Gabriel Magalhães (6)

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: Gabriel Magalhães (6)

Postby jayramfootball » Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:53 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:
theHotHead wrote:Not sure I agree, the traditional 4-4-2 for example, when one fullback bombs on the other doesn't tend to, as cover. If the defending team counter on the opposite side, the remaining full back will engage and the 2 CBs will shift across to that side, doesn't mean for that counter attack they are playing 3 at the back.

Did we say when Ramsey bombed on to the box that we played a 4-2-4 ? Its just a natural by-product of an attack that means a formation naturally morphs during specific scenarios, doesn't mean we have changed formation.

Exactly.

Players positions change during the match, Auba could end up in the area of a CDM but that doesn't mean he's not playing ST.

That still from Zenith is just showing Tierney who was clearly playing LB has just bombed forward meaning the remaining three are covering space.
Once Tierney drops back its the 4-2-3-1 we were playing.

That is why formations are largely unimportant.
It's about the intelligence of the players to operate to within the game and do their job. That shifts the formation continually.
I was not talking about formation - just the absolute fact that Gabriel, White and Tomiyasu are forming 3 at the back when we have possession and are building attacks.

Tierney was not just bombing forward - he was actually taking positions further upfield all game when the 3 had the back had control of the ball.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby jayramfootball » Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:57 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
theHotHead wrote:Not sure I agree, the traditional 4-4-2 for example, when one fullback bombs on the other doesn't tend to, as cover. If the defending team counter on the opposite side, the remaining full back will engage and the 2 CBs will shift across to that side, doesn't mean for that counter attack they are playing 3 at the back.

Did we say when Ramsey bombed on to the box that we played a 4-2-4 ? Its just a natural by-product of an attack that means a formation naturally morphs during specific scenarios, doesn't mean we have changed formation.

It's not been about Tierney bombing forward or the counter attack.
They are specifically dropping into a 3 when we have controlled possession. Watched them do it time after time yesterday.
Not overly concerned about what formation that means... Largely irrelevant...

Tomi got forward as well ........... what's that then 2atb?

Its not that deep, our formation was a 4-2-3-1 if a Fullback whichever one bombs forward it looks like 3atb but with the players we had out and their positioning, it clearly was 4atb.

He wasn't talking a forward position to start moves.
He was moving inside to form a 3 with White and Gabiel.
Of course, as moves developed he was getting forward.
The player specifically coming out of the back 4 as part of the set up in play, whilst the 3 at the back had possession was Tierney.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby DiamondGooner » Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:11 pm

jayramfootball wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:

They are specifically dropping into a 3 when we have controlled possession. Watched them do it time after time yesterday.

Its not that deep, our formation was a 4-2-3-1 if a Fullback whichever one bombs forward it looks like 3atb but with the players we had out and their positioning, it clearly was 4atb.

The player specifically coming out of the back 4 as part of the set up in play, whilst the 3 at the back had possession was Tierney.

Tierney loves bombing forward that's why and when he does Tomi has stay back for cover.

The defenders naturally have to shift over, what's the alternative, leave a gapping hole on the Left?

I don't need to argue this, we played 4-2-3-1 and that's the end of it, I could post our formation announcements from TV and they'll all have it.

As below plus I could get the ones from Sky Sports.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby jayramfootball » Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:16 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:

Tierney loves bombing forward that's why and when he does Tomi has stay back for cover.

The defenders naturally have to shift over, what's the alternative, leave a gapping hole on the Left?

I don't need to argue this, we played 4-2-3-1 and that's the end of it, I could post our formation announcements from TV and they'll all have it.

As below plus I could get the ones from Sky Sports.

I am not talking formation - so I am not arguing what we notionally set up as.

When we had possession at the back - it was 3 players ... Tierney was not bombing forward, he was consistently taking positions forward as the other back 3 passed it around amongst themselves. It happened so often - and has in previous games, it's a clear strategy.

White takes the lead role of possession at the back, Gabriel and Tomiyasu flank him and Tierney creates an extra man in midfield.

I am not saying we are starting with a 3 at the back formation - it's just fluid based on the circumstances of the game with what looks like to me very specific - and different - instructions given to both Tierney and Tomiyasu.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Zenith » Tue Sep 28, 2021 1:44 am

Way too often football fans say: ''we should play formation X in order to Y''. That rigid, simplistic, and flawed video game-logic doesn't apply to real football.

"The problem with using a word is that everyone interprets it differently."

What Cruyff means by that is that football is about fluidity, and that there are myriad entirely different ways to implement one and the same formation, or even simply a part of a structure or formation—in this case the midfield diamond.

Football is a game of shapes. Shapes change continuously throughout every match: sometimes by design, sometimes by instinct or circumstance. Formations merely give a basic, albeit incomplete representation that has little meaning without context.
Zenith
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Location: Across the North Sea, 200-something miles away from The Grove

Postby theHotHead » Tue Sep 28, 2021 5:03 am

Yeah I would agree fully with that.
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby StockGooner » Tue Sep 28, 2021 2:26 pm

People are arguing over saying the same thing....

Everyone knows the named formation is irrelevant and we're all agreeing. Shall we leave it there?
StockGooner
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Salibatelli » Tue Sep 28, 2021 6:41 pm

He’s been a rock, really looking good.

Our best CB, another player who came from Ligue 1 and has proved top quality, was very good in France and has carried that in England after settling in.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby Salibatelli » Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:18 pm

Yes that’s the dream. we could have a top CB partnership for years to come!
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby Zenith » Sat Oct 02, 2021 9:28 pm

:arse fan:
Zenith
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Location: Across the North Sea, 200-something miles away from The Grove

Postby Salibatelli » Sun Oct 03, 2021 8:55 am

Outstanding again, MOTM really stepping up to the plate again.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby billie86 » Sun Oct 03, 2021 10:32 am

this guy surely must be rated as one of the best cbs In the league now?
billie86
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Arsenal Tone » Mon Oct 04, 2021 5:18 am

Our best player atm. Once his English improves make him captain!
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby jayramfootball » Mon Oct 04, 2021 7:01 am

Arsenal Tone wrote:Our best player atm. Once his English improves make him captain!

Since his return, yes, our best player.
Really pleased with the defensive unit overall, but Gabriel looks like the one we'd miss the most if he wasn't there.

Really good signing and only 23.
Looking forward to seeing this young defence develop.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Salibatelli » Mon Oct 04, 2021 9:05 am

Last edited by Salibatelli on Mon Oct 04, 2021 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk