Arteta vs Ancelotti vs Mourinho

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Who would you prefer?

Arteta
62%
Ancelotti
38%

Total votes : 42

Re: Arteta vs Ancelotti vs Mourinho

Postby LMAO » Tue Dec 22, 2020 6:55 pm

Özim wrote:
LMAO wrote:
Dejan wrote:
LMAO wrote:
Özim wrote:Anyone care to explain their decision to pick Arteta over Ancelotti and the basis for this, I’d be very interested?

Go back to when the hires were made.

Ancelotti was coming off two underperformances at Bayern and Napoli. His Bayern got smacked by Madrid and his protégé (albeit one of the best club sides of all-time in fairness) in the quarters of the CL, and his Napoli failed to advance from their CL group and lost to Emery's Arsenal in the quarters of the EL. For a cup manager, it wasn't looking pretty. Also, Napoli went from finishing 4 points off Juve to finishing 11 points behind.

Arteta had a blank slate. It was high-risk, high-reward.
High reward based on what? A good interview?

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G935F met Tapatalk

"a blank slate"

Said when Arteta was hired that it could go great and we could have the next hotshot manager who takes Arsenal back to the top of the mountain (the high-reward part), or it could be a dumpster fire due to his inexperience (the high-risk part).

Probability would suggest the latter was much much much more likely, this is no different to deciding to give Xhaka the job (if he’d done his badges), there’s zero evidence he’s qualified, it’s basically a stab in the dark in the hope we by some miracle stumble upon someone decent.

Yes, but remember your question was about Arteta versus Ancelotti, and at the time of hire, Ancelotti looked like expired goods. So may as well take the risk that the new guy can produce instead of going with someone who looked to be on the decline.

I said when Arteta was hired that he wasn't my first (or fifth) choice, but if we went back and had to make that gamble again based on the information available (tabula rasa Arteta or past it Ancelotti), then I'd take Arteta 10/10 times.
LMAO
Member of the Year 2019
Member of the Year 2019

Postby Santi » Tue Dec 22, 2020 8:40 pm

Ancelotti is still expired goods btw. Everton haven't done much special, they made good transfers more than anything and have a remotely balanced squad in a weird league season.

He may not be as bad or as much of a dinosaur as we thought, but he's working with low rep personalities at Everton who would respect his history, our lot would be laughing him out of training like the Bayern lot. Note his lack of clean sheets as well.

one thing hes done good is work on DCL being a better poacher and box striker.
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby KG3 » Tue Dec 22, 2020 9:35 pm

Santi wrote:Ancelotti is still expired goods btw. Everton haven't done much special, they made good transfers more than anything and have a remotely balanced squad in a weird league season.

He may not be as bad or as much of a dinosaur as we thought, but he's working with low rep personalities at Everton who would respect his history, our lot would be laughing him out of training like the Bayern lot. Note his lack of clean sheets as well.

one thing hes done good is work on DCL being a better poacher and box striker.

Have you seen what he’s done with DCL? That guy was as useless as Nketaih before Ancelotti came in that’s what a world class manager does bring players up another level

You’re being harsh on the defensive thing on paper they have terrible defenders worse than ours, only so much you can do, even Jose would struggle to keep clean sheets with them.
KG3
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Santi » Tue Dec 22, 2020 9:36 pm

yes mentioned his work with DCL, done a good job on that for sure. Player was trash.

defensively they've spent about 150m on players and still can't keep clean sheets, I agree their defenders are pretty shit (digne aside) but that's their own making and he should accommodate for it as well.
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby KG3 » Tue Dec 22, 2020 9:50 pm

Which idiot honestly thought it would be a good idea to hire someone who’s never managed a team before?

Lampard and OGS may have been inexperienced but they both had previous managerial experience with other clubs, the only experience Arteta has before this was picking up Peps cones in training.
KG3
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby LMAO » Mon Dec 28, 2020 6:18 am

Dejan wrote:
LMAO wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
Ach wrote:Don't think anyone seriously wanted Arteta over Jose.

Would be ludicrous if anyone did

Yes, quite a few folks.

Hi.

4 shots, 2 on target

That's not sustainable.

This is some weird post tbh. You are picking out ONE game where they duck in, scored, and won. And then its not sustainable, while completely ignoring that they have, after chelsea, the highest goals scored in the league and the lowest goals conceded

Hi.

Tottenham's scoring efficiency (goals/shots on target) through 9 games when I made the original comment: 44.7%*
Tottenham's scoring efficiency since that City game: 27.8%
Total after 15 games: 39.4%

As I said, it's not sustainable. They're now tied for 5th most goals scored in the league. And not relevant to my original post, but they also no longer have the fewest goals conceded.

*Over an entire season, that would best every one of the best league teams in the top leagues over the past decade, and Spurs aren't anywhere near that good.
LMAO
Member of the Year 2019
Member of the Year 2019

Postby Dejan » Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:36 am

LMAO wrote:
Dejan wrote:
LMAO wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:

Yes, quite a few folks.

Hi.

4 shots, 2 on target

That's not sustainable.

This is some weird post tbh. You are picking out ONE game where they duck in, scored, and won. And then its not sustainable, while completely ignoring that they have, after chelsea, the highest goals scored in the league and the lowest goals conceded

Hi.

Tottenham's scoring efficiency (goals/shots on target) through 9 games when I made the original comment: 44.7%*

As I said, it's not sustainable. They're now tied for 5th most goals scored in the league. And not relevant to my original post, but they also no longer have the fewest goals conceded.

*Over an entire season, that would best every one of the best league teams in the top leagues over the past decade, and Spurs aren't anywhere near that good.

Your comparisons are off. In the initial post you mentioned that in 1 game against liverpool they had 4 shots and 2 on target and mentioning its not sustainable. Sure, thats not sustainable if it happends every match, but it wasnt. It was against liverpool only. That was my point.
Rest in Peace SE13 :(
Dejan
SE13
SE13

Postby theHotHead » Mon Dec 28, 2020 10:42 am

Everyone seems to forget that before Pep got the Barcelona job he was managing the Barca B team, who thinks that gave him the knowledge and experience required to manage the Barca team??

Exactly! So experience isn't an indicator of everything, its easy to say no experience = can't do the job but in reality thats not the case a lot of the time, if it was we wouldn't have seen the fairytale careers of Ian Wright, Les Ferdinand and Jamie Vardy in the top flight.

In hindsight I was wrong about Arteta but I gave him a chance and backed him and I don't regret it and would do it again given the same scenario.
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby LMAO » Mon Dec 28, 2020 6:51 pm

Dejan wrote:
LMAO wrote:
Dejan wrote:
LMAO wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:

Yes, quite a few folks.

Hi.

4 shots, 2 on target

That's not sustainable.

Hi.

Your comparisons are off. In the initial post you mentioned that in 1 game against liverpool they had 4 shots and 2 on target and mentioning its not sustainable. Sure, thats not sustainable if it happends every match, but it wasnt. It was against liverpool only. That was my point.

Not Liverpool, it was against City when Spurs won 2-0 and everyone and their mom was bigging up Mourinho as if Spurs had turned a corner and were going to be league contenders.

Part of my claim you cut off in your initial reply was:
Like Emery was and Arteta has been bailed out by Auba, Mourinho is being bailed out by Son.

But yes, let's crown Mourinho after 9 games. Who cares about the next 29?

At that point, Son had scored 10 goals in 9 games. Since then, he's only managed 2 goals in 6 games, and not coincidentally, Spurs' form has taken a downturn with Son not activating god-mode for his finishing because he was largely carrying them in the early part of the season, where Spurs overperformed.

The part you omitted was more than me just looking at the City game in isolation. My bad if that wasn't clear.
LMAO
Member of the Year 2019
Member of the Year 2019

Postby Dejan » Mon Dec 28, 2020 6:57 pm

LMAO wrote:
Dejan wrote:
LMAO wrote:
Dejan wrote:
LMAO wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:

Yes, quite a few folks.

Hi.

4 shots, 2 on target

That's not sustainable.

Hi.

Not Liverpool, it was against City when Spurs won 2-0 and everyone and their mom was bigging up Mourinho as if Spurs had turned a corner and were going to be league contenders.

Part of my claim you cut off in your initial reply was:
Like Emery was and Arteta has been bailed out by Auba, Mourinho is being bailed out by Son.

But yes, let's crown Mourinho after 9 games. Who cares about the next 29?

At that point, Son had scored 10 goals in 9 games. Since then, he's only managed 2 goals in 6 games, and not coincidentally, Spurs' form has taken a downturn with Son not activating god-mode for his finishing because he was largely carrying them in the early part of the season, where Spurs overperformed.

The part you omitted was more than me just looking at the City game in isolation. My bad if that wasn't clear.
No worries

I still think they will get top 3 quite comfortably.

Rest in Peace SE13 :(
Dejan
SE13
SE13

Postby Salibatelli » Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:36 pm

I think we can revisit this again, Ancelotti is really outperforming Arteta (many of us wanted him).

Even Mourinho who has had a really bad run recently is still outperforming him as well.

Both started with their teams lower in the league when they took over.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby Santi » Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:38 pm

How are they outperforming when both have better squads?

Everton's transfer team outperformed ours, that's about it.
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby Salibatelli » Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:48 pm

They don’t, Everton’s squad certainly isn’t better than ours.

If anything Arteta is underperforming, midtable isn’t an acceptable result this season, he should be doing a whole lot better like Ancelotti is at Everton.

People make excuses for Arteta as if the guy has been dished out a raw deal, he hasn’t, he’s made a pigs war of his opportunity, an opportunity he was very very lucky to get in the 1st place.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby Phil71 » Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:52 pm

Özim wrote:I think we can revisit this again, Ancelotti is really outperforming Arteta (many of us wanted him).

Even Mourinho who has had a really bad run recently is still outperforming him as well.

Both started with their teams lower in the league when they took over.

Who did you vote for?
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby Ach » Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:00 pm

The 20 looool
Ach
SE13
SE13

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk