The Emirates Move

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: The Emirates Move

Postby Angelito » Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:48 pm

It had to happen. Get over it.

We earn 25% of our revenue from gate receipts. That's the highest amongst top clubs in Europe.

It's our own issues that prevented us from winning a League title at the Emirates. If we had moved Wenger upstairs and hired Klopp when he was available, we'd have won that elusive League title.

Highbury had 90+ years of history behind it. We moved to Emirates in 2006. And in that time frame, we've seen the rise of sugar daddy clubs, the wane of stadium revenue, and the emergence of TV revenue. It all happened at a wrong time. It doesn't mean it was a wrong move.

It's our home now. Let's just rename it to Arsene Wenger Stadium. ;)
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby starmandb » Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:13 am

The Break Water wrote:
Ach wrote:
Former Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger says the Gunners "lost our soul" when they left Highbury for the Emirates Stadium. (Evening Standard)

He is 100% right.

Sadly I have only been to Highbury once and it was amazing, we beat Newcastle 5-0 and I loved every second of it, I was only 11 years old at the time but I remember how loud it was and my ears were ringing. It was an amazing day. Highbury was 10/10, Emirates is 2/10.

Its still my favorite memory of ever going to football, I have been to Emirates and away grounds as a adult BUT nothing will ever replicate my only once time at Highbury when we beat Newcastle 5-0, I loved it so much

I went to virtually every home game at Highbury between 1970 and 2006
When I was 11 I was among 24 thousand who watched us lose 1-0 home to burnley
It was shit watching the likes of jeff blockley in the team
Amidst an 18 year period without a first division title
It was great because it was watching the Arsenal among family and friends
But the view from my season ticket in the east lower( brought by my grandad god love him) was so poor that I generally stood up at the back with a couple of guys ( I kind of idolised them as they went on away trips) outside of semi finals I hadn't yet been to an away game that wasn't in London.
The atmosphere was shit when things were going bad and great when things were going well
( you know just like football grounds up and down the country and Europe)
I have had a season ticket at the Emirates and also sat all over the ground and have never had a bad view
It has also really rocked in there when we have had a good performance
I love Highbury but the mythology of it is utter bolox
We outgrew it
The move to a stadium in our heartland was a sound one
The fact is we stuck with a failing manager too long
starmandb
Member of the Year 2018, 2020

Postby VCC » Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:31 am

starmandb wrote:
The Break Water wrote:
Ach wrote:
Former Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger says the Gunners "lost our soul" when they left Highbury for the Emirates Stadium. (Evening Standard)

He is 100% right.

Sadly I have only been to Highbury once and it was amazing, we beat Newcastle 5-0 and I loved every second of it, I was only 11 years old at the time but I remember how loud it was and my ears were ringing. It was an amazing day. Highbury was 10/10, Emirates is 2/10.

Its still my favorite memory of ever going to football, I have been to Emirates and away grounds as a adult BUT nothing will ever replicate my only once time at Highbury when we beat Newcastle 5-0, I loved it so much

I went to virtually every home game at Highbury between 1970 and 2006
But the view from my season ticket in the east lower( brought by my grandad god love him) was so poor that I generally stood up at the back with a couple of guys ( I kind of idolised them as they went on away trips) outside of semi finals I hadn't yet been to an away game that wasn't in London.
The atmosphere was shit when things were going bad and great when things were going well
I have had a season ticket at the Emirates and also sat all over the ground and have never had a bad view
We outgrew it

Much jealous firstly, I would have loved one Highbury experience, where I grew up, the area of the city is called Highbury,
Have to agree Starmandb but for me it was as soon as I had seen the ideal to let the older world class experience leave, there is no age limit to top sports people Stanley Mathews played past his 50,s different time granted but just as young players grace the planet from time to time with almost indescribable maturity past their years, also players can hold their exclusive world class ability beyond what is the norm, fact is it takes a mixture of experience and youth and as soon as I could see the direction of the clubs philosophy it was time for AW to go
VCC
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Salibatelli » Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:13 am

Almost 14 years it's now been since the move, at this point we should be rolling in it, competing with the best have some of the best players and one of the best teams, there couldn't be a greater contrast, what a failure the last 14 years has been, it could well be terminal too, hard to see how we're going to get back up there given our finances and noone willing to invest.

It seems like the owners aren't even that bothered about our current situation, surely their investment must be losing money with where we are? I think our only hope is that Kroenke cuts his losses and sells, up till now we've been riding the crest of a wave seeing our share price rise despite failure on the pitch. It had to stop somewhere.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby theHotHead » Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:30 am

starmandb wrote:I went to virtually every home game at Highbury between 1970 and 2006
We outgrew it

The part in bold is so true. This fawning over Highbury, do me a lemon. Its linked to our greatest achievements and we left it during a golden period in our history - of course. But I also remember how shit it was too. The Emirates has everything for it to be a great arena - as proven on derby days and other big games. Its the people going to the stadium that are the problem, not the stadium itself.
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby FARM » Fri Jan 24, 2020 2:32 pm

The Energy in Highbury was different though, Emirates has a foreign energy, it doesn't have the right energy. Highbury had 100 years of energy that was built from the foundations and stones and concrete in a very old era, you can't replicate that energy. I know 99% of you won't understand what I am saying because you only see the obvious in everything.

But yeah I feel it, I can feel the energy, just by looking at it, all that energy has been destroyed now and we can't ever get it back. This is not hocus pocus stuff, ask any scientist or doctor about energy, its a real thing, when you die your energy can't die... don't take my word for it, ask any scientist and doctor, they will all tell you the same, energy is one of the only things that can't die, its everywhere, the feeling you get.. you are picking up energy.

The people that say Highbury is a myth I am afraid are 2 things.. new foreign fans, or they don't understand energy and can't feel it and sense it.. the stadiums can be empty.. it doesnt matter, its the energy that the building gives off, I can feel it. I am not psychic, I just sense the energy
Chickens, Turkeys, Pigs and Lambs, and more on my farm. Plenty of livestock to feed the masses. Come visit my farm, don't be a stranger.
FARM
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby StLGooner » Fri Jan 24, 2020 2:41 pm

Who the f**k said Highbury is a myth? That post is hilarious. I would imagine anyone with an IQ over 90, knows about energy. Haha!
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby swipe right » Fri Jan 24, 2020 2:50 pm

FARM wrote:The Energy in Highbury was different though, Emirates has a foreign energy, it doesn't have the right energy. Highbury had 100 years of energy that was built from the foundations and stones and concrete in a very old era, you can't replicate that energy. I know 99% of you won't understand what I am saying because you only see the obvious in everything.

But yeah I feel it, I can feel the energy, just by looking at it, all that energy has been destroyed now and we can't ever get it back. This is not hocus pocus stuff, ask any scientist or doctor about energy, its a real thing, when you die your energy can't die... don't take my word for it, ask any scientist and doctor, they will all tell you the same, energy is one of the only things that can't die, its everywhere, the feeling you get.. you are picking up energy.

The people that say Highbury is a myth I am afraid are 2 things.. new foreign fans, or they don't understand energy and can't feel it and sense it.. the stadiums can be empty.. it doesnt matter, its the energy that the building gives off, I can feel it. I am not psychic, I just sense the energy

Talking about energy, I’m catching a lot of hot air right here.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby theHotHead » Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:59 am

FARM wrote:The Energy in Highbury was different though, Emirates has a foreign energy, it doesn't have the right energy. Highbury had 100 years of energy that was built from the foundations and stones and concrete in a very old era, you can't replicate that energy. I know 99% of you won't understand what I am saying because you only see the obvious in everything.

Mate Starmandb has been going to watch Arsenal every week since the 70s I think, I was a regular at Highbury since the late 80s, born and raised in Holloway.

So in the words of the Virgin Mary ..... come again???
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby swipe right » Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:09 am

I used to go down to the Woolwich Arsenal when they were still called Dial Square. Top that bitches.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby starmandb » Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:49 am

theHotHead wrote:

Mate Starmandb has been going to watch Arsenal every week since the 70s I think, I was a regular at Highbury since the late 80s, born and raised in Holloway.

So in the words of the Virgin Mary ..... come again???

I can live with the Mumbo
It's the jumbo I have a problem with
starmandb

Postby VCC » Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:43 pm

Anyone think this was worth it ?
Fans were promised a chance to be a super club contesting for titles with Europe best
We dispatched some of our best players at a time when we were challenging for everything.
We were simply sold a lie, I personally think if a super league were to be formed right now the only way Arsenal would be part would be on attendance revenue,
For me The Library (Emerites) is a monument of football's decline to being simply a bussiness for some.
Coincidently AW economics degree has been of little value
Try this model
"Winners create exposure
Exposure creates fans
Fans create revenue"

Go to any school playground you will find children emulating Sane Mane
VCC
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Angelito » Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:49 pm

Guess which club generates the highest revenue from gate receipts in Europe?

You guessed it.

We were well on track. But the arrival of Roman Abramovich changed the game. And it wasn't long before TV money created another playground for football clubs in England.

The stadium move was the right call. The timing was bad, but nobody could have predicted it then. In hindsight, we should have waited until 2010.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby VCC » Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:02 pm

I have not made my point clear enough

At the time the move was a sound one!
The method of selling our best players who had put us on the highest european stage was not sound.
If we had backed keeping those players and winning the CL and becoming dominant domestically becoming the club every top player wanted to play at creating revenue through being winners. Instead we competed
VCC
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby EliteKiller » Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:32 am

Same tired topic but as always - would moving from the Model T Ford to the Aston Martin Vanquish be the right move? well not if you still used a 200cc engine. The problem isn't the bricks and mortar, only a fool would pretend that overall a tired 38,000 was better than a modern 60,000 even without the "energy", the problem was that investment in the team failed to match the investment in the stadium ... in the five years following the move to the Emirates just 100m was invested in new players ... the fascination with developing youth above all else destroyed the club from within, this wasn't apparent until the old guard moved on but from 2011 onward the lack of talent in depth has been horrible apparent ... nothing to do with the stadium, that has generated record income year in year out, and everything to do with a failed philosophy of relying on overrated youngsters and a suicidal contract policy. Just to show how our rivals have learnt from our mistakes, in the last four years since they invested 1 billion on their new stadium Spurs have spent 400m on new players, breaking their transfer record three times in the process, and even then they've still struggled. A fancy new stadium with a bang average team will never work, it's not rocket science.
EliteKiller
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk