Pablo Marí

All football talk from anywhere except The UK. Includes Champions League, Europa Cup, transfer news and general World Football chat.

Re: Pablo Marí (22)

Postby Ach » Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:34 pm

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football ... l-23308109

Is this normal?

That's an extra 7.2m if he plays 80 games
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby thebigbangtheo » Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:09 pm

Nice to see Pablo starting to get the respect he deserves put against his name.

In a lot of respects he reminds of when Steve Bould was signed for us in not being the high profile bright young thing in demand and fawned over that the majority of the fan base back then understandably wanted us to invest in but if anything was the polar opposite.

The reality however was that the lack of glitter, gold and champagne but offer of steel, granite and sweat instead that Bould brought to the party was exactly what we needed but struggled to appreciate at the time.

Defenders not possessing a V12 supercharged engine usually have their deemed lack of pace used as a slight against them as though it was a be all and end all within the art of defending, but far from it. As has generally been recognised, defenders with a built in GPS, great reading of the game and good ability to anticipate, can effectively make not being fleet footed completely irrelevant.

Yes, a tally of our four best central defensive displays in partnership or individually so far, would arguably have Holding and Luiz in 4th and 3rd place respectively with Magalhaes'and Mari as our two best central defensive operators (Tierney's rock steady displays at centre half are irrelevant to this equation).

That they are both naturally left footed and by some thought to be only competition for each other for one of the berths alongside one of the right footed centre backs, the scene is set for Arsenal to once again buck the trend and play with two lefties in the event of the Brazilian being able to adjust his game and readily accommodate operating from the right that I believe he has the greater ability to do and develop than his Spanish partner.

The addition of a right back who understands that his role as a full back is to defend first and foremost, support the midfield ahead and when the opportunity presents itself burst forward in support of the attack, would go a long way to having Gabi settle into that position shift and occasionally give him a bit of a defensive helping hand and guidance when needed, a mirror image of Kieran Tierney if you like would be the profile to match and go a long way to making the right side of the defence and team overall as strong and talented as the left side clearly is.
thebigbangtheo
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby KG3 » Sun Feb 28, 2021 12:31 pm

Had a few decent games and people were trying to tell me he’s our best centre back lol, any other defender knows to close down Tielemans to narrow the angle, especially seeing as Luiz had Vardy covered.
KG3
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Arsenal Tone » Sun Feb 28, 2021 12:34 pm

I'm happy with him as cover for Gabriel tbf
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby Ach » Sun Feb 28, 2021 12:35 pm

Never been good enough
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby Santi » Sun Feb 28, 2021 12:36 pm

Tony Adams wrote:I'm happy with him as cover for Gabriel tbf

Which is exactly his role, he’s a good backup.
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby Power n Glory » Sun Feb 28, 2021 2:56 pm

Played well despite the mistake. Didn't lose the plot and let it go from bad to worse as seen with Ceballos against Benfica. Decent back up, nobody rates him as world class but he's a better defender than that mistake. Still no problem with him starting games just as long as that's a one off.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby ag6789 » Sun Feb 28, 2021 3:05 pm

All defenders have mistakes in them. Includes Luiz Holding and Gabriel. So forget it and move on. At least he is mobile and decent on the ball.
ag6789
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Zenith » Sun Feb 28, 2021 3:29 pm

Marí vs Vardy -

Zenith
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Location: Across the North Sea, 200-something miles away from The Grove

Postby Callum » Sun Feb 28, 2021 6:34 pm

Zenith wrote:Marí vs Vardy -

He's faster than he looks!
Callum
SE13
SE13

Postby Salibatelli » Sun Feb 28, 2021 6:41 pm

Don’t have a problem with him to be honest, I’d be moving Holding, Chambers and Luiz on in the summer and bringing back Saliba and then finding another CB from somewhere.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby Ach » Sun Feb 28, 2021 6:44 pm

Still don't understand why he ran away from Tielemans for the goal as Luiz had Vardy.

But he didn't let the f**k up ruin his game. He's not very good but decent back up
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby thebigbangtheo » Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:12 pm

Understandably, I thought Keiran Tierney looked a little bit rusty and not yet acclimatised on his return to the side after his month or so absence, so I wasn't exactly dumbfounded when added to being left exposed and up against the Man City right hand side that he looked more Katy than KT regards his involvement in their goal.

For all those of us who've acclaimed Gabriel Magalhaes' as the best centre back we've had in years, let's hope none of our rivals do a meme to that quote using footage from his last 3 or 4 games or so.

As someone has already alluded to, all defenders will make the odd mistake. By my reckoning at least if not pro rata, Pablo Mari has made less mistakes than Holding, Magalhaes' and Luiz.

In that he seems to take charge of defensive organisation and encourage constant communication similar to Luiz, I think that the less vociferous Leno achieves greater focus with the likes of Mari in front of him.
thebigbangtheo
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby theHotHead » Mon Mar 01, 2021 7:32 am

Özim wrote:Don’t have a problem with him to be honest, I’d be moving Holding, Chambers and Luiz on in the summer and bringing back Saliba and then finding another CB from somewhere.

Luiz is still our best CB, makes no sense to let him go.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby Salibatelli » Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:32 am

theHotHead wrote:
Özim wrote:Don’t have a problem with him to be honest, I’d be moving Holding, Chambers and Luiz on in the summer and bringing back Saliba and then finding another CB from somewhere.

Luiz is still our best CB, makes no sense to let him go.

I find him unreliable, he makes basic errors all the time, most of the time he gets away with them.

Personally would prefer someone more solid who doesn’t have those concentration lapses he suffers from.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

PreviousNext

Return to World Football