Thomas Partey (5)

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: Thomas Partey (5)

Postby Salibatelli » Thu Oct 21, 2021 1:24 pm

It’s taken us two years and we’re still no closer, Vieira comes in, few months later the team is completely transformed and he’s stamped his authority.

You’ve got to question a process that delivers no tangible improvements or definitive style after almost 2 years.

I think most people are done with the process to be honest, new season and what’s changed, we’ve got an entirely new team since he arrived and we don’t look any better.

Not being funny but what are we waiting for, some sort of miraculous turnaround that is never going to happen? If nothings really changed in two year why would it change now?
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby theHotHead » Thu Oct 21, 2021 1:32 pm

I think Odegaard needs a different system, we don't have the movement up front to take benefit from Odegaard's style of play - which lets not forget is very similar to Ozil's game. We need movement, we need intelligent runs. We look awful in attack at the moment.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby theHotHead » Thu Oct 21, 2021 1:33 pm

Power n Glory wrote:
Part in bold stood. Seems more like a 'trust the process' type of statement, :sleepy:

Straight from the horse's mouth, he is a box to box midfielder, you can see it when he plays. Would be an awful decision to make him just sit, he has far more to his game.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby Power n Glory » Thu Oct 21, 2021 1:42 pm

theHotHead wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
Part in bold stood. Seems more like a 'trust the process' type of statement, :sleepy:

Straight from the horse's mouth, he is a box to box midfielder, you can see it when he plays. Would be an awful decision to make him just sit, he has far more to his game.

It's that positioning word coming back. I swear the players are moving around the pitch worried about staying within invisible grids depending on where the ball is.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby Salibatelli » Thu Oct 21, 2021 1:52 pm

Yeah the system is so rigid, I pointed out that ESR had no one to pass to when he had the ball the other day because the forwards are forever chasing back and the man not far enough forward when we do attack.

Why would you sign someone and then not play him to his strengths, it’s a waste.

If you want someone to sit there and not move but a player that does that.

Our forward play is hindered by the system, as has been apparent from early on, we’ve sacrificed our attack for the defence, it’s no wonder we look better defensively, what we need is a decent defence and attack not one or the other.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby Power n Glory » Thu Oct 21, 2021 2:05 pm

Özim wrote:Yeah the system is so rigid, I pointed out that ESR had no one to pass to when he had the ball the other day because the forwards are forever chasing back and the man not far enough forward when we do attack.

Why would you sign someone and then not play him to his strengths, it’s a waste.

Our forward play is hindered by the system, as has been apparent from early on, we’ve sacrificed our attack for the defence, it’s no wonder we look better defensively, what we need is a decent defence and attack not one or the other.

It's like no one ever has good passing options when going forward. It's all too slow. There was a moment where Pepe was deep in our own half but broke free of the dribble but nobody was ahead for a counter attack. It's just too slow and rigid.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby Salibatelli » Thu Oct 21, 2021 2:27 pm

Power n Glory wrote:
Özim wrote:Yeah the system is so rigid, I pointed out that ESR had no one to pass to when he had the ball the other day because the forwards are forever chasing back and the man not far enough forward when we do attack.

It's like no one ever has good passing options when going forward. It's all too slow. There was a moment where Pepe was deep in our own half but broke free of the dribble but nobody was ahead for a counter attack. It's just too slow and rigid.

Yeah it is I agree it’s a common theme as well, it’s not down to the players when a system is so flawed that it prevents them doing what they excel at.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby jayramfootball » Thu Oct 21, 2021 2:31 pm

Power n Glory wrote:
Arsenal new boy Partey: I want to attack like Yaya and defend like Essien

"I like to be both defensive and offensive. I know whenever I am in the opposite area, I have chances for a goal and I think defensively, I want to be stronger,” he told Sky Sports.

"I want to attack like Yaya Toure and defend like Michael Essien so to have both qualities is good.

"Whenever there is a serious game, or in any game, I like to go with surprises. Most people see me as a defensive midfielder but with my intelligence and how I read the game, if we're near the end of the game and we're going to finish with 2-0, that's when I go for my goal.

"Playing in the midfield, you have to be mentally quick and be intelligent in how you position yourself and get the ball.

"Mikel [Arteta] is helping me a lot because we always have the ball so you have time to think and position yourself and I think with time, I'll get used to everything and most things will come after that. I think everybody will know and we'll see what will happen."

"Simeone has helped me a lot. Before, I was just a good player but then he spoke to me and said: 'If you want to be among the best, you have to be the best. Every good player is good offensively but not all players are good defensively', so he gave me that," he said.

"This is what we [at Arsenal] are working on [defensive qualities as a midfielder]. I only arrived three weeks ago and I think at the moment, I'm adapting with the positioning and after that, I'll continue working hard on how to move freely.

