Why do we seem to be wasting transfer funds?

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Have we been wasting funds the last few years?

Yes
82%
No
No votes
Other (explain below)
18%

Total votes : 11

Why do we seem to be wasting transfer funds?

Postby KG3 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:09 pm

Son, Bergjiwn, Moura, Bale cost spurs 74M combined whereas Pepe cost us 72M...we really need to re-evaluate our transfers it’s not just this one, Torreria 27M, Mustafi 30M, Xhaka 35M it all adds up.

I just don’t understand it?, who sat there watching Granit Xhaka thinking someone slow that turn like a bus will be a good midfielder, for a high intensity league.

Torreria great player but the last thing a team with a lightweight midfields needs, two years later we correct that and buy Partey.

We need to start buying players ideal for BPL and the type of football we intend on playing long term, not just spending because they’re available and we have the money. Unlike Chelsea/City we don’t have the luxury of spending 50M+ on the same position every season if someone flops.

Moving forward we need to buy more BPL quality Van Der Saar, Ferdinand, Kante, Wijnaldum, Mane, Rooney, Maherz etc the list goes on. BPL proven quality is always best even if it’s overpriced at risk you know what you’re getting.

When it comes to any signings abroad we shouldn’t spend big on anyone who’s only had one good season like Pepe, only players who’ve had a few good season already like Ozil and Aguero.

Anyways this is just my opinion maybe I’m wrong, what do you people think?
KG3
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Re: Why do we seem to be wasting transfer funds?

Postby Santi » Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:16 pm

I think we need to revisit the young prospects model and then as you say, plunge for a few established (multi-year) stars to supplement it.

Auba - he was money well spent before his latest deal.
Partey - looks like a decent buy
Tierney - looks like a decent buy
Leno - looks like a decent buy
Gabriel - money very well spent so far

We need to add some class like Aouar in the middle and then supplement the above with some good youth prospects where we can find ones like Martinelli. Not every one of them will work out but it's the only model we can afford and the ones that do work out should make us some profit.

Liverpool had the model, accelerated it through Coutinho and now reap the rewards. We have to take a similar approach.
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby swipe right » Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:43 pm

It’s what happens when you hire grifters like Raul.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby theHotHead » Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:07 pm

We have spunked so much money in the past 10 years its anot even funny, that why when people criticise Kroenke for not spending money I laugh, the man has allowed the club to spend good money and most of it has been wasted.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby jayramfootball » Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:19 pm

theHotHead wrote:We have spunked so much money in the past 10 years its anot even funny, that why when people criticise Kroenke for not spending money I laugh, the man has allowed the club to spend good money and most of it has been wasted.

Exactly correct.
We've been one of the biggest spending clubs but we've bought absolute crap like Mustafi, Xhaka and Pepe for a combined 150m!
Taken to the f****** cleaners.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Callum » Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:33 pm

No clear direction, with plenty of change at the top. Since 2018 we've seen Wenger, Gazidis, Mislintat and Sanllehi all depart, all who had a big influence on transfers and the deals we were making.

I also think there's been a degree of short-term thinking that has clouded the bigger picture in our desperate clamour for a return to Champions League football, leading to this mismatched squad. We'd have been better off biting the bullet and recognizing that it'll take us longer, and enacting a more cohesive transfer strategy to build a squad that can actually grow and develop together in a way that makes sense.

My hope is that Arteta, Edu and Vinai can actually start planning for the long term now and start to build a collection of players who work together.
Callum
SE13
SE13

Postby Callum » Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:36 pm

Also, whilst there's undoubtedly been some really awful deals made in recent years (e.g. Pepe at £72m, Sokratis at £18m) we have done some good business alongside it. The issue has been that the bad deals have been really costly ones.
Callum
SE13
SE13

Postby Power n Glory » Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:45 pm

I just heard Cedric is on a 4 year deal. We know Willian is on a 3 year deal and I'm not sure about Pablo Mari.

We're still wasting money and making bad decisions. Haven't been impressed by Edu at all.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby Dejan » Mon Nov 23, 2020 5:47 pm

Santi wrote:I think we need to revisit the young prospects model and then as you say, plunge for a few established (multi-year) stars to supplement it.

We need to add some class like Aouar in the middle and then supplement the above with some good youth prospects where we can find ones like Martinelli. Not every one of them will work out but it's the only model we can afford and the ones that do work out should make us some profit.

Liverpool had the model, accelerated it through Coutinho and now reap the rewards. We have to take a similar approach.
Pepe is actually the reason i no longer want aouar here. We are falling for the hype way too f***ing soon. And to remind, 3 goals and 4 assists last season in the league isnt anything to write home about, even if the league was shortened.

Stay clear

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G935F met Tapatalk
Rest in Peace SE13 :(
Dejan
SE13
SE13

Postby Power n Glory » Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:32 pm

Remember the hype for Thomas Lemar and Malcom? Both utter flops in La Liga.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby LMAO » Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:10 pm

Callum wrote:No clear direction, with plenty of change at the top. Since 2018 we've seen Wenger, Gazidis, Mislintat and Sanllehi all depart, all who had a big influence on transfers and the deals we were making.

I also think there's been a degree of short-term thinking that has clouded the bigger picture in our desperate clamour for a return to Champions League football, leading to this mismatched squad. We'd have been better off biting the bullet and recognizing that it'll take us longer, and enacting a more cohesive transfer strategy to build a squad that can actually grow and develop together in a way that makes sense.

My hope is that Arteta, Edu and Vinai can actually start planning for the long term now and start to build a collection of players who work together.

Hopefully this past summer was the start of that. Partey and Gabriel are excellent pieces for a strong spine.

Willian and Cedric are disappointing for me, and it's going to be a problem if we supplement signings of the former two with the deadwood of the latter two. I don't mind Arsenal bringing in short-term cover for positions the team lacks depth in, but don't put them on long contracts that are virtually impossible for the club to get out of ffs
LMAO
Member of the Year 2019
Member of the Year 2019

Postby DiamondGooner » Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:14 pm

Power n Glory wrote:I just heard Cedric is on a 4 year deal. We know Willian is on a 3 year deal and I'm not sure about Pablo Mari.

We're still wasting money and making bad decisions. Haven't been impressed by Edu at all.

Half and half.

Cedric is clearly a trash deal, so is Willian.

Mari has yet to show and Auba is what it is, if he starts scoring again soon we'll all go back to being happy.

Partey, Gabriel and Tierney have been great money well spent though.

Over all considering Willian is a freebee transfer money wise and Cedric is on the cheap, I'll take that good over the bad tbh.

Other clubs have done a lot worse, Utd for one, Bale looks like a complete waste of wages, Mourhino is barely starting him.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Santi » Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:17 am

Dejan wrote:
Santi wrote:I think we need to revisit the young prospects model and then as you say, plunge for a few established (multi-year) stars to supplement it.

Pepe is actually the reason i no longer want aouar here. We are falling for the hype way too f***ing soon. And to remind, 3 goals and 4 assists last season in the league isnt anything to write home about, even if the league was shortened.

Stay clear

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G935F met Tapatalk

It's not hype if you actually watch him. Hazard also played ligue 1, the shit bastard.
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby theHotHead » Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:58 am

Surely we would all be happy seeing progression, I know there will always be some that want immediate big gains, but look at Liverpool, they invested in players, selling their best players to buy 3 or 4 players and over a 5 year period of steady progression Liverpool - under Klopp's style of play have ended a multidecade hoodoo. Their's is the blueprint we should be following.

Klopp got rid of Borini, Lambert and Aspas in his first season, he got rid of Benteke the next season and brought in Mane but he kept his fringe players like Sturridge, Origi and Lucas. He only shipped them out once he brought in better players. Contrast that to what Arteta is doing, devaluing players by not playing them and not registering players that could have given something to the team.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby EliteKiller » Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:43 am

The issue is we don't get rid of the crap fast enough and end up buying average cover for positions we already have filled.

Look at the squad

GK - Leno (28) Runarsson (25) Macey (26) ..... that's good future planning.

Left FB's - Tierney (23) Kolasniac (27) ... pretty good but not title material
Right FB's - Bellerin (25) Soares (29) ... pretty good but not title material

CB's - Gabriel (22) Saliba (19) - both very young and inexperienced for EPL CB's - but great potential
CB's - Chambers (25) Holding (25) Mari (27) - these should be the foundation for the next three/four years - are they good enough
CB's - Sokratis (32) Luiz (33) Mustafi (28) - these should be the wise heads bringing through the youngsters - who are we kidding?

DM's - Partey (27) Xhaka (28) Elneny (28) three experienced player should be a very solid base, maybe given time or maybe a swap deal
CM's - Ceballos (24) Willock (21) AMN (23) Saka (19) where's the experienced midfield general amongst that lot?
AM's - Ozil (32) ESR (20) one on the way out and one barely out of nappies

LW - Martinelli (19) our only left sided player and he's a child
RW - Willian (32) Pepe (25) Nelson (20) why, why, why did we sign a decrepit right winger when we needed a LW?

Strikers Auba (31) Laca (29) Nkeriah (21) nothing wrong with those three.

So we have three keepers who should be good for the next 7/8 years ....

We have four fullbacks so we probably need one more, we clearly need upgrades as well. We should be looking to replace Kolasniac and Soares as soon as we can.

We have eight CB's three are either old and/or useless, two are very young for the role, and the other three are a bit meh. We need to shift at least four of them and bring in two quality 24-28 year old proven CB's ... not easy but needs doing, eight is crazy six is enough.

Midfield looks fine in defence: sure Xhaka and Elneny could be improved on but playing one alongside Partey is OK for a season or two.
In the middle it's just awful: Ceballos isn't ours and Willock, AMN, Saka are like lambs to the slaughter ... we need a Fabinho, Hojbjerg, Goretzka, Hofmann type player who gets everywhere.
As for AM's what a feck up, Ozil is gone and all we have is kid with zero game time.

Wingers are just odd: we had three young players two right one left so you would think an experienced left sided player was needed, we bought an ageing right sided player - go figure

Forwards on paper look great: two oldies with fantastic goal-scoring records and a youngster learning his trade ... problem is with zero service they might as well be planks of wood.

In three years we have spent money on - Leno, Tierney, Saliba, Gabriel and Partey which all look good buys for now and the future

In three years we've also spent money on - Sokratis, Guendouzi, Torreira, Pepe, Luiz, Mari which don't look so clever

In the last few years we've given huge contracts to Mustafi, Ozil, Sokratis, Luiz, Soares, Willian and Auba many of them the wrong side of thirty, how many off them will prove good value for those contracts?
EliteKiller
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Next

Return to Arsenal Talk