Thomas Partey (5)

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: Thomas Partey (5)

Postby ag6789 » Tue Oct 19, 2021 3:13 pm

He needs a better DM to operate, which we don't have. Also ,La Liga is vastly different from PL. Anyway, he has been sub par at Arsenal so far.
Currently, we could improve by playing either White or Mari next to him and put Holding back w/ Gabby.
Lokonga doesn't seem to be a good fit beside Partey, and our defense needs better cover, and both BW and Mari are decent ball players; so it is not a bad idea, to use one of them. Elneny doesn't seem to be the answer as he has been tried in the role w/very moderate success,and he isn't getting any younger.
Perhaps in near future we will get a quality CM who'll solve these problems in transition as well as cover.
ag6789
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Power n Glory » Tue Oct 19, 2021 3:35 pm

He has had some dreadful games and hasn’t quite bossed the midfield yet. Seems like a bit of both. The system and player. It's the sloppiness and lack of awareness I can't excuse because the mistake he made was Xhaka like.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby theHotHead » Tue Oct 19, 2021 3:55 pm

Highbury Hillbilly wrote:
Reiss wrote:
I agree and Partey was one of the best central midfielders in the world before joining us.

The system is all wrong and he also doesn't have a suitable partner alongside him. It leaves him exposed in a flawed system.

You could put Kante in this team and he'd be ineffective.

He absolutely was not. Saul's release clause is £150m. Partey's was a third of that.

Even then, we were the only club to actually trigger it. Other clubs didn't bother.

And he left Athletico because he was under-valued.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby jayramfootball » Tue Oct 19, 2021 6:33 pm

theHotHead wrote:
Highbury Hillbilly wrote:
Reiss wrote:
I agree and Partey was one of the best central midfielders in the world before joining us.

The system is all wrong and he also doesn't have a suitable partner alongside him. It leaves him exposed in a flawed system.

You could put Kante in this team and he'd be ineffective.

He absolutely was not. Saul's release clause is £150m. Partey's was a third of that.

Even then, we were the only club to actually trigger it. Other clubs didn't bother.

And he left Athletico because he was under-valued.

HH, he's been a disappointment so far.
He can't get up to speed with the pace of the PL.
He's going to need to show intelligence. Right now he is not. You don't dawdle on the ball in the PL and you don't let the ball run across your body without knowing what is behind you - especially not in the position he was in last night when he lost the ball.
He is doing both things too often and does not seem to be learning.
He's not a kid, he's 28.

Even in schoolboy football you learn that you must have an idea of what you are going to do with the ball BEFORE you receive it.
Partey seems to be working it out as he goes along. You can almost see his brain ticking over trying to decide what to do when he has it.
Add to that he's really weak. We thought we were buying a beast but he's no upper body strength to hold off opponents.

He's got a LOT of work to do.
He can look good - we've seen it - but he needs to be able to do it week in week out... he's one of the senior players in the middle of the pitch, where a bad game means trouble for the whole team.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Dejan » Tue Oct 19, 2021 6:57 pm

Dejan wrote:
Dejan wrote:tbh its been a year and I still dont know what to think about this fella

^

^
Rest in Peace SE13 :(
Dejan
SE13
SE13

Postby Ach » Tue Oct 19, 2021 7:04 pm

Dejan wrote:
Dejan wrote:
Dejan wrote:tbh its been a year and I still dont know what to think about this fella

^

^

Let me help

He's a bit shit
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby theHotHead » Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:48 am

Agreed, the boy is quality, we have seen it so I don't know why people are acting like they don't know. Yes his performances have not been consistently high, but to suggest he isn't a high calibre player is nonsense. Factors contributing to his inconsistency, injury, shit no settled system, a manager that is a bit of a dufus, an attack that isn't functioning.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby EliteKiller » Wed Oct 20, 2021 11:04 am

theHotHead wrote:Agreed, the boy is quality, we have seen it so I don't know why people are acting like they don't know. Yes his performances have not been consistently high, but to suggest he isn't a high calibre player is nonsense. Factors contributing to his inconsistency, injury, shit no settled system, a manager that is a bit of a dufus, an attack that isn't functioning.

Whilst I agree with most of that Partey is not a spotty teenager not even an early twenties more money than sense player - he's 28 and played nearly 300 games ... when we payed his £45 million release clause I thought - here we go, an experienced player who will get to grips with the defensive midfield and bring the best out of those alongside him - for 45m I was expecting a Kante, Fabinho, Ndidi type player - so far he looks more like the spotty teenager, he looks rushed, makes poor choices, and barely communicates with his junior teammates ... he really needs to step up or move on and be replaced by someone better, there clearly is a talented player in there, we simply don't have time to develop 28 year olds.
EliteKiller
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Arsenal Tone » Thu Oct 21, 2021 5:18 am

EliteKiller wrote:
theHotHead wrote:Agreed, the boy is quality, we have seen it so I don't know why people are acting like they don't know. Yes his performances have not been consistently high, but to suggest he isn't a high calibre player is nonsense. Factors contributing to his inconsistency, injury, shit no settled system, a manager that is a bit of a dufus, an attack that isn't functioning.

Whilst I agree with most of that Partey is not a spotty teenager not even an early twenties more money than sense player - he's 28 and played nearly 300 games ... when we payed his £45 million release clause I thought - here we go, an experienced player who will get to grips with the defensive midfield and bring the best out of those alongside him - for 45m I was expecting a Kante, Fabinho, Ndidi type player - so far he looks more like the spotty teenager, he looks rushed, makes poor choices, and barely communicates with his junior teammates ... he really needs to step up or move on and be replaced by someone better, there clearly is a talented player in there, we simply don't have time to develop 28 year olds.
The problem is he's not a DM. He isn't a 'sit in front of the back four' type. He's not a Gilberto, he's a Vieira.
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby EliteKiller » Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:16 am

Arsenal Tone wrote:The problem is he's not a DM. He isn't a 'sit in front of the back four' type. He's not a Gilberto, he's a Vieira.

Vieira was one of those player who however much the opposition tried to get at him always found time and space - almost the opposite to Partey who was 'got at' by bloody Crystal Palace.

He may not be a DM (although that's why we bought him) but he's not even close to a Vieira.
EliteKiller
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Arsenal Tone » Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:43 am

EliteKiller wrote:
Arsenal Tone wrote:The problem is he's not a DM. He isn't a 'sit in front of the back four' type. He's not a Gilberto, he's a Vieira.

Vieira was one of those player who however much the opposition tried to get at him always found time and space - almost the opposite to Partey who was 'got at' by bloody Crystal Palace.

He may not be a DM (although that's why we bought him) but he's not even close to a Vieira.
Maybe not quality wise, but in terms of his position. He's a box to box midfielder who because he's big everyone calls a DM.

He's struggling for the same reason Vieira and Fabregas didn't work together.

Our next signing should be a DM and a lot of research needs to be done with our scouting team to find someone who'd work best with Partey.

I think we bought White to help Gabriel, I think that's why we bought him over cheaper in options who seem better on paper but have different qualities. I'm hopeful we'll do the same in our search for a midfielder. Maybe that's why Reuben Neves was linked in the summer despite seeming like a strange target.
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby Santi » Thu Oct 21, 2021 12:36 pm

f**k sake we don't need a DM, Partey shouldn't have been signed if that wasn't his job. We need more creativity in the middle, Odegaard isn't good enough really so don't get why we signed him but we need a CM who can move the f***ing ball forwards and not shit himself getting closed down.

Give me 34 year old Fabregas at this point or Cazorla back, f***ing hell.
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby EliteKiller » Thu Oct 21, 2021 1:07 pm

Arsenal Tone wrote:Maybe not quality wise, but in terms of his position. He's a box to box midfielder who because he's big everyone calls a DM.

He's struggling for the same reason Vieira and Fabregas didn't work together.

Our next signing should be a DM and a lot of research needs to be done with our scouting team to find someone who'd work best with Partey.

I think we bought White to help Gabriel, I think that's why we bought him over cheaper in options who seem better on paper but have different qualities. I'm hopeful we'll do the same in our search for a midfielder. Maybe that's why Reuben Neves was linked in the summer despite seeming like a strange target.

Whilst you may be right how insane is that .... we sign a 50m player to do a job he can't do, now we need to sign another 50m player to cover for the first player .... and so it goes on.
EliteKiller
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby theHotHead » Thu Oct 21, 2021 1:15 pm

EliteKiller wrote:

You say thats why we bought him, but I don't think we did, why buy Lokonga ?

Vieira had Petit and Gilberto holding, in the Palace game Partey had nobody. if you don't give the player the environment he needs to perform he can't perform.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby Power n Glory » Thu Oct 21, 2021 1:18 pm

Arsenal new boy Partey: I want to attack like Yaya and defend like Essien

"I like to be both defensive and offensive. I know whenever I am in the opposite area, I have chances for a goal and I think defensively, I want to be stronger,” he told Sky Sports.

"I want to attack like Yaya Toure and defend like Michael Essien so to have both qualities is good.

"Whenever there is a serious game, or in any game, I like to go with surprises. Most people see me as a defensive midfielder but with my intelligence and how I read the game, if we're near the end of the game and we're going to finish with 2-0, that's when I go for my goal.

"Playing in the midfield, you have to be mentally quick and be intelligent in how you position yourself and get the ball.

"Mikel [Arteta] is helping me a lot because we always have the ball so you have time to think and position yourself and I think with time, I'll get used to everything and most things will come after that. I think everybody will know and we'll see what will happen."

"Simeone has helped me a lot. Before, I was just a good player but then he spoke to me and said: 'If you want to be among the best, you have to be the best. Every good player is good offensively but not all players are good defensively', so he gave me that," he said.

"This is what we [at Arsenal] are working on [defensive qualities as a midfielder]. I only arrived three weeks ago and I think at the moment, I'm adapting with the positioning and after that, I'll continue working hard on how to move freely.

"You don't always have to be positioned as the coach said, you have to be free and create spaces because you are on the field and know what is going to happen. With confidence and understanding your team-mates, you'll be able to put all of that into the game."

Part in bold stood. Seems more like a 'trust the process' type of statement, :sleepy:
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk