Thomas Partey (5)

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: Thomas Partey (5)

Postby jayramfootball » Sat Dec 04, 2021 12:02 am

Reiss wrote:We lack real leaders in this team which is further compounded by the fact that we have a team full of youngsters.

Youngsters need leaders to look up to... players that can take charge during a game and command youngsters when we are 1-0 up for example. Instead, our senior players are shy and timid.

Our 50m centre back isn't commanding. He's quiet as a mouse.
Partey is a shy, timid central midfielder.
Auba is a leader that tries to inspire by example instead of command. I never see him instruct.

This means the young players have to figure things out themselves during games.

That is such a cliche.
Totally untrue.
Leaders can be any age.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Nuggets » Sat Dec 04, 2021 7:01 am

jayramfootball wrote:
Reiss wrote:We lack real leaders in this team which is further compounded by the fact that we have a team full of youngsters.

Youngsters need leaders to look up to... players that can take charge during a game and command youngsters when we are 1-0 up for example. Instead, our senior players are shy and timid.

Auba is a leader that tries to inspire by example instead of command. I never see him instruct.

That is such a cliche.
Totally untrue.
Leaders can be any age.

But we still don't have any lol I think that's the point he is trying to make.
Nuggets
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner

Postby Goonerz » Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:44 am

But some label this Partey guy as some beast World Class CM..
From his first few games last season I was like “What the hell?”. His poor passing, poor shooting and lack of positional awareness stood out for me straight away.

And again, it looks like we over spent on another overrated, overhyped “Youtube clip” type of world beater.

No wonder wenger was always nervous about signing these so called big name / big money players..
New Day, New Era, New Start. Come On You The Arsenal.
Goonerz
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby theHotHead » Sat Dec 04, 2021 10:09 am

The only leaders I see are Gabriel and Tierney, I don't see anyone else being vocal.

The importance of having vocal leaders on the pitch is underestimated, its when the going gets tough the leaders pull everyone through.
Last edited by theHotHead on Sat Dec 04, 2021 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby theHotHead » Sat Dec 04, 2021 10:10 am

Goonerz wrote:But some label this Partey guy as some beast World Class CM..
From his first few games last season I was like “What the hell?”. His poor passing, poor shooting and lack of positional awareness stood out for me straight away.

And again, it looks like we over spent on another overrated, overhyped “Youtube clip” type of world beater.

No wonder wenger was always nervous about signing these so called big name / big money players..

He was world class at Athletico, he has been poor at Arsenal., It has nothing to do with YouTube clips
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby Santi » Sat Dec 04, 2021 1:43 pm

Gabriel is a leader, you can 100% see that in defence. He may not be the most vocal but he has definitely taken on the responsibility.
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby Santi » Sat Dec 04, 2021 1:45 pm

theHotHead wrote:

He was world class at Athletico, he has been poor at Arsenal., It has nothing to do with YouTube clips

No it has all to do with how defensively Atletico set up and the different pace/style of the leagues.

Let's also face it, he wasn't really world class, nobody was screaming or even mentioning his name before we were linked with him.

He's just turned out dogshit here, you can see flashes of what he can do (he actually pinged an incredible ball to Tomi vs Utd for one of the goals) but he's too lazy and too sloppy for the most part.

The big problem with him is that he's far too easy to play around and then he's useless when running back towards his goal - he ambles back like he's got a 12 foot dick weighing him down and then doesn't press the man either. Once you're around him (quite easy cos he plays too high up) he's often out of the entire game until a restart.
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby Rockape » Sat Dec 04, 2021 5:02 pm

:rofll: Santi is obviously feeling better!
Rockape
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Goonerz » Sun Dec 05, 2021 7:48 am

Santi wrote:
theHotHead wrote:

No it has all to do with how defensively Atletico set up and the different pace/style of the leagues.

Let's also face it, he wasn't really world class, nobody was screaming or even mentioning his name before we were linked with him.

He's just turned out dogshit here, you can see flashes of what he can do (he actually pinged an incredible ball to Tomi vs Utd for one of the goals) but he's too lazy and too sloppy for the most part.

The big problem with him is that he's far too easy to play around and then he's useless when running back towards his goal - he ambles back like he's got a 12 foot dick weighing him down and then doesn't press the man either. Once you're around him (quite easy cos he plays too high up) he's often out of the entire game until a restart.

This stood out for me in his first games last season. But I gave him the benefit of the doubt because it was his first season and he had just come back from injury. But it looks like that was the real Partey all along.
His recovery energy is jokes, always comes off as if he just finished running a 4 hour marathon and is running on empty.
He is turning 29 year old at the end of of the season.
I hope I am just being overreactive and too pessimistic.
Lets not have another underwhelming anti-climatic big money signing. We have had too many of them recently.
Goonerz
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby VCC » Sun Dec 05, 2021 8:02 am

He is still coming to terms with the league, not the first player to take time to settle, hopeful he will come good
VCC
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Goonerz » Sun Dec 05, 2021 8:51 am

theHotHead wrote:

You are too cutthroat in your analysis. Mostly not nuanced enough in your opinion. It’s too black and white.
Reality is very complicated and nuanced.
As I stated in the Lokonga thread, you continually stating that Partey was world class in Madrid is just your personal opinion. It’s not a Fact.

You think he was World Class.

I think he was just a good typical normal bread and butter midfielder. ALEX SONG level of talent.

Others might not have any specific opinion on him yet.
Etc.

It’s all personal opinions that are not objective Facts. What I care about is for him to play at a level that is deemed worthy of his £45 million, ££250,000 a week package.

HH, I think you know my stance by now when it comes to people glorifying, worshiping, overrating, overhyping and bigging up of underperforming big money players at Arsenal. That’s the number one thing that gets me off my seat. Their past lives away from Arsenal mean absolutely nothing to me as an Arsenal fan. What I care about is for them to earn their massive wages at my club and justify their transfer fee.

And this is the EPL, you hardly ever have an easy game. You have as many as 10 teams in the EPL each season that will alway give you a slog of a match. You might look like a world beater in a 2 to 3 team Spanish league or French league but in the EPL you have to turn up for more than 4 games per season. Nearly each game in the EPL are potential points to drop.

Partey has to earn the hype first here at Arsenal. Will judge him objectively like i do all our less rated/ less glamorous players. I will not use one criteria for certain much liked players (Partey etc) and a completely different criteria for less liked (Xhaka etc). Each player has got to earn their stripes first at Arsenal before I can start sugar talking them.
Goonerz
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Goonerz » Sun Dec 05, 2021 9:04 am

VCC wrote:He is still coming to terms with the league, not the first player to take time to settle, hopeful he will come good

We waited for Ozil to get settled in too.

Waited for Torreira to settle in.

Waited for Laca too. Still can’t play a full 90 minutes or enough games back to back.

Still waiting for Pepe to also get used and settle in. Been here since 2019.

Still waiting for Odegaard to also settle.

Now we have to wait for another season for Partey to settle. That will be about 3 seasons. He will be 29 year going onto 30 year of age, contract running out etc.
:think:
Goonerz
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby theHotHead » Sun Dec 05, 2021 11:05 am

I dunno what to say, I am very surprised by Partey's drop in level, very surprised. Maybe he feels he needs to do too much and is trying too hard and as a result is not doing anything well.

Your level doesn't fall so much in normal situations, I think he needs to stick to the basics, get them right and become a beast again then take it from there. But there is no defence to the way he loses the ball at times, they are like "what the f**k?!!" moments
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby jayramfootball » Sun Dec 05, 2021 12:25 pm

theHotHead wrote:I dunno what to say, I am very surprised by Partey's drop in level, very surprised. Maybe he feels he needs to do too much and is trying too hard and as a result is not doing anything well.

Your level doesn't fall so much in normal situations, I think he needs to stick to the basics, get them right and become a beast again then take it from there. But there is no defence to the way he loses the ball at times, they are like "what the f**k?!!" moments

TBH I don't think he has ever looked a 'beast' in the PL. In fact, he's looked weak and easy to shove off the ball.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby billie86 » Sun Dec 05, 2021 12:42 pm

Already looking like we need an upgrade on him, just get bissouma, Zakaria or kessie in and be done with it, any 2 of those 3 and our midfield is sorted for the next 5 years
billie86
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk