Arteta: What is acceptable this season?

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: Arteta: What is acceptable this season?

Postby DiamondGooner » Wed Dec 25, 2019 8:07 pm

Top 4 is laughable so I don't see why people are expecting that.

Arteta was bought in to start a project.

To put into place a structure similar to City, a winning environment.

This is going to take at least until summer to do, people need to realise the problems at Arsenal are not just a quick fix, they're not just a case of tactics, we have personnel problems, player attitude and skill problems, work ethic issues, backroom staff issues the lot.

Arteta has been brought into to be more than a Head Coach, he's been brought in to advise the board between him and Edu on how to "build" a competitve football club, Raul and the Kroenkes want him in to steer this broken ship back to the right path.

This could take 2 seasons by the time we get the players who have downed tools for AFC out of the club and for Arteta to make the changes to the Support staff of who's here for a jolly up and swap them for hard working drill sargents.

Arteta has 1.5 seasons with me and all I want to see along the way are the right decisions, a decent style of football and identity.

Unai lost me when he couldn't even nail down an identity / formation and starting 11.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby theHotHead » Thu Dec 26, 2019 8:20 am

I think top 4 is perfectly acceptable provided we stop shipping stupid goals, which is a realistic expectation. This can be achieved by getting the players to do the basics right, which Arteta will be focusing on.

Top 4, here we come.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby starmandb » Sun Dec 29, 2019 11:16 am

Angelito wrote:
Özim wrote:We need to win the EL, we got to the final with an inferior team last season, so no reason why we shouldn't be able to win it if the manager is doing a good job. Yes we've had a terrible run, but that's basically been because of terrible management.

Arteta doesn't get a free pass because he's a rookie, we didn't choose to have him, the board did, most fans wanted someone top class.

Emery failed on three accounts at Arsenal:

- Destroyed our identity;
- Horrible people-management;
- A tactical mess.

It's 18 months of carnage. You don't go around winning the club's first ever major European trophy (EL/UCL) under such circumstances.

Arsenal won the intercity fairs cup in 1970
And the European cup winners cup in 1994
starmandb
Member of the Year 2018, 2020
Member of the Year 2018, 2020

Postby VCC » Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:22 am

starmandb wrote:
Angelito wrote:
Özim wrote:We need to win the EL, we got to the final with an inferior team last season, so no reason why we shouldn't be able to win it if the manager is doing a good job. Yes we've had a terrible run, but that's basically been because of terrible management.

Arteta doesn't get a free pass because he's a rookie, we didn't choose to have him, the board did, most fans wanted someone top class.

Emery failed on three accounts at Arsenal:

- Destroyed our identity;
- Horrible people-management;
- A tactical mess.

It's 18 months of carnage. You don't go around winning the club's first ever major European trophy (EL/UCL) under such circumstances.

Arsenal won the intercity fairs cup in 1970
And the European cup winners cup in 1994

Noticed this also
Sad how many times it appears that Arsenal did not exist prior to AW, that is how many comments appear on this forum, just because AW never won a european trophy does not mean it hadn't happened......and is also why many of us have a tremendous respect for GG and what he achieved.
VCC
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby PairyGrows » Wed Jan 01, 2020 12:10 pm

What's acceptable for Arteta this season is avoiding relegation. Next season, it will be acceptable if we finish in the top seven.
PairyGrows
Ian Wright
Ian Wright

Postby jayramfootball » Wed Jan 01, 2020 12:29 pm

Top half and next year top 6,
But, far more importantly, a radical overhaul of the squad - dumping at least 15 players and rebuilding from the ground up over the next 3-4 seasons so that in 5 years we're ready to have a run at top 4 and the 5 years following we're ready to challenge for the title.

That said, it will be clear very soon if Arteta is capable. I will give Arteta to the end of the summer transfer window before I know with 100% certainty if he will fail or not...perhaps even sooner.. because it will be a bad sign if we see us once again wait until the end of the window and have half the squad not ready to start the season.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Ach » Wed Jan 01, 2020 12:41 pm

I'd take 17th. No chance of a trophy in either cup competition we have left. I don't think we'll go down this season but next season.... Well that's for another thread
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby Jedi » Wed Jan 01, 2020 3:39 pm

Remaining fixtures:
21. M Utd (H) - loss/draw
22. Crystal Palace (A) - draw/win
23. Sheffield (H) - draw
24. Chelsea (A) - Loss
25. Burnley (A) - draw
26. Newcastle (H) - win
27. Everton (H) - draw/win
28. M City (A) - loss
29. West Ham (H) - win
30. Brighton (A) - draw/win
31. Southampton (A) - draw/win
32. Norwich (H) - win
33. Wolves (A) - loss/draw
34. Leicester (H) - draw/win
35. Tottenham (A) - draw
36. Liverpool (H) - loss
37. Aston Villa (A) - draw
38. Watford (H) - win

That's anywhere from 45 to 57 points for the end of the season, so midtable 7th to 14th finish. That's what i expect this season.
Jedi
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby Pat Rice in Short Shorts » Wed Jan 01, 2020 5:38 pm

Jedi wrote:Remaining fixtures:
21. M Utd (H) - loss/draw
22. Crystal Palace (A) - draw/win
23. Sheffield (H) - draw
24. Chelsea (A) - Loss
25. Burnley (A) - draw
26. Newcastle (H) - win
27. Everton (H) - draw/win
28. M City (A) - loss
29. West Ham (H) - win
30. Brighton (A) - draw/win
31. Southampton (A) - draw/win
32. Norwich (H) - win
33. Wolves (A) - loss/draw
34. Leicester (H) - draw/win
35. Tottenham (A) - draw
36. Liverpool (H) - loss
37. Aston Villa (A) - draw
38. Watford (H) - win

That's anywhere from 45 to 57 points for the end of the season, so midtable 7th to 14th finish. That's what i expect this season.

Trying to predict results half a season out only leads to tears.

One match, three pints and move on the next opportunity. On the bright side everyone right above are shit too.
He/His/Non-Menstruater/Postmenopausal/non-vaginal male. Yup all man!
Pat Rice in Short Shorts
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby DiamondGooner » Wed Jan 01, 2020 5:49 pm

I think he should go full out for the Europa League, if he managed to win that he'd of salvaged a miserable season.

There's no reason we can't win it if he starts getting the team to perform.

Other than that I want the identity Arteta is trying to implement in place fully for the start of next season and with better players in the needed areas, why we're fielding so many youngsters in the first team is a disgrace.

The only player who is worthy of first team selection is Martinelli.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Jedi » Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:38 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:I think he should go full out for the Europa League, if he managed to win that he'd of salvaged a miserable season.

There's no reason we can't win it if he starts getting the team to perform.

Other than that I want the identity Arteta is trying to implement in place fully for the start of next season and with better players in the needed areas, why we're fielding so many youngsters in the first team is a disgrace.

The only player who is worthy of first team selection is Martinelli.

I agree. Europa is winnable and should be prioritized as such. As for the league, we're only 3 points behind Tottenham. There's your objective. A finish above them would be great to lift the spirit if we don't manage to grab a cup.
Jedi
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby Fenice » Tue Jan 07, 2020 3:48 pm

EL champions. That’s all that’s reasonable.
Fenice
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby DiamondGooner » Tue Jan 07, 2020 3:54 pm

Saibotkram88 wrote:People expecting top 4.. You are the reason why the football world thinks our fanbase is delusional. We have no right now to be in the top spots. We won't be either...
Be patient. We at the least have a project worth investing in now.

I'm not expecting top 4, right now I'd rather prioritize winning the EL however it is feasable if we won all our games from now till end of season we could nick top 4 so I wouldn't completely write it off its just .......... unlikely.

We hampered our top 4 position way to much this season to expect it as a demand for Arteta, that much I agree with.

I hope he goes full leather for the EL though, if we got to the final last year under Emery I think Arteta could go one better
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby StLGooner » Tue Jan 07, 2020 4:08 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:
Saibotkram88 wrote:People expecting top 4.. You are the reason why the football world thinks our fanbase is delusional. We have no right now to be in the top spots. We won't be either...
Be patient. We at the least have a project worth investing in now.

I'm not expecting top 4, right now I'd rather prioritize winning the EL however it is feasable if we won all our games from now till end of season we could nick top 4 so I wouldn't completely write it off its just .......... unlikely.

We hampered our top 4 position way to much this season to expect it as a demand for Arteta, that much I agree with.

I hope he goes full leather for the EL though, if we got to the final last year under Emery I think Arteta could go one better

What he said. Don't think anyone is expecting 4th, but it's still possible, although probably unlikely.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Dejan » Tue Jan 07, 2020 4:11 pm

Unless im missing something, we lost every game against the top 4 this season and probably last season aswell.

Our team right now isnt good enough for top 4

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G935F met Tapatalk
Rest in Peace SE13 :(
Dejan
SE13
SE13

Previous

Return to Arsenal Talk