Gabriel Magalhães (6)

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: Gabriel Magalhães (6)

Postby Callum » Sun Sep 20, 2020 5:41 pm

Santi wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:Rubbish?

I'm not sure what the hell game some of you were watching?

Same game where our defence was cut open all second half plus the first 15 mins and very easily right before half time. That game.

Were you watching VVD by mistake?

Is that Gabriel's fault? Not sure how you can attribute our ability to control the game to him.
Callum
SE13
SE13

Postby Santi » Sun Sep 20, 2020 5:43 pm

Callum wrote:
Santi wrote:

Same game where our defence was cut open all second half plus the first 15 mins and very easily right before half time. That game.

Is that Gabriel's fault? Not sure how you can attribute our ability to control the game to him.

Did I say it was just him Callum? Pretty sure I've been slagging Kola for 24 hours now and telling you guys Holding should go on loan.

All 3 were rubbish but people are trying to protect Gabriel because he's our shiny new toy. If they'd given the penalty against him (as they probably should've), you'd have a very different view of his performance I think. Personally think it was nice for him to get that bit of luck so he doesn't have a penalty monkey on his back already, will save his confidence.
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby Callum » Sun Sep 20, 2020 5:47 pm

Santi wrote:
Callum wrote:
Santi wrote:

Did I say it was just him Callum? Pretty sure I've been slagging Kola for 24 hours now and telling you guys Holding should go on loan.

All 3 were rubbish but people are trying to protect Gabriel because he's our shiny new toy. If they'd given the penalty against him (as they probably should've), you'd have a very different view of his performance I think. Personally think it was nice for him to get that bit of luck so he doesn't have a penalty monkey on his back already, will save his confidence.

No, but you cited our performance as a team when Gabriel was a very small part of that. I thought on an individual level he played well; better than the majority of our players (even if that isn't saying much).

Looked sloppy a couple of times, but did a lot of things well in my opinion. 7/10 performance. Not going to split hairs over it but I think some of the criticism of him is harsh.
Callum
SE13
SE13

Postby Santi » Sun Sep 20, 2020 5:49 pm

7/10 when he would've cost us a goal? If Luiz gives a pen but makes a few okay passes I don't see anyone rating him a 7/10.

Different standards because Gabriel is new, imo. He played great against Fulham and wasn't very good yesterday, no big deal still looks like a good signing for me.
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby Callum » Sun Sep 20, 2020 5:51 pm

Santi wrote:7/10 when he would've cost us a goal? If Luiz gives a pen but makes a few okay passes I don't see anyone rating him a 7/10.

Different standards because Gabriel is new, imo. He played great against Fulham and wasn't very good yesterday, no big deal still looks like a good signing for me.

He didn't cost us a goal, though? Yes he got lucky with the potential handball but I still think it was a borderline decision given this weird new sleeve/ arm rule. VAR would have looked at it, deemed it wasn't a clear and obvious error, and the play moved on.
Callum
SE13
SE13

Postby Santi » Sun Sep 20, 2020 5:54 pm

Okay so we should give the ref a 1/10 because it should've been a pen. His arm was out, he misjudged the flight of the ball and completely missed his header with the ball hitting his arm.

Well done ref, you saved our new CB, cheers. And they say refs never help us :lol:

edit: before someone comes crying and clearly doesn't understand, i'm not trying to tear him down at all, he didn't have a great game..in fact a fairly poor one but it happens. Nobody is saying he should be the best CB in the league or in the team every week, especially not yet, but he just wasn't good yesterday so gonna say so. Hope we see more games like his first one and less like yesterday.
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby Callum » Sun Sep 20, 2020 6:00 pm

Santi wrote:Okay so we should give the ref a 1/10 because it should've been a pen. His arm was out, he misjudged the flight of the ball and completely missed his header with the ball hitting his arm.

Well done ref, you saved our new CB, cheers. And they say refs never help us :lol:

Again, it was borderline. This is the new ruling in terms of the sleeve/ arm:

This is where the ball struck Gabriel:

So yes, sloppy play, but was not awarding the penalty a "clear and obvious" error? Absolutely not. It strikes him on the sleeve, which does not constitute a handball.
Callum
SE13
SE13

Postby Santi » Sun Sep 20, 2020 6:03 pm

Tbh I'm less arsed about the technicality of the handball, it's the fact he misjudged the header and there was at least 1 other occasion last night that he did the same. The scenario above should be a pen all day long imo but the worrying bit was the judgement. If the new rules somehow make that not a pen then fine but that's some weird bullshit an it's still a poor piece of play from him. Fair enough though, not a goal costing moment if that's the rule so I'll bump him up by 1/10.

As I said, it can happen and people can make mistakes but all I'm saying is he had a fairly bad game, nowhere near a 7/10.
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby Angelito » Sun Sep 20, 2020 6:11 pm

Newness breeds curiosity. That's all.

Gazidis was supposed to take us to promise land (Hi Sims :P).

Sanllehi was supposed to be a deal-maker who would do deals to take us back to where we belong. He even co-wrote The Art of the Deal. ;)

Now, it's Edu and Arteta.

Wenger wouldn't be one of the greatest football thinkers of all time if all Mikel had to do was come, make the players train hard, and explain his non-negotiables.

Just reserve your judgment and be rational. If someone is poor, someone simply is.

Refusing to praise someone for your own vested interest, or to criticize someone for the same, is Twitter culture today.

Gabriel was poor yesterday. Apart from Nketiah who scored the winner, everyone was more or less.

Let's just accept it and move on.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Callum » Sun Sep 20, 2020 6:21 pm

Angelito wrote:Newness breeds curiosity. That's all.

Gazidis was supposed to take us to promise land (Hi Sims :P).

Sanllehi was supposed to be a deal-maker who would do deals to take us back to where we belong. He even co-wrote The Art of the Deal. ;)

Now, it's Edu and Arteta.

Wenger wouldn't be one of the greatest football thinkers of all time if all Mikel had to do was come, make the players train hard, and explain his non-negotiables.

Just reserve your judgment and be rational. If someone is poor, someone simply is.

Refusing to praise someone for your own vested interest, or to criticize someone for the same, is Twitter culture today.

Gabriel was poor yesterday. Apart from Nketiah who scored the winner, everyone was more or less.

Let's just accept it and move on.

Or maybe others just disagree on your judgement of a player’s performance, irrespective of some bias you’re decided to automatically attribute to their judgement?

Gabriel did some things wrong yesterday but I think he did far more things right. You declaring that he was poor is not a fact, merely an opinion.
Callum
SE13
SE13

Postby Santi » Sun Sep 20, 2020 8:47 pm

Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby Callum » Sun Sep 20, 2020 8:53 pm

Santi wrote:Image

I offer Angelito a gift in an effort towards reconciliation.

Callum
SE13
SE13

Postby Angelito » Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:53 am

Callum wrote:
Santi wrote:Image

I offer Angelito a gift in an effort towards reconciliation.

Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby thebigbangtheo » Thu Oct 01, 2020 10:41 pm

As a game of football, I thought that tonight was a bit of a tough one to watch and enjoy as entertainment.

However, Gabriel's performance was effectively the throwing off of the stabiliser training wheels and declaration that he must be one of the central defensive pairing when we revert to the preferred four at the back set up and that he doesn't need David Luiz to hold his hand.
thebigbangtheo
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Ach » Thu Oct 01, 2020 10:53 pm

Ridiculous he didn't play on monday
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk