Thomas Partey (5)

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: Thomas Partey (18)

Postby Power n Glory » Sun Feb 07, 2021 11:30 am

Mitch wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
Mitch wrote:That would leave us way too open with ESR and Odegaard bombing forward.

If he plays Xhaka as the DM, yeah it will leave us a bit exposed but for some reason he's first choice. But being so conservative hasn't served us well. We concede anyway and don't have the attack to strike back. Also, all three in midfield should still have to work hard to defend. If Arteta says 4-3-3 is what he wants to play, he might as well teach them now instead of trying to readjust next season.

I think you're being dishonest in terms of us conceding, you're making it sound like we're wide open at the back like we were in the Wenger days which is not true. We've got the joint third best defence in the league this season and that's with our worst start in 40 years.

In terms of Xhaka, I think it's a case of not having much of a choice really. Elneny was given a chance alongside Partey but didn't take it, Ceballos is pretty useless. So it comes back to Xhaka. I think Mikel's aware that we need to find a partner for Partey, we were linked to Buendia in January so that's a good sign.

Dishonest with a simple factual statement? There isn't much sauce on 'we concede anyway'. It's a simple fact and you maybe thinking of an argument you've had with someone else. We lost one nil, right? Did we concede a goal? Did we score?

It doesn't matter whether it's one goal or three, it's a loss and we've lost more than we've won but haven't come away with many draws. I've said in the past that we look better defensively but it's the lack of goals that's really hurting us hence the argument to try and go for it more.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby starmandb » Sun Feb 07, 2021 11:57 am

Power n Glory wrote:
Mitch wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
Mitch wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
Mitch wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
Mitch wrote:It's clear he's not 100% fit but we keep insisting on playing him. Give him a rest for 2-3 weeks, give him a chance to recover properly, then bring him back in. Otherwise we risk a long term injury.

Wouldn't that also fall under Arteta's responsibility if he's not fully fit?

Without Partey we look a lot worse. We can't afford to drop points, that's the problem.

But isn’t that short term thinking? What if he now misses the next 4 or 5 games because we couldn't rest him for 1? If he isn't fully in the clear with his injury then we just have to manage it better. Maybe give him 60 minutes a game and sub him off.

It's a tough decision. I'm just pointing out why Arteta is playing him.

It's a tough call but fixtures are congested this year. There hasn't been a preseason because of Covid and he's new to the league. He picked up an injury scare vs Southampton and came off but came back to play against Utd and has played 3 games in a week. We're gonna crock a few more players at this rate.

Yep but the problem is our next option is Elneny.

Yep or Ceballos and neither really work in a double pivot with Xhaka as partner. Other option is to finally play the 4-3-3 he says he wants to play and go with Odegaard, Xhaka and ESR as the three.

Elneny and xhaka have played 1654 mins together
In those mins the team have scored 40 goals and conceded 17
starmandb
Member of the Year 2018, 2020

Postby Power n Glory » Sun Feb 07, 2021 12:06 pm

Mitch wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
Mitch wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
Mitch wrote:That would leave us way too open with ESR and Odegaard bombing forward.

If he plays Xhaka as the DM, yeah it will leave us a bit exposed but for some reason he's first choice. But being so conservative hasn't served us well. We concede anyway and don't have the attack to strike back. Also, all three in midfield should still have to work hard to defend. If Arteta says 4-3-3 is what he wants to play, he might as well teach them now instead of trying to readjust next season.

I think you're being dishonest in terms of us conceding, you're making it sound like we're wide open at the back like we were in the Wenger days which is not true. We've got the joint third best defence in the league this season and that's with our worst start in 40 years.

In terms of Xhaka, I think it's a case of not having much of a choice really. Elneny was given a chance alongside Partey but didn't take it, Ceballos is pretty useless. So it comes back to Xhaka. I think Mikel's aware that we need to find a partner for Partey, we were linked to Buendia in January so that's a good sign.

Dishonest with a simple factual statement? There isn't much sauce on 'we concede anyway'. It's a simple fact and you maybe thinking of an argument you've had with someone else. We lost one nil, right? Did we concede a goal? Did we score?

It doesn't matter whether it's one goal or three, it's a loss and we've lost more than we've won but haven't come away with many draws. I've said in the past that we look better defensively but it's the lack of goals that's really hurting us hence the argument to try and go for it more.

It's not factual though, is it? We have the third best defence in the league so why would you make it sound like we're wide open at the back and leaking goals? The leakage has stopped. The attack is the problem. The wording of your post was lazy and does nothing but serve the narrative of 'Arsenal are poor defensively' which is far from the case.

I think you're being overly sensitive over a very simple statement and short statemen. Have we or have we not lost games because we've conceded goals and haven't scored? That is factual. That doesn’t mean we're poor defensively. I haven’t said much about our defensive performance to you specifically for you to read that much into a short statement. Strange.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby starmandb » Sun Feb 07, 2021 12:19 pm

Power n Glory wrote:
Mitch wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
Mitch wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
Mitch wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
Mitch wrote:It's clear he's not 100% fit but we keep insisting on playing him. Give him a rest for 2-3 weeks, give him a chance to recover properly, then bring him back in. Otherwise we risk a long term injury.

Without Partey we look a lot worse. We can't afford to drop points, that's the problem.

But isn’t that short term thinking? What if he now misses the next 4 or 5 games because we couldn't rest him for 1? If he isn't fully in the clear with his injury then we just have to manage it better. Maybe give him 60 minutes a game and sub him off.

It's a tough call but fixtures are congested this year. There hasn't been a preseason because of Covid and he's new to the league. He picked up an injury scare vs Southampton and came off but came back to play against Utd and has played 3 games in a week. We're gonna crock a few more players at this rate.

Yep or Ceballos and neither really work in a double pivot with Xhaka as partner. Other option is to finally play the 4-3-3 he says he wants to play and go with Odegaard, Xhaka and ESR as the three.

starmandb

Postby Power n Glory » Sun Feb 07, 2021 12:33 pm

starmandb wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
Mitch wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
Mitch wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
Mitch wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:

That's not the record for this season under Arteta and current form. Most of that comes from the Wenger years. It's 3 wins and 3 losses this season.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby Power n Glory » Sun Feb 07, 2021 12:39 pm

Mitch wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
Mitch wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
Mitch wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:

It's not factual though, is it? We have the third best defence in the league so why would you make it sound like we're wide open at the back and leaking goals? The leakage has stopped. The attack is the problem. The wording of your post was lazy and does nothing but serve the narrative of 'Arsenal are poor defensively' which is far from the case.

I think you're being overly sensitive over a very simple statement and short statemen. Have we or have we not lost games because we've conceded goals and haven't scored? That is factual. That doesn’t mean we're poor defensively. I haven’t said much about our defensive performance to you specifically for you to read that much into a short statement. Strange.

Maybe I mis-understood then. It seemed that the lazy narrative of us leaking goals was being made.

I wasn't alluding to that at all. If so, I'd have been the one opposing a 4-3-3 with Odegaard and ESR because of exposure. I think Arteta has a done good job on the defence but as seen it can't win games and we can't keep every shot out. May have to release the famous handbrake.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby starmandb » Sun Feb 07, 2021 1:40 pm

Power n Glory wrote:
starmandb wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
Mitch wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
Mitch wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
Mitch wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:

That's not the record for this season under Arteta and current form. Most of that comes from the Wenger years. It's 3 wins and 3 losses this season.

Oops I missed 4 goals but it makes even better reading for elneny and xhaka
Under wenger
1304 mins
Scored 31 conceded 13
Under Emery
117 mins
Scored 2 conceded 0
Under arteta
505 mins
Scored 11 conceded 4
starmandb

Postby Power n Glory » Sun Feb 07, 2021 2:00 pm

starmandb wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
starmandb wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
Mitch wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
Mitch wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
Mitch wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:

Under wenger
1304 mins
Scored 31 conceded 13
Under Emery
117 mins
Scored 2 conceded 0
Under arteta
505 mins
Scored 11 conceded 4

Under Arteta this season? What games you counting for those numbers?

From 6 starts together I've got 8 goals scored and conceding 6.

Am I missing something?
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby Power n Glory » Sun Feb 07, 2021 2:22 pm

starmandb wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
starmandb wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
Mitch wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
Mitch wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
Mitch wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:

Under wenger
1304 mins
Scored 31 conceded 13
Under Emery
117 mins
Scored 2 conceded 0
Under arteta
505 mins
Scored 11 conceded 4

With the being said, what do the numbers say? Personally, I'm not a fan of the Elneny and Xhaka combo. Too rigid and not creative enough. But if your numbers are right and it's a successful partnership and I'm wrong, fair play. But doesn't that also mean maybe we could have given Partey a bit of rest and squad depth isn't as bad as precived?
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby starmandb » Sun Feb 07, 2021 2:25 pm

Power n Glory wrote:
starmandb wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
starmandb wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
Mitch wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
Mitch wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
Mitch wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:

Under wenger
1304 mins
Scored 31 conceded 13
Under Emery
117 mins
Scored 2 conceded 0
Under arteta
505 mins
Scored 11 conceded 4

Am I missing something?

Fulham a xhaka goes off 78 mins lead 3-0
Liverpool a xhaka off 60 mins losing 2-1
Dundalk h xhaka off 74 mins 3-0
Burnley h xhaka sent off 56 mins 0-0
Chelsea h 90 mins w 3-1
Brighton a 99 mins w 1-0
Southampton a fa cup elneny off 57 mins losing 1-0
starmandb

Postby Power n Glory » Sun Feb 07, 2021 2:42 pm

starmandb wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
starmandb wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
starmandb wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
Mitch wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
Mitch wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
Mitch wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:

Under wenger
1304 mins
Scored 31 conceded 13
Under Emery
117 mins
Scored 2 conceded 0
Under arteta
505 mins
Scored 11 conceded 4

Am I missing something?

Chelsea h 90 mins w 3-1
Brighton a 99 mins w 1-0

I'm counting starts together because that usually dictates the pace and flow of the game. Reason being, Xhaka didn't start against Dundalk and we were already 3 goals up by the tune he came on late in the 2nd half.

Also, we lost 1 nil to Burnley and trying to discount the fact that Xhaka was sent off and we lost the game is very misleading and cheeky.

Similar to the 3-1 loss to Liverpool which you're counting as 2-1. We conceded a 3rd goal and even though Xhaka was subbed off when we conceded, his start along with Elneny can't be ignored because our first half would have contributed to us having to chase the game in the 2nd half.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby Power n Glory » Sun Feb 07, 2021 2:57 pm

That's quite cheeky. So you're counting goals that Xhaka wouldn't have had any involvement in, but discounting goals conceded that he'd have an influence on? Burnley especially? That's not cool.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby starmandb » Sun Feb 07, 2021 3:43 pm

Power n Glory wrote:
starmandb wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
starmandb wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
starmandb wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
Mitch wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
Mitch wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
Mitch wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:

Under wenger
1304 mins
Scored 31 conceded 13
Under Emery
117 mins
Scored 2 conceded 0
Under arteta
505 mins
Scored 11 conceded 4

Am I missing something?

Chelsea h 90 mins w 3-1
Brighton a 99 mins w 1-0

I'm counting starts together because that usually dictates the pace and flow of the game. Reason being, Xhaka didn't start against Dundalk and we were already 3 goals up by the tune he came on late in the 2nd half.

Also, we lost 1 nil to Burnley and trying to discount the fact that Xhaka was sent off and we lost the game is very misleading and cheeky.

Similar to the 3-1 loss to Liverpool which you're counting as 2-1. We conceded a 3rd goal and even though Xhaka was subbed off when we conceded, his start along with Elneny can't be ignored because our first half would have contributed to us having to chase the game in the 2nd half.

Xhaka started against Dundalk and we were 3-0 up on 74 mins when he went off
I have included goals scored and conceded when they were on the pitch together
I had no intention of being cheeky
Just posted something that showed 2 arsenal players in a good light
starmandb

Postby Power n Glory » Sun Feb 07, 2021 3:58 pm

starmandb wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
starmandb wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
starmandb wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
starmandb wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
Mitch wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
Mitch wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
Mitch wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:

Under wenger
1304 mins
Scored 31 conceded 13
Under Emery
117 mins
Scored 2 conceded 0
Under arteta
505 mins
Scored 11 conceded 4

Am I missing something?

Chelsea h 90 mins w 3-1
Brighton a 99 mins w 1-0

Xhaka started against Dundalk and we were 3-0 up on 74 mins when he went off
I have included goals scored and conceded when they were on the pitch together
I had no intention of being cheeky
Just posted something that showed 2 arsenal players in a good light

Ahh, you're right about Dundalk. My bad. I'm not looking at midfield pairings and Xhaka was filling in for CB.

But that doesn't explain Burnley where Xhaka was sent off and Liverpool. It's not totally honest and true representation of what happened which is quite cheeky regardless of intention. I could be wrong.

But either way, what do the numbers tell you? I come back to the point made about squad depth and Partey. If you believe the combination is a positive one, doesn't that highlight we can indeed rest Partey and squad depth isn't that bad? I wouldn't argue that but if you believe they've been good together it shows a bit of squad depth and that Partey could have been rested.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby starmandb » Sun Feb 07, 2021 5:16 pm

I believe that the squad is god always
When I posted the games they had played in I stated that xhaka had been sent off v Burnley
It was out there for information to be interpreted as people wished
starmandb

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk