The Saliba-Gabriel Partnership Thread

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

The Saliba-Gabriel Partnership Thread

Postby Arsenal Tone » Sat Sep 05, 2020 10:07 pm

Came across this today:

https://twitter.com/EditsDk15/status/13 ... 63904?s=09

Ten years down the line I'm hoping this thread is necessary ;)
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Re: The Saliba-Gabriel Partnership Thread

Postby Callum » Sun Sep 06, 2020 4:25 am

This is very much a transitional season for us and I hope the fans give both of these guys the time they need to adapt to the league and settle into our team. I've high hopes for both of them but it may take time for them to adjust. If we end the season with these two as our established centre-back pairing in a back four that'll be a big success.

Also, prediction—I've a feeling Saliba will outshine Gabriel this year despite being a few years younger.
Callum
SE13
SE13

Postby Arsenal Tone » Sun Sep 06, 2020 10:12 am

Yeah, I don't expect to see them play together much this season. Gabby will take time to train with team mates and get his fitness up. Saliba has the advantage of being with us for all of the mini pre-season.
Raya/Ramsdale
???/Jorginho
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby Sims » Sun Sep 06, 2020 10:16 am

If we play a four often this season I think it will be Luiz & Gabriel mainly, for communication purposes and also to ease Saliba in

Our backline is pretty much sorted for a decade now
Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

Postby Arsenal Tone » Sun Sep 06, 2020 10:17 am

Sims wrote:If we play a four often this season I think it will be Luiz & Gabriel mainly, for communication purposes and also to ease Saliba in

Agreed. Wouldn't be surprised if Holding starts our first game next to Luiz if he's still with us. I wonder if Saliba might be used to cover RB if bellerin or amn are sold to give him game time too.
Raya/Ramsdale
???/Jorginho
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby Dejan » Sun Sep 06, 2020 10:22 am

Sims wrote:If we play a four often this season I think it will be Luiz & Gabriel mainly, for communication purposes and also to ease Saliba in

Lets wait and see if they are actually any good before making these kind of bold statements. Once we are linked with a player these players suddenly are 10 times better than they actually are

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G935F met Tapatalk
Rest in Peace SE13 :(
Dejan
SE13
SE13

Postby gooney » Sun Sep 06, 2020 11:10 am

2 young players with no PL experience. Luiz is the nr 1 CB next season and we dont know how good either of these guys actually are
gooney
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Arsenal Tone » Sun Sep 06, 2020 11:57 am

gooney wrote:2 young players with no PL experience. Luiz is the nr 1 CB next season and we dont know how good either of these guys actually are
Totally true. I'm still excited about them both though. Both are the type of CB I have been wanting for years.

Of course they could be the next Djourou and Senderos though :hiding:
Raya/Ramsdale
???/Jorginho
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby PairyGrows » Mon Sep 07, 2020 8:13 am

While I think Gabriel and Saliba can form a formidable centre back pairing, I think we're about three to four years away from that happening. Any hope that these two are going to transform us this season is wishful thinking as far as I'm concerned.
PairyGrows
Ian Wright
Ian Wright

Postby thebigbangtheo » Mon Sep 07, 2020 11:48 am

Having been a primarily defensive player myself, I'm genuinely intrigued by any insight regards defensive set ups, particularly central defenders, man markers and holding midfielders.

I didn't really learn to appreciate David O'Leary until his latter years, and was probably most influenced by Hansen and Lawrenson, Barasi and Desailli, the original Dave Watson, Paul McGrath.

That the first nickname I ever had came from my friends whilst kicking ball in the streets or on the Rec was the black Willie Young was irrelevant, in my head I was prime Clodualdo.

Having witnessed what seemed like years of human sacrifice of our midfield and back four to an insatiable Inca God, the sudden sea change in our defensive line is nothing short of remarkable.

Whilst I get the new found optimism following our addition of 2 young and talented centre backs, we still need to establish which pairing from the 5 central defenders we're likely to go into the season with will work best. The chemistry, fit and finish, dovetailing or whatever you want to call it is simply crucial to an effective defensive pairing.

A Saliba & Gabriel partnership does get the imagination and creative juices flowing, but I think both Mari and Luiz will be much more prominent than many will expect and given Mustafi could be the 5th Beatle due to the timing of his injury, wouldn't it be just like him to get a game and look like a Franco Barasi tribute act NOW after all this time.

But then again, typical Arsenal, we never do anything the easy way even when we're the best at doing it.
thebigbangtheo
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Ach » Mon Sep 07, 2020 1:35 pm

Haven't seen either play

cant be any worse than kos and co though surely.
Ach
SE13
SE13

Postby jayramfootball » Mon Sep 07, 2020 2:18 pm

thebigbangtheo wrote:Having been a primarily defensive player myself, I'm genuinely intrigued by any insight regards defensive set ups, particularly central defenders, man markers and holding midfielders.

I didn't really learn to appreciate David O'Leary until his latter years, and was probably most influenced by Hansen and Lawrenson, Barasi and Desailli, the original Dave Watson, Paul McGrath.

That the first nickname I ever had came from my friends whilst kicking ball in the streets or on the Rec was the black Willie Young was irrelevant, in my head I was prime Clodualdo.

Having witnessed what seemed like years of human sacrifice of our midfield and back four to an insatiable Inca God, the sudden sea change in our defensive line is nothing short of remarkable.

Whilst I get the new found optimism following our addition of 2 young and talented centre backs, we still need to establish which pairing from the 5 central defenders we're likely to go into the season with will work best. The chemistry, fit and finish, dovetailing or whatever you want to call it is simply crucial to an effective defensive pairing.

A Saliba & Gabriel partnership does get the imagination and creative juices flowing, but I think both Mari and Luiz will be much more prominent than many will expect and given Mustafi could be the 5th Beatle due to the timing of his injury, wouldn't it be just like him to get a game and look like a Franco Barasi tribute act NOW after all this time.

But then again, typical Arsenal, we never do anything the easy way even when we're the best at doing it.

I suspect Luiz will be the first name on the team sheet for CB and depending on whether we play 5 at the back, he'll be partnered with either Gabriel or Saliba (or both)
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby thebigbangtheo » Mon Sep 07, 2020 5:40 pm

jayramfootball wrote:
thebigbangtheo wrote:Having been a primarily defensive player myself, I'm genuinely intrigued by any insight regards defensive set ups, particularly central defenders, man markers and holding midfielders.

I suspect Luiz will be the first name on the team sheet for CB and depending on whether we play 5 at the back, he'll be partnered with either Gabriel or Saliba (or both)

I am still of the opinion that our primary formations and style of play are best served by four at the back with the extra body instead deployed in the middle in order to dominate control of the midfield.

However, that we have progressed defensively to now be proficient and effective playing 3 centre backs, along with wing backs who now seem to have a bit of a clue as to how to play the role properly, I'm in favour of such a tactical switch for tough away games or even at home.

If all goes well, Luiz being flanked by the the 2 young bulls could have him evoking memories of Toni Cerezo.
thebigbangtheo
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Callum » Tue Sep 08, 2020 4:32 pm

Callum
SE13
SE13

Postby Arsenal Tone » Tue Sep 08, 2020 4:53 pm

Callum wrote:Image
:cloud9: