Gunners miss out on Eto'o

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Gunners miss out on Eto'o

Postby nunoband » Fri Jun 15, 2007 9:35 am

ARSENAL have been priced out of a sensational swoop for Barcelona striker Samuel Eto'o.

Gunners boss Arsene Wenger flew to Africa two weeks ago for a secret meeting with the Cameroon international.

And the Frenchman came away confident he could land his man after Eto'o revealed he would jump at the chance to play in the Premier League.

Wenger reported the good news to his board but was disappointed to be told Arsenal could not meet Barca's asking price.

The Spanish giants will not part with Eto'o, 26, unless they receive an offer in the region of £25million.

Wenger has spent just £2m on Polish goalkeeper Lukasz Fabianski since the end of last season.

But his target of signing a major star to keep skipper Thierry Henry happy is unlikely to materialise.

And Eto'o will not get his wish of playing alongside Henry — unless the French ace joins him at the Nou Camp.
nunoband
Liam Brady

Postby CLS » Fri Jun 15, 2007 10:50 am

we need to dig deep in them pockets if we want to challenge for the title, imo
http://www.myspace.com/screema69

"IVE CHANGED MY SIG BUT IN CASE LRL FORGETS I AM
PREDICTION LEAGUE WINNER 2006
GOONER IDOL WINNER 2007
CAPTION COMP WINNER 2007 "
CLS
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby rvtheace » Fri Jun 15, 2007 2:32 pm

I wonder how true this story is. Man, if things like this actually happen, Wenger will soon want out!
rvtheace
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby She_Gunner_Wales » Fri Jun 15, 2007 7:58 pm

I wonder how much of it is true too.....

The board have said Wenger will have money to spend, but that sounds like they would not be happy to spend that amount on just one player....?

Im sure Thierry has a clause in his contract to be kept the highest paid player at the club, so if Eto'o did in fact join, 1stly what are his wage demands? cos if they are higher than Thierry's then is a point blank 'no', especailly with the financial situation.
The board have always maintained that the transfer funds & those for the debt repayments for Emirates are totally separate, but that could well be going on the current wage bill...and players who are not above the 110k TH14 pay bracket.....if you get my drift.

Oh well...its one theory! ;)
She_Gunner_Wales
Graphics Team

We need more world class players

Postby Iranian gooner » Sat Jun 16, 2007 12:47 pm

we need to sign more world class players but these sort of plp come at a price, we just cannot afford them
He is better than you......

Iranian gooner
Liam Brady

Postby She_Gunner_Wales » Sun Jun 17, 2007 3:38 pm

I dont think its a case of not being able to afford it, but more that if we did sign someone big at an extortionate price, it would eat up the entire transfer kitty for the window in which he is signed.
Plus if the wages were to be higher than Thierry's then he would also have to be given an improved contract...that is the main part of it that casts doubt over me.
She_Gunner_Wales
Graphics Team

Return to Arsenal Talk