The Emirates Move

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: The Emirates Move

Postby yadunoe » Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:11 am

it was a good decision but the owner and his employees squandered the money earned from this move on shit players
yadunoe
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby theHotHead » Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:02 am

Im sure we all remember the pundits predicting our demise for years but Wenger kept proving them wrong and we all enjoyed sticking our fingers up at them.

They were right all along, they just got the date wrong.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby Dejan » Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:13 pm

I think our emirates move was the right move at the right time but we didnt execute our followup plan correctly as we bought too many players that werent good enough for too much money

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G935F met Tapatalk
Rest in Peace SE13 :(
Dejan
SE13
SE13

Postby Ach » Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:13 pm

Former Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger says the Gunners "lost our soul" when they left Highbury for the Emirates Stadium. (Evening Standard)
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby Jack The Ripper » Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:39 pm

I hate Emirates, its a place in the Gulf over 3,000 miles away, its nothing to do with us. Our home is only Highbury, we died and was finished when we left Highbury.

And don't start saying thats only sentiment, No its not... we have won ZERO Prem titles at Emirates and its been a disaster, its been awful, its the worst thing that has ever happened to us.. its not been a success, its been awful.

The view is shit, the atmosphere is shit, the prices are shit, shit shit shit shit shit. its full of tourists and it has no soul. We have lost our identity.

Away teams were scared to death at Highbury, you could literally touch the players, they were like in prison when they came to our home Highbury, it was beautiful.
Jack The Ripper
Charlie George
Charlie George

Postby VCC » Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:04 am

Ach wrote:
Former Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger says the Gunners "lost our soul" when they left Highbury for the Emirates Stadium. (Evening Standard)

1st quote from AW I have agreed with for years
VCC
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby The Break Water » Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:16 am

Ach wrote:

He is 100% right.

Sadly I have only been to Highbury once and it was amazing, we beat Newcastle 5-0 and I loved every second of it, I was only 11 years old at the time but I remember how loud it was and my ears were ringing. It was an amazing day. Highbury was 10/10, Emirates is 2/10.

Its still my favorite memory of ever going to football, I have been to Emirates and away grounds as a adult BUT nothing will ever replicate my only once time at Highbury when we beat Newcastle 5-0, I loved it so much
The Break Water
Lee Dixon
Lee Dixon

Postby elkanofan » Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:52 am

Jack The Ripper wrote:I hate Emirates, its a place in the Gulf over 3,000 miles away, its nothing to do with us. Our home is only Highbury, we died and was finished when we left Highbury.

And don't start saying thats only sentiment, No its not... we have won ZERO Prem titles at Emirates and its been a disaster, its been awful, its the worst thing that has ever happened to us.. its not been a success, its been awful.

The view is shit, the atmosphere is shit, the prices are shit, shit shit shit shit shit. its full of tourists and it has no soul. We have lost our identity.

Away teams were scared to death at Highbury, you could literally touch the players, they were like in prison when they came to our home Highbury, it was beautiful.

Yes, as Wenger has also said recently we have lost our soul which made us Arsenal which was always there at Highbury. However while I miss being so close to the pitch and the closely knit community Highbury was, this is a general thing among most clubs who have upgraded to new stadiums, the stands are now further from the pitch than before due to safety :(

West Ham fans have it even worse than us, at least we have a stadium built for football. Theirs is horrible soulless Colosseum deathmatch pit.

I love new stadiums and the technology in them but i see no reason why they can't design them to be very close to the pitch as possible as a highly important element to the architectural layout. I love old nostalgic stuff but it don't have to be a shithole to have character.
elkanofan
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Jack The Ripper » Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:48 am

elkanofan wrote:
Jack The Ripper wrote:I hate Emirates, its a place in the Gulf over 3,000 miles away, its nothing to do with us. Our home is only Highbury, we died and was finished when we left Highbury.

Yes, as Wenger has also said recently we have lost our soul which made us Arsenal which was always there at Highbury. However while I miss being so close to the pitch and the closely knit community Highbury was, this is a general thing among most clubs who have upgraded to new stadiums, the stands are now further from the pitch than before due to safety :(

West Ham fans have it even worse than us, at least we have a stadium built for football. Theirs is horrible soulless Colosseum deathmatch pit.

I love new stadiums and the technology in them but i see no reason why they can't design them to be very close to the pitch as possible as a highly important element to the architectural layout. I love old nostalgic stuff but it don't have to be a shithole to have character.

I totally agree with you man, I loved being so close to the pitch, you really felt like you were on top of the players and they didn't seem like distant stick men.

Highbury had a big effect on away teams, this is not debatable... 38,500 of us were literally on top of them!!! they really were in a foreign prison when they came to Highbury.. it was so intense and anyone who is not so incredibly mentally strong will not play at their max.

The proof is all our real true success has been at Highbury, you can say it existed longer, but remember the Premiership only started in 1992, so we had 13 years of it at Highbury and won it countless times. We have had 15 years of the premiership at Emirates and have won nothing, absoutley nothing. I'm sorry but its been a total disaster and misery.. I swear I haven't enjoyed it.
Jack The Ripper
Charlie George
Charlie George

Postby theHotHead » Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:59 pm

Its not all true, Highbury from the George Graham era was dead, quiet, boring football, nothing to shout about, hence the "Highbury Library".

It was rocking only "sometimes". I remember sitting down watching Arsenal v Wimbledon and there was f**k all noise and f**k all of any interest happening on the pitch.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby Salibatelli » Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:02 pm

theHotHead wrote:Its not all true, Highbury from the George Graham era was dead, quiet, boring football, nothing to shout about, hence the "Highbury Library".

It was rocking only "sometimes". I remember sitting down watching Arsenal v Wimbledon and there was f**k all noise and f**k all of any interest happening on the pitch.

At one time we were rebuilding a stand so noise would have been reduced, as for Wimbledon, they didn't have any fans that's probably why.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby theHotHead » Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:13 pm

Nah, after the mural it was still naff.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby Nuggets » Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:18 pm

VCC wrote:
Ach wrote:

Me too, he was right about that. :(
Nuggets
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner

Postby Salibatelli » Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:06 pm

VCC wrote:
Ach wrote:

Me too.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby StLGooner » Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:26 pm

Souls don't exist, so you've all been duped!!
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk