Arteta vs Ancelotti vs Mourinho

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Who would you prefer?

Arteta
57%
Ancelotti
43%

Total votes : 46

Re: Arteta vs Ancelotti vs Mourinho

Postby Power n Glory » Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:09 pm

:lipssealed: :frogwink:
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby starmandb » Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:14 pm

Özim wrote:They don’t, Everton’s squad certainly isn’t better than ours.

If anything Arteta is underperforming, midtable isn’t an acceptable result this season, he should be doing a whole lot better like Ancelotti is at Everton.

People make excuses for Arteta as if the guy has been dished out a raw deal, he hasn’t, he’s made a pigs war of his opportunity, an opportunity he was very very lucky to get in the 1st place.

I agree Everton do not have a better squad than us
Personally I would have appointed Ancelotti in October 2011 when we had Brady and he had been sacked by Chelsea
starmandb
Member of the Year 2018, 2020

Postby Salibatelli » Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:16 pm

I think Ancelotti is building something and there’s certainly signs of progress there.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby Salibatelli » Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:18 pm

Phil71 wrote:
Özim wrote:I think we can revisit this again, Ancelotti is really outperforming Arteta (many of us wanted him).

Even Mourinho who has had a really bad run recently is still outperforming him as well.

Both started with their teams lower in the league when they took over.

Who did you vote for?

Depends, do I get a badge if I voted for Arteta?
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:20 pm

Santi wrote:How are they outperforming when both have better squads?

Everton's transfer team outperformed ours, that's about it.

How on earth does Everton have a better squad when Iwobi is starting almost every game?

They are Top 4 because they have won more and lost fewer games than us. That comes down to the manager, and not individual talent like DCL.
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby starmandb » Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:23 pm

theHotHead wrote:Everyone seems to forget that before Pep got the Barcelona job he was managing the Barca B team, who thinks that gave him the knowledge and experience required to manage the Barca team??

Exactly! So experience isn't an indicator of everything, its easy to say no experience = can't do the job but in reality thats not the case a lot of the time, if it was we wouldn't have seen the fairytale careers of Ian Wright, Les Ferdinand and Jamie Vardy in the top flight.

In hindsight I was wrong about Arteta but I gave him a chance and backed him and I don't regret it and would do it again given the same scenario.

Hear hear
I have my doubts he is the right man but I can see why he was appointed
He should stand and fall on results and moving in the right direction
The first he has been below par on and the later the jury is well and truelly out
Getting glimpses of good but some shocking bads as well
It’s a worry that he is getting married to things that are not working
It’s good to see organisation at his best but sometimes the rigidity is stifling creativity
If he doesn’t get the balance he must go
It,s a hard nosed results based sport
I don’t believe we will sleepwalk as we did under wenger so long but there must be pressure on all concerned to perform
That is what top level sport demands
Piss or get off the pot
starmandb

Postby Phil71 » Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:29 pm

Özim wrote:
Phil71 wrote:
Özim wrote:I think we can revisit this again, Ancelotti is really outperforming Arteta (many of us wanted him).

Even Mourinho who has had a really bad run recently is still outperforming him as well.

Who did you vote for?

If it was Hitler vs Arteta old Adolf would get your vote all day long.
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby theHotHead » Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:14 pm

Oh Santi, purleeeease, allow the "they have better squads than us" argument I beg you. (Allow it for the uninitiated means leave/forget it)

Everton most certainly didn't and most certainly don't have a better squad than us !

Spurs with Poch had a better TEAM than us, but their team now is nothing special. Who would you take from the Spurs current squad to start at Arsenal ? Kane and Son, thats yer lot. You might take Bale too because he is still quality:
Lloris, Doherty, Sissoko, Sanchez, Davies, Alderweireld, Ndombele, Moura, Hojbjerg, Kane, Lamela, Alli, Son, Bale, Winks, Aurier, Bergwijn, Dier, Winks, Vinicius, Lo Celso.

I wouldn't take any of the others because I don't think they are an upgrade on what they have. Spurs would absolutely take Auba, Partey, Tierney, Saka and Leno is better than Lloris.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby theHotHead » Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:20 pm

I was quite vocal against Ancelotti, I thought he was a cheque-book manager, a manager that could only manage at the biggest clubs with the biggest budgets, but he has proved me wrong. What he has done with DCL is a frikkin miracle, DCL was one of the most useless strikers in the Prem, now he is performing week in week out like he is one of the best. Dunno what Ancelotti has done, but its a bloody miracle I tell you.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby Santi » Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:46 pm

aniym wrote:

How on earth does Everton have a better squad when Iwobi is starting almost every game?

They are Top 4 because they have won more and lost fewer games than us. That comes down to the manager, and not individual talent like DCL.

They have a 10x better midfield which is the crucial point. People really think we have a more balanced squad than Everton?

Also Iwobi has started 13 games, half of their PL games but yeah almost every game. For the most part he’s been no worse than Pepe either, who btw has started 10 games for us in the PL.
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby Ach » Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:51 pm

Ancelotti came in, saw Everton's weakness and bought 3 players for that midfield that walk in to our team.

Arteta came in, saw our weakness and destroyed us offensively to improve us defensively which overall meant we didn't improve at all.
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby Nuggets » Fri Mar 05, 2021 8:11 am

Phil71 wrote:
Özim wrote:
Phil71 wrote:

Who did you vote for?

If it was Hitler vs Arteta old Adolf would get your vote all day long.

...and mine lol :arse fan:
Nuggets
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner

Postby Salibatelli » Fri Mar 05, 2021 8:43 am

Santi wrote:
aniym wrote:

They have a 10x better midfield which is the crucial point. People really think we have a more balanced squad than Everton?

Also Iwobi has started 13 games, half of their PL games but yeah almost every game. For the most part he’s been no worse than Pepe either, who btw has started 10 games for us in the PL.

That’s because Ancelotti identified the midfield as a weak area and addressed it, we just wasted our time on Aouar rather than having other targets, we could have got Rodriguez for example if we’d wanted to. We ended up with Partey in the end who is good but again we messed about and luckily he had a release clause.

In the end Arteta thought Ceballos was enough and then of course he brought in Odergaard.

As for the squads, we have a stronger squad, Ancelotti is doing a great job with Everton whereas Arteta is doing a poor job, that’s the difference, sending Saliba out on loan was a shocker as has been his use of the players on his squad, let’s not forget he merely stumbled across ESR after being unwilling to play him for months.

I’m sorry but the excuses for Arteta have to stop now, he’s been outperformed by Ancelotti and was also outperformed by his predecessor Emery who struggled with communication and in the end got sacked.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby Rockape » Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:13 am

He's being outperformed by Moyes too.....who'd have thought that at the start of the season with the team West Ham have. No question from any of us that we have to improve and keep improving, but there just isn't any point in shouting for Arteta's head at the moment, because it just isn't going to happen.
Rockape
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Power n Glory » Fri Mar 05, 2021 11:51 am

Özim wrote:
Santi wrote:
aniym wrote:

That’s because Ancelotti identified the midfield as a weak area and addressed it, we just wasted our time on Aouar rather than having other targets, we could have got Rodriguez for example if we’d wanted to. We ended up with Partey in the end who is good but again we messed about and luckily he had a release clause.

In the end Arteta thought Ceballos was enough and then of course he brought in Odergaard.

As for the squads, we have a stronger squad, Ancelotti is doing a great job with Everton whereas Arteta is doing a poor job, that’s the difference, sending Saliba out on loan was a shocker as has been his use of the players on his squad, let’s not forget he merely stumbled across ESR after being unwilling to play him for months.

I’m sorry but the excuses for Arteta have to stop now, he’s been outperformed by Ancelotti and was also outperformed by his predecessor Emery who struggled with communication and in the end got sacked.

It's a poor excuse. They finished behind us last season and were near the bottom of the table last season before sacking their manager.

They're midfield isn't 10x better than ours. It has a lot of weak points but that's also down to our own decisions. We had the income to buy the same players as Everton but we chose different players. Partey is better than all of their CM's but we waited too long to bring him in and he's having fitness issues.

They chose Rodriguez, we went for Willian. Who would have thought the player with zero Premier League experience would out perform the one that has years of experience at Chelsea? That's down to management. It's not as if Arteta didn't have control of the players he could bring in this summer so it's not a good excuse.

Ancelotti is making it work. He doesn't have traditional wingers in the squad like we have and his attacking midfielders aren't spectacular either. He constantly tinkers with the formation to get the best out of what he has and it's working. We weren't playing the right formation for ages and took a while to play the right players in the right position as well.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk