Pablo Marí

All football talk from anywhere except The UK. Includes Champions League, Europa Cup, transfer news and general World Football chat.

Re: Pablo Marí (22)

Postby theHotHead » Mon Mar 01, 2021 11:10 am

If Luiz is our best CB surely the plan should be to replace all CBs not as good as him first, no ?

Yes he makes mistakes but he still gives more to the team than anyone other CB. He is the only CB we have that can put in truly world class performances.

for the record my first sentence is more to highlight a point. I think Gabriel and Mari are certainly worth a spot in the Arsenal squad and should not be sold, if we can replace Luiz with an improved version of him, with the abilities he has that benefit the team, only then should we get rid. None of the other CBs are leaders, they are partners for a leader, Luiz is the leader.
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby thebigbangtheo » Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:27 am

I'm hoping that Mari can now complete this season without further interruption by injury and cement his place in the team.

The disruption and loss of performance that Gabriel has suffered since his bout of covid-19, presents the opportunity for the cultured Spaniard to remind people of how well he was playing too before his own enforced absence.

His pairing with Luiz has no obvious flaws and in my opinion should remain insitu for the Burnley game at least.

Gabriel Magalhaes will regain his form and pre illness level of performance again, hopefully soon, but in the meantime I would like to see that more experienced pairing do well enough to give Arteta a bit of a poser when he does.
thebigbangtheo
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Santi » Wed Mar 03, 2021 3:19 pm

Saw a stat earlier, didn’t verify it but posting anyway

Mari this season
P8
W7
L1

Goat
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby theHotHead » Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:31 pm

Looks like in all comps Played 10, Wins 8, Losses 2
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby Santi » Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:34 pm

He's only played 8 games mate, you might be counting 2 in the PL2.
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby theHotHead » Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:35 pm

Aaah, he has actually made 11 appearances, 3 from last season.

2 wins and a loss last season, 7 wins and a loss this season. 9 wins, 2 losses. 81% win rate when he plays.
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby Arsenal Tone » Fri Mar 05, 2021 6:28 am

Those two defeats were both to Man City too.
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby theHotHead » Fri Mar 05, 2021 11:13 am

Inerestingly, we have not lost a game when Mari is partnered alongside Luiz. Mari has been partered with Luiz, Mustafi, Holding and Chambers, he has played most games partnering Holding.
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby gooney » Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:23 pm

I think he is the weakest cb we have tbh. I just don’t rate the guy
gooney
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby thebigbangtheo » Sun Apr 04, 2021 12:56 pm

I have previously stated that whilst no Tony Adams, I like that Mari will more naturally take charge and direct others around him in an assured tone when required and not shirk the responsibility of being lead defender rather than only being a wing man.

In having advocated that unless evidence in training proved otherwise, Mari being partnered with Magalhaes' gave me visions of Silk and Steel first and foremost as opposed to two competent centre halfs now suddenly becoming incompetent and getting in each others way while paying homage to the Chuckle Brothers.

Either way I feel that I've speculated long enough on the matter already as need not repeat myself, suffice to say that I'd sooner see an abject performance or two (fair's fair) from them highlighting such folly and proving me wrong and naive even, than continue to be left in limbo wondering, whilst Holding playing ahead of either is somehow deemed a credible option.
thebigbangtheo
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby thebigbangtheo » Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:42 am

Isn't it nice when you go through a match and don't get to recollect too much of what your defenders and goalie contributed to the game?

No, one Swallow does not a summer make, but hopefully it will be acknowledged that much like David Luiz, our cultured Spaniard constantly talks in a relatively calm manner to those around him.

I guess that it is a fair and valid comment to make that another clean sheet on his watch is more to do with the toothless bite of the Blades attack coupled with the lack of any real cutting edge (yes, pun intended) to their play is nothing much to shout from the rooftops about.
thebigbangtheo
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby thebigbangtheo » Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:05 am

With having a heady cocktail of belief, hope and logic, wanting Saliba and Mavropanos back on our defensive roster for next season, at the expense of David Luiz first in the name of progress and evolution regardless of popularity as the twinkle of his star glows less and less bright, and Rob Holding in the event of a sizeable offer for his services, Pablo Mari is a good fit to the profile outline commissioned by Arteta.

I think it may be going under the radar somewhat that he wants a good handful (sit back down Samantha Fox, wasn't talking about you) of players within his squad proficient in two if not more positions. From what I recollect of the info searching we all invariably did upon Mari's initial links to us, he is acknowledged as equally adapt at left back and would most likely occupy the position now but for Luiz' injury and the lack of leadership evident when Holding & Gabriel are paired together.

A more than good chance that I am well wide of the mark on this one but would make sense as to why we seemingly left ourselves vulnerable at LB whilst fully aware that Tesco's finest has attended the weddings and christenings of 4 doctors and 7 nurses.

I'm not for a moment suggesting that Arteta is out to create a footballing equivalent of the Karma Sutra, but having witnessed from close quarters Arsene Wenger's Rosetta stone alchemy seeking to fit square pegs into round holes, he and Pep after a heavy one on the Estrella's probably shared a Eureka! moment in figuring out were the esteemed Frenchman was going wrong.

Anyway, long may it continue failing to be acclaimed that our upturn in fortune with clean sheets and the like, coincide with his being in the team.
thebigbangtheo
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby billie86 » Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:25 am

Looks solid at present but will be judged on sterner tests than Slavia and Sheffield United so time will tell. On another note I would still like to see him partnered with Gabriel.
billie86
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby thebigbangtheo » Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:10 pm

It's funny how things sometimes work out. In light of the relaxation of lockdown, coupled with the enjoyable spring weather we're having and that it was the birthday of one of our good neighbours down the road, I only got to see the first twenty minutes of the game before having to lug some stuff she'd said we'd bring with us for the barbecue.

As a result, it appears that I was spared from having endured what turns out to have been a bit of an anti climax following on from our last two performances, more so since not liking the line up regards midfield and right back but in particular, that it still seems as though it's being dismissed as lucky coincidence that clean sheets and competent defensive showings had one common denominator... Pablo Mari.

No he is not as vociferous as David Luiz as a leader but he does seem to take responsibility for our defensive fortitude.

I haven't seen yet the rest of what I missed and might not even bother to from what I'm gauging, as I've had a really enjoyable day today and don't want to kill the white rum and champagne buzz I've still got going on, so as it stands I'm probably one of the only happy gooners in the country right now.
thebigbangtheo
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby KG3 » Sat May 15, 2021 8:58 am

theHotHead wrote:Inerestingly, we have not lost a game when Mari is partnered alongside Luiz. Mari has been partered with Luiz, Mustafi, Holding and Chambers, he has played most games partnering Holding.

Best two centre backs we have, shame Luiz is leaving
KG3
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

PreviousNext

Return to World Football