Thomas Partey (5)

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: Thomas Partey (5)

Postby theHotHead » Sun Dec 05, 2021 1:52 pm

He has looked very good in a few games Jay, just nowhere near a consistently high level. He does things no other CM we have can do.
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby jayramfootball » Sun Dec 05, 2021 1:59 pm

theHotHead wrote:He has looked very good in a few games Jay, just nowhere near a consistently high level. He does things no other CM we have can do.

He's looked good in some games, but he's not in any way been dominant in the middle of the park or done anything to suggest he's a 'beast' of a CM.
When he's played well, he's linked well and moved the ball with accuracy.
I have not seem him burst forward much, not much in the way of tackling, not much in the way of fighting off pressure, not much in the way of creativity
At this stage Lokonga, a kid, looks to have superior skills and is more adept at retaining possession and pulling out a special pass from time to time that creates something.

At this stage, I'd be thinking of which DM can we buy to partner Lokonga. Partey needs to step up several levels and quickly. He's 28.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Phil71 » Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:31 am

jayramfootball wrote:
theHotHead wrote:He has looked very good in a few games Jay, just nowhere near a consistently high level. He does things no other CM we have can do.

He's looked good in some games, but he's not in any way been dominant in the middle of the park or done anything to suggest he's a 'beast' of a CM.
I have not seem him burst forward much, not much in the way of tackling, not much in the way of fighting off pressure, not much in the way of creativity
At this stage Lokonga, a kid, looks to have superior skills and is more adept at retaining possession and pulling out a special pass from time to time that creates something.

At this stage, I'd be thinking of which DM can we buy to partner Lokonga. Partey needs to step up several levels and quickly. He's 28.

My thoughts entirely.

He's a bit of an enigma. In some games he has been unplayable - like last year against United. When he's at his best he really is a top, top player. World class. Then he has the worst performance possible - like this year against United!

He's not a kid, and at 28 you would expect to see some level of consistency. It's not only since he came to us either. I recall him having similar consistency issues at Athletico. I guess you can get away with it a bit more in Spain, but in the PL every mistake is there for all to see and gets punished far more frequently. Is it the pace of the PL that he's having trouble with?

Even in that last game I must admit I did see some good things from him. He made some good forward passes and good, powerful forward runs. But then he also gave the ball away on a nightmare level.
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby jayramfootball » Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:07 pm

Phil71 wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:

My thoughts entirely.

He's a bit of an enigma. In some games he has been unplayable - like last year against United. When he's at his best he really is a top, top player. World class. Then he has the worst performance possible - like this year against United!

He's not a kid, and at 28 you would expect to see some level of consistency. It's not only since he came to us either. I recall him having similar consistency issues at Athletico. I guess you can get away with it a bit more in Spain, but in the PL every mistake is there for all to see and gets punished far more frequently. Is it the pace of the PL that he's having trouble with?

Even in that last game I must admit I did see some good things from him. He made some good forward passes and good, powerful forward runs. But then he also gave the ball away on a nightmare level.

I think it is the pace of the PL.
He just doesn't have the decision making time he is used to in Spain and right now he hasn't shown he can adapt.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby theHotHead » Mon Dec 06, 2021 2:18 pm

He has looked good in some games so I don't think it has anything to do with a loss of decision making time, I just think he has been very sloppy on the ball.
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby jayramfootball » Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:00 pm

Partey told Sky Sports News:
"I give myself four [out of 10], because there are moments I can really hurt the other team but there are also moments where I allow myself to lose focus and that's when everything goes down.
"This is when you realise that you have to get better."

At least he understands what he has done is not good enough and accepts personal responsibility for it.
He's not looking to blame team mates or the manager - that is good from a character point of view.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Santi » Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:23 pm

Still embarrassing that he knows he can lose focus, it's not like Utd was the first time. Agree it's good he takes responsibility but the real way to take and accept responsibility is to fix it.
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby thebigbangtheo » Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:33 pm

Will the real Thomas Partey please stand up, please stand up, please stand up. Time to establish the silly talk as exactly that and open that can of whup ass on the Premier League, Waterboy style (or maybe even his momma)!
thebigbangtheo
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby ag6789 » Mon Dec 06, 2021 4:08 pm

He won't stand up, not at 29. It is a lose lose situation. Cut our losses and move on. Look for a proper CM in January.
Our bad luck w/ midfielders continue... Shits Creek....
ag6789
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby theHotHead » Mon Dec 06, 2021 4:28 pm

I see it as sloppiness on the ball, I mean some of his mistakes you wonder how he is even a pro.

When I played football the ball was your missus, you never gave it away and you protected it with your life. Considering how strong he is and looking at times he has lost the ball it can only be down to him switching off and that's a worry. At least he knows what the problem is so he can fix it.
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby Phil71 » Mon Dec 06, 2021 4:31 pm

Santi wrote:Still embarrassing that he knows he can lose focus, it's not like Utd was the first time. Agree it's good he takes responsibility but the real way to take and accept responsibility is to fix it.

Yeah I agree. I'm not a fan at all of footballers coming out on social media or whatever and saying sorry for playing shit. It fucks me off.

Just don't play shit. How about that?
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby themessiah » Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:09 pm

doucoure absolutely dominated Him lol
Image Image
themessiah
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Ach » Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:12 pm

themessiah wrote:doucoure absolutely dominated Him lol

Bought the wrong one

Doucoure dominated the midfield
Ach
SE13
SE13

Postby jayramfootball » Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:14 pm

Ach wrote:

Bought the wrong one

lol DoUcOUre was dogshit.
He has been all through Everton’s nightmare run.
We have to replace Partey clearly, but not with a donkey like DoUcOUre.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Ach » Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:17 pm

jayramfootball wrote:
Ach wrote:

Bought the wrong one

lol DoUcOUre was dogshit.
He has been all through Everton’s nightmare run.
We have to replace Partey clearly, but not with a donkey like DoUcOUre.

:rofll:

He's been injured for most of it

:rofll:
Ach
SE13
SE13

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk