Match superstitions

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Match superstitions

Postby Reverend Gooner » Sat Jul 05, 2008 1:31 pm

Do you have any pre or during match superstitions that you follow before/while you either watch us live or on the television?

I have 2:

I always touch wood when commentators say jinx stuff like "Arsenal have never lost when Adebayor has scored" or comments like that.

Most importantly i always miss a goal nearly every time i leave the room, it is uncanny, this season and during the Euro's i missed up to a quarter/third of the goals i could have seen (not just Arsenal but any game) because i go to get some food/drink or go to the toilet.

So my major superstition is that if Arsenal are under pressure then i do not leave the room under any circumstances because if a goal is going to be missed it will likely be against us.

Do you have any Arsenal match superstitions?
Reverend Gooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Match superstitions

Postby murphy1118 » Sat Jul 05, 2008 2:49 pm

Whenever I watch the Arsenal I am in my away shirt.

When I turn the match off because of frustration they always come back. So I amke sure to turn the match off if we are losing.

My son has to be in his away kit. Socks and all.

My wife has to wear her scarf.
murphy1118
Charlie George
Charlie George

Postby Fabrestuta » Sat Jul 05, 2008 2:54 pm

I don't watch Arsenal at my sisters house because we always lose, and its usually badly.
Fabrestuta
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Postby AFCJosh » Sat Jul 05, 2008 3:15 pm

Ok well.....
Firstly i always wear the shirt i think we will be wearing....

**If im watching it on the tv
As the players walk out the tunnel I say "C'mon" followed by the players first name for all 11 starters
Sing an Arsenal song as we kick off, and then kiss the badge
I dont sit on a sofa/chair....its stand up or the floor.
I dont eat or drink anything while we are playing and very rarely during half time

**If im at the match
Its all pretty similar except the sitting on the floor rule, and i wear an arsenal chain i got when i was very young lol.

But if i cant watch or listen to the game, i will put all superstitions out the window and just wear the top and watch motd....trying not to know the score all day (very hard especially when your wearing the top and people shout the score at you)

There are some more that i cant really think of right now lol...do i take it too far......but what if we loose
AFCJosh
Ian Wright
Ian Wright

Postby Emirates_Lad » Sat Jul 05, 2008 9:45 pm

It sounds weird but I never the same kit we are playing in, because we seem to have a bad record whenever I do.
Captain Fabtastic
Emirates_Lad
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby Andreys_Does_Simples » Sun Jul 06, 2008 12:18 am

I make sure I give my mum a kiss when I leave my old mans house and thats it.

Although in India I got a new tradition which works out terribly wonderfully for me. I can't remember who we were playing, think it was Everton and we'd just got in from dinner. Anyhow as you remember we went 1-0 down and my Mrs was getting herself sorted for bed. Well the second she was in the buff we scored, so she sat that way until the end of the game. We won and I f***ing was on a winner that night. Result.
Reinvestment before Renewal.
Andreys_Does_Simples
Match Reporter

Postby Reverend Gooner » Sun Jul 06, 2008 12:53 am

Ades_Dancin_Shoes wrote:Although in India I got a new tradition which works out terribly wonderfully for me. I can't remember who we were playing, think it was Everton and we'd just got in from dinner. Anyhow as you remember we went 1-0 down and my Mrs was getting herself sorted for bed. Well the second she was in the buff we scored, so she sat that way until the end of the game. We won and I f***ing was on a winner that night. Result.

Lol, that is one hell of a superstition. May be a bit troublesome if you are both watching the game down the pub though ;) :biggrin:
Reverend Gooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Bristol_Gunner » Sun Jul 06, 2008 1:04 am

i dunno sometimes i find wearing my arsenal shirt as bad luck as i always think omg ... minute are we ever going to get a goal
Bristol_Gunner
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby SE13 » Sun Jul 06, 2008 8:14 am

Emirates_Lad wrote:It sounds weird but I never the same kit we are playing in, because we seem to have a bad record whenever I do.

Funnily enough, I try to wear the top from the previous season, because when I wear the current one, we never seem to do very well.

Please note that my comments are my own view, and not that of GoonersWorld. Everything I write is subject to © 2007-2013, and is my own work unless quoted otherwise.
SE13
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Postby Andreys_Does_Simples » Sun Jul 06, 2008 9:57 am

Reverend Gooner wrote:
Ades_Dancin_Shoes wrote:Although in India I got a new tradition which works out terribly wonderfully for me. I can't remember who we were playing, think it was Everton and we'd just got in from dinner. Anyhow as you remember we went 1-0 down and my Mrs was getting herself sorted for bed. Well the second she was in the buff we scored, so she sat that way until the end of the game. We won and I f***ing was on a winner that night. Result.

Lol, that is one hell of a superstition. May be a bit troublesome if you are both watching the game down the pub though ;) :biggrin:

It would be but she won't come down to watch it with me cos she don't really care too much which is shameful. But everytime she's came to a game we've won so she ain't all bad.
Reinvestment before Renewal.
Andreys_Does_Simples
Match Reporter

Postby Arsenal Tone » Tue May 28, 2019 10:22 pm

So the Saturday before the second leg vs Napoli I decided to wear my reversable Arsenal coat green side out for the first time whilst walking my dog. I have done this every Saturday before a Europa League game since then.

This saturday the sun was out and it was hot so I got out the car, put the coat on green side out, walked around the car, then took it off and walked the dog. Luckily the weather turned wet on Sunday and I could wear it for the full walk.

The question is, does this count?
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby UFGN » Tue May 28, 2019 10:27 pm

Tony_Adams wrote:So the Saturday before the second leg vs Napoli I decided to wear my reversable Arsenal coat green side out for the first time whilst walking my dog. I have done this every Saturday before a Europa League game since then.

This saturday the sun was out and it was hot so I got out the car, put the coat on green side out, walked around the car, then took it off and walked the dog. Luckily the weather turned wet on Sunday and I could wear it for the full walk.

The question is, does this count?

No it just means your neighbours now think you're a dodgy green anorak w***er and all the local kids have probably been told to scream if come near them
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN
Member of the Year 2014, 2019

Postby UFGN » Tue May 28, 2019 10:38 pm

I own a League Champions 1989 scarf thats been worn for lots of big matches over the years. Its been to Wembley three times

Its been pretty much luck neutral to be honest. I'll wear it tomorrow anyway
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN

Postby PairyGrows » Wed May 29, 2019 4:22 am

I don't consider myself very superstitious. However, it is interesting to read about the superstitions of my fellow Gooners.
PairyGrows
Ian Wright
Ian Wright

Postby FrustratedGooner » Wed May 29, 2019 5:33 am

I make sure I have eaten before the game or at half time but not when the game is playing. When I don’t eat and I’m in a bad mood (because I’m hungry) we tend to loose and when I eat before or at half time it’s we tend to get a result.
FrustratedGooner
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Next

Return to Arsenal Talk