams.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby jayramfootball » Fri May 28, 2021 9:33 am

Özim wrote:Losing a one off game is one thing, but over two legs the better side tends to triumph.

For that reason the FA cup can really pull off some shocks whereas the two legged trophies don’t tend to.

The defeat over two legs for us is unforgivable, given we have a much better squad.

Nonsense - the Europa League has been littered with shock results over 2 legs since it started.

Braga beating Liverpool
Bilbao beating Man Utd
Fulham beating Juventus
Rubin Kazan beating Athletico Madrid
Ludogrets beating Lazio
Gent beating Spurs
Salzberg beating Dortmund
Salzberg beating Lazio

Now Villareal beating Arsenal and also Man Utd.

There will be more shock results to come where poor teams manage to turn it on over a round or two of the competition.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Fri May 28, 2021 6:27 pm

theHotHead wrote:
Goonerred wrote:
theHotHead wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:

I would've bet on us to beat Man U, if we made the final, that is the one thing I can give Arteta credit for, he has absolutely improved our performances against the top 6 teams.

0-0 FT is possible but we would have bottled the shootout.
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby KG3 » Sat May 29, 2021 8:49 am

swipe right wrote:How about Coq’s cool as ice penalty? Top bins.

Would have been helpful to know he can hit these for games like the shootout against Bradford or the game against Bayern with Ozil hitting one of the most pathetic penalties I’ve seen
KG3
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby starmandb » Mon May 31, 2021 3:50 pm

Özim wrote:Losing a one off game is one thing, but over two legs the better side tends to triumph.

I guess that was why you was so ecstatic when we beat future European champions over 2 legs
3 if you include the fa cup final
starmandb
Member of the Year 2018, 2020

Postby starmandb » Mon May 31, 2021 3:53 pm

aniym wrote:
theHotHead wrote:
Goonerred wrote:
theHotHead wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:

0-0 FT is possible but we would have bottled the shootout.

Won 9 out of 13 penalty shootouts
starmandb

Previous

Return to Arsenal Talk