"You don't always have to be positioned as the coach said, you have to be free and create spaces because you are on the field and know what is going to happen. With confidence and understanding your team-mates, you'll be able to put all of that into the game."

Yes yet another player telling you exactly what is going on, as I have told you.
That you don't agree with the decisions the club is making is fair enough, but that is our route.
It's a rebuild and a journey to change the way we play in an attempt to change the club's path, which has been down for over a decade.
There are no overnight fixes as some seem to think.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Power n Glory » Thu Oct 21, 2021 3:30 pm

Özim wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:

Yeah it is I agree it’s a common theme as well, it’s not down to the players when a system is so flawed that it prevents them doing what they excel at.

Worth a listen if you have the time. Some of what they say about the slow passing and lack of movement is on the money.

Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby Santi » Thu Oct 21, 2021 3:35 pm

PnG getting paid by the mention from Arsenal Vision podcast.
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby Angelito » Thu Oct 21, 2021 5:13 pm

Santi wrote:f**k sake we don't need a DM, Partey shouldn't have been signed if that wasn't his job. We need more creativity in the middle, Odegaard isn't good enough really so don't get why we signed him but we need a CM who can move the f***ing ball forwards and not shit himself getting closed down.

Give me 34 year old Fabregas at this point or Cazorla back, f***ing hell.

Yeah. We need a Barella, not a DM. Not suggesting that we stand a chance of signing him. However, we need to target someone with a similar profile.

PG's comparison between Thomas and Vieira doesn't really tell the story. Vieira was a B2B player who also happened to have world class passing range and ample creative fibre in his body. That doesn't remind anyone of Partey.

We already can't score goals. Nor are we an attacking side. Partnering Thomas with a DM would be counterproductive. This team lacks goals, not organization. Arteta is pretty good at that. It's the attacking impetus that he lacks.

A creative CM was what we needed. Some of us were screaming for that. Instead, Arteta and Edu added 4 defensive players and another defensive-minded CM in the summer. It made no sense then. And, now, you can see why some fans were pining for such a CM.

Arsenal aren't a mid-table club in principle. This management team and the owners aren't helping any bit by doing their best in making us the Everton-under-Moyes.

How did that become the ideal?
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby ag6789 » Thu Oct 21, 2021 5:33 pm

We do need a DM and a quality CM.
Wenger never addressed the DM issue properly after the invincibles were broken up; thought he could out pass the opponent, but it didn't work fully. He needed the Barca medios to do that, and we remained short handed ever since.
Anyway Partey isn't the answer it seems, either as CM or DM. So the search continues.
ag6789
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby jayramfootball » Thu Oct 21, 2021 5:34 pm

Don't think we have any issue at all upfront - either in terms of movement or the players to exploit that movement.
Every one of our front players and attacking midfielders we've seen excel in those areas at times.

The issue we have is far more simple - and hopefully easier to correct; we can't deal with a pressing game.
It's been that way for years. Under pressure, we fold and either go back/sideways or lose the ball.

There is some element of the system - or at least the variability/adaptability of the style - that we need to address, but much of it comes down to the bravery of the players. We're too safe, too considered in possession. It doesn't flow often enough.

Whether that comes in time, we will see, but right now the team have hardly played with each other.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:10 pm

ag6789 wrote:We do need a DM and a quality CM.
Wenger never addressed the DM issue properly after the invincibles were broken up; thought he could out pass the opponent, but it didn't work fully. He needed the Barca medios to do that, and we remained short handed ever since.
Anyway Partey isn't the answer it seems, either as CM or DM. So the search continues.

LOL, what search? This guy makes £200k pw, he's it whether he's capable or not.

He's going to be the mainstay of our midfield next to Xhaka till 2025 minimum.
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby LMAO » Fri Oct 22, 2021 5:46 am

Santi wrote:f**k sake we don't need a DM, Partey shouldn't have been signed if that wasn't his job. We need more creativity in the middle, Odegaard isn't good enough really so don't get why we signed him but we need a CM who can move the f***ing ball forwards and not shit himself getting closed down.

Give me 34 year old Fabregas at this point or Cazorla back, f***ing hell.

Then I guess Partey shouldn't have been signed because he's not a DM (at least, not a natural one). He wasn't at Atleti, and as we've seen countless times, he's not one here. He's a B2B who can play in a double pivot or with an actual DM behind him. Hell, he plays as Ghana's attacking threat from midfield because they don't have anyone else.

Unless Lokonga can turn into a good partner for a double pivot, I'd like for the club to bring in an actual 6 during the winter window since idk when Xhaka will be back.

Anyway, I honestly don't know what Partey's problem has been. He was pretty press resistant and could launch attacks at Atleti.
LMAO
Member of the Year 2019
Member of the Year 2019

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk