Fábio Vieira (21)

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: Fabio Vieira

Postby TedLasso » Thu Jun 16, 2022 3:46 pm

Ach wrote:Needs end product

Led the Portuguese league in assists from the 10 spot. We'll see how it translates to the PL but should be very good depth for Europa games at the least.
TedLasso
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Power n Glory » Thu Jun 16, 2022 4:03 pm

Unnecessary signing. Odegard doesn't need back up, he needs to be sold if he can't do the job.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby RowdyRoddyPoppins » Thu Jun 16, 2022 4:11 pm

So underwhelming.
RowdyRoddyPoppins
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Thu Jun 16, 2022 4:24 pm

One more brick in the "young team" wall of excuses.

We need 2 quality forwards not another CM nobody's heard of.
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Power n Glory » Thu Jun 16, 2022 4:29 pm

Highbury Hillbilly wrote:One more brick in the "young team" wall of excuses.

We need 2 quality forwards not another CM nobody's heard of.

He's not even a CM. He's a 10 but can LW apparently. So if he's a starter, he's blocking Odegaard, Martinelli or Smith Rowe unless we plan on moving someone to a new position to fill either the CM or Striker position.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby EliteKiller » Thu Jun 16, 2022 4:39 pm

Why? if we sign the five/six players we need and this is just a "one for the future" punt then OK - but this lad is nowhere near a starting EPL player yet, am with 8 goals in 54 games, hardly setting the world on fire.

Happy to wait and see - where are the starting players?
EliteKiller
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby TedLasso » Thu Jun 16, 2022 5:00 pm

Power n Glory wrote:Unnecessary signing. Odegard doesn't need back up, he needs to be sold if he can't do the job.

Fair point. If there's one thing I know about football, its that you only need 11 players and you should play them in every single match whether they are hurt or not.
TedLasso
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Arsenal Tone » Thu Jun 16, 2022 5:07 pm

What position will he play? Seems like a typical Wenger style 'not really a winger, not really a CM, not really a CF, likes to play in the hole' type.
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby Power n Glory » Thu Jun 16, 2022 5:08 pm

TedLasso wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:Unnecessary signing. Odegard doesn't need back up, he needs to be sold if he can't do the job.

Fair point. If there's one thing I know about football, its that you only need 11 players and you should play them in every single match whether they are hurt or not.

I don't think it's a good idea to spend £30m on a bench player when we have other key positions for the first team to fill. Also seems odd to spend more money on a position we invested in last season. Plus Smith Rowe is being used to rotate between Martinelli and Odegaard. It's not a priority position.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby Reiss » Thu Jun 16, 2022 5:21 pm

A quality little technical player apparently.

We need some of that after shifting Ozil, Ramsey, Santi, Jack etc over the years.

Saw someone say that he is widely considered the next big thing in Portuguese football.

Arteta building a young dynasty here :hail:
Reiss
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby TedLasso » Thu Jun 16, 2022 5:23 pm

Power n Glory wrote:
TedLasso wrote:

I don't think it's a good idea to spend £30m on a bench player when we have other key positions for the first team to fill. Also seems odd to spend more money on a position we invested in last season. Plus Smith Rowe is being used to rotate between Martinelli and Odegaard. It's not a priority position.

£30m is about what you have to spend for a good rotation player these days. Personally, I dont think you have to sign players in priority order, as long as those priorities are addressed before the season. If ESR is viewed as a LW or LAM, the Vieira is his counterpart on the right. I just don't see how signing a quality, young player (that is the future of the Portuguese midfield mind you) is a problem.

I've thought all year that we needed to address our attacking midfield depth ALONG with CM, ST, and LB. I could not care less how much of Kroenke's money we spend to do so. He owes the club ten fold after the super league debacle.
TedLasso
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby UFGN » Thu Jun 16, 2022 5:23 pm

Arsenal Tone wrote:What position will he play? Seems like a typical Wenger style 'not really a winger, not really a CM, not really a CF, likes to play in the hole' type.

:rofll: :rofll: :rofll: as soon as I saw your name in the thread I knew exactly what you'd written

Ah the old days :cloud9:
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN
Member of the Year 2014, 2019
Member of the Year 2014, 2019

Postby Reiss » Thu Jun 16, 2022 5:44 pm

@SalibaEra_: No player provided more assists during the 2021/22 Primeira Liga season than Fábio Vieira.

Lack of creativity at this club they said? King Mikel is delivering :hail:
Reiss
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby Power n Glory » Thu Jun 16, 2022 5:57 pm

TedLasso wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
TedLasso wrote:

£30m is about what you have to spend for a good rotation player these days. Personally, I dont think you have to sign players in priority order, as long as those priorities are addressed before the season. If ESR is viewed as a LW or LAM, the Vieira is his counterpart on the right. I just don't see how signing a quality, young player (that is the future of the Portuguese midfield mind you) is a problem.

I've thought all year that we needed to address our attacking midfield depth ALONG with CM, ST, and LB. I could not care less how much of Kroenke's money we spend to do so. He owes the club ten fold after the super league debacle.

You're assuming he's a rotation player and this is the first I've heard of £30m being the price for a good rotation player. We spent that amount on Odegaard last year. I hope we don't try to accommodate both players in the line up whilst weakening another area. It often worries me when we double up on positions like this.

If he's good enough to take Odegaard's place, great. But personally, I don't see the AM having a major impact on how we play if we don't have anyone to put the ball in the back of the net. Odegard wasn't supposed to help create goals for us last season and ended up with just 4 assists.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby Gooner_ESR10 » Thu Jun 16, 2022 6:02 pm

This one came out of nowhere. Hopefully more being done behind the scenes, need Jesus in ASAP and a couple more.
Gooner_ESR10
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk