The Players : Are they good enough?

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: The Players : Are they good enough?

Postby StLGooner » Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:18 pm

Did anyone say our players were shit before the season started? I thought most were happy with the squad and the transfer window?
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby DiamondGooner » Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:20 pm

StLGooner wrote:Did anyone say our players were shit before the season started? I thought most were happy with the squad and the transfer window?

.................. yeah, but then they started playing.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby StLGooner » Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:22 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:
StLGooner wrote:Did anyone say our players were shit before the season started? I thought most were happy with the squad and the transfer window?

Under Emery
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby DiamondGooner » Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:28 pm

StLGooner wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:

Under Emery

Where they've been hiding way too much, a lot of these guys were crap under Wenger as well, so how many excuses are they going to get.

Skills aside, this groups attitude is all sorts of wrong, they actually think they are elite level and they're doing us a favor by playing for the club when hardly any of them are.

Whenever our top players go to elite teams like Barca, City or Liverpool they barely get into the team, we are low brow and make heroes out of average players to our detriment.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby StLGooner » Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:31 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:
StLGooner wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:

Under Emery

Where they've been hiding way too much, a lot of these guys were crap under Wenger as well, so how many excuses are they going to get.

Skills aside, this groups attitude is all sorts of wrong, they actually think they are elite level and they're doing us a favor by playing for the club when hardly any of them are.

Whenever our top players go to elite teams like Barca, City or Liverpool they barely get into the team, we are low brow and make heroes out of average players to our detriment.

Like I said before, some are underperforming, some aren't good enough. But we still have a good enough squad to battle for 4th imo and maybe we still will. But everyone for the most part was happy with our players, but when Emery couldn't do his job good enough, then the Emery apologist have to find a new excuse to back their boy. So here we are.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby DiamondGooner » Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:45 pm

StLGooner wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:
StLGooner wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:

Under Emery

Like I said before, some are underperforming, some aren't good enough. But we still have a good enough squad to battle for 4th imo and maybe we still will. But everyone for the most part was happy with our players, but when Emery couldn't do his job good enough, then the Emery apologist have to find a new excuse to back their boy. So here we are.

What a load of bollocks.

Emery is gone, what would be the point in sticking up for a dead man? he's not coming back, there are no points to be won in doing that, you've always mistaken them for the type of fan a Wengerite is and I've been telling you for a year its not the same at all ........... how many forum members are still pinning for or defending Emery?
Dejan, UFGN, Nuggets, everyone, all of them ditched Emery back in October when it was obvious he had regressed and wasn't improving.

The reason people were happy with the squad is because we thought .............

Bellerin
Willock
Pepe
Torreira
Sokratis
Ozil
Lacazette
Saka
Holding

Would all be better than they are, all of the above are under performing even compared to last year, some like Willock and Saka are just not ready or not good enough and getting by on youth sympathy.

Then you have the obvious candidates.

Xhaka, Mustafi, Kolasanic, Luiz etc who we knew wouldn't cut the mustard anyway.

That's a pretty fked squad, whether they are under performing simply because of Emery is for them to prove, he's gone now so its over to them.

As I said we have a major attitude problem in our squad, you say they're good enough for 4th but we're getting turned over by Prem teams at the bottom of the league, we've not won a game in 8 games.

The players have simply downed tools and you can't do that in the Premier league.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby StLGooner » Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:46 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:
StLGooner wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:
StLGooner wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:

Under Emery

What a load of bollocks.

Emery is gone, what would be the point in sticking up for a dead man? he's not coming back, there are no points to be won in doing that, you've always mistaken them for the type of fan a Wengerite is and I've been telling you for a year its not the same at all ........... how many forum members are still pinning for or defending Emery?
Dejan, UFGN, Nuggets, everyone, all of them ditched Emery back in October when it was obvious he had regressed and wasn't improving.

Bellerin
Willock
Pepe
Torreira
Sokratis
Ozil
Lacazette
Saka
Holding

Would all be better than they are, all of the above are under performing even compared to last year, some like Willock and Saka are just not ready or not good enough and getting by on youth sympathy.

Xhaka, Mustafi, Kolasanic, Luiz etc who we knew wouldn't cut the mustard anyway.

That's a pretty fked squad, whether they are under performing simply because of Emery is for them to prove, he's gone now so its over to them.

As I said we have a major attitude problem in our squad, you say they're good enough for 4th but we're getting turned over by Prem teams at the bottom of the league, we've not won a game in 8 games.

The players have simply downed tools and you can't do that in the Premier league.

Because some people don't like to be wrong, or admit they might be. Pretty simple.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby DiamondGooner » Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:54 pm

................. yet all of the ones I mentioned already have admitted they were wrong about Emery? or more that he hasn't worked out how they hoped he would.

At this point Emery has nothing to do with this.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby StLGooner » Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:59 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:................. yet all of the ones I mentioned already have admitted they were wrong about Emery? or more that he hasn't worked out how they hoped he would.

At this point Emery has nothing to do with this.

Well then good, glad they finally admitted it. Now on to admitting that these players are good enough to battle for 4th. Unfortunately we won't find that out this season, or ever.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby theHotHead » Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:54 pm

I am not willing to judge certain players because Wenger was so shit and Emery was a complete tool. Looking at basics:

Leno - has future
Bellerin - not good enough
Sokratis - not sure
Mustafi - not good enough
Holding - not sure
Kolasinac - not sure
Luiz - as a DM I think he has a future
Torreira - has a future
Chambers not good enough
Guendouzi - has a future
Willock - not sure
Xhaka - not good enough
Ozil - has a future
Tierney - has a future
Saka - not sure
Martinelli - has a future
Pepe - has a future
Auba - has a future
Nelson - not good enough
Laca - has a future
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby Power n Glory » Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:02 pm

Dejan wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:Too early for this. We need to see what Freddie can do with this squad and if he doesn't get the job it's a case of waiting again to see what the new manager can do.

Nobody would have said Leicester City was a top 4 candidate over the summer. A good manager can make a world of difference.

To be honest I think it's the players that make the most difference.

With one training session, Freddie managed to get these players playing possession based football. We created more chances for an away game compared to what we managed under Emery. Again, that's just under one training session. We were comfortably playing the ball out from the back and bypassing the press and that's with Xhaka on the pitch. After 18 months of Emery, not once did we look that comfortable playing the ball out from deep that way.

Freddie will need some time and realistically, they are not going to buy a whole new squad in January. Because we're in limbo, our January transfer strategy is a bit of a mess. Players are key but we need to establish what the new manager can do and what he can't with this lot. We're coming out of a toxic management situation with Emery the dust needs to settle. We've seen how bad management can make Eden Hazard and Salah look bad. We've seen how poor management can have people overlook the talent of De Bruyne and allow such a player to leave. I'm sure the Board will allow more time before making sweeping changes.
What?

We had 61% posession, a rate that we had many times and more this season. Its not like we created a shitload either. 4 out of 7 shot on target came from dead situations (penalties and corners)

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G920F met Tapatalk

My bad, it was a record number of shots for an away game and I think XG. But if you watched the game, you'd notice how much more comfortable we were in possession and keeping the ball in our opponents half for the first 45 minutes.

But as said, I'm waiting to see how the players react under Emery. We have 7 games left until it's January and I doubt we'll make any major signings.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby coach8smallball » Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:03 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:
StLGooner wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:
StLGooner wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:

Under Emery

What a load of bollocks.

Bellerin - was happy because he finally learned how to put in a cross.....still struggles with defending but he progressed before getting hurt
Willock - showed promise but still unproven
Pepe - finally an attacking winger with pace and dribbles but now confidence is shaken or work rate it bad
Torreira - finally got a true DCM with passion and work rate, not worldly but serviceable. played out of position by emery
Sokratis - shows grit we've haven't had in a while and passionate.....now boneheaded mistakes are the norm with yellow being his favorite color
Ozil - has the horses in front of him to serve to.....got frozen out by emery
Lacazette - passionate and works. I think he can still come good
Saka - potential and started off strong.....since has fizzled out and lacks physicality
Holding - undone by injury. before that looked the part and played with confidence. needs time to get it back I believe

Xhaka, Mustafi, Kolasanic, Luiz etc who we knew wouldn't cut the mustard anyway. - need to be rid of now

That's a pretty fked squad, whether they are under performing simply because of Emery is for them to prove, he's gone now so its over to them. - exactly, and in their first game with FL, they were pathetic

outside of ozil, auba, laca, leno and martinelli (and torreira if he's played properly in place of xhaka), I don't see how we can compete to be top 4. the list grows of players that need to be cut and bring in better players before we even consider top 4.
cheers!
--tank
coach8smallball
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby jayramfootball » Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:47 pm

Yeah, I did.
I've known for some time our players are way way below par and have said that we needed to get rid of at least 15, probably 20.
That is STILL the case.
We have 6 or 7 players that we should keep (and some of those are based on potential) - the rest are not good enough.
Trouble is, we're going to find it hard to keep the good ones and hard to get of the dross. That is what happens to a declining club. We left it too long to get rid of Wenger (by about 10 years) and we;re going to suffer for that for a long time so we may as well go for a big change now and accept mid table for a couple of seasins with younger talent that can develop and be built upoin season upon season.
Last edited by jayramfootball on Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby StLGooner » Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:51 pm

jayramfootball wrote:

Yeah, I did.
I've known for some time our players are way way below par and have said that we needed to get rid of at least 15, probably 20.
That is STILL the case.
We have 6 or 7 players that we should keep (and some of those are based on potential) - the rest are not good enough.
Trouble is, we're going to find it hard to keep the good ones and hard to get of the dross. That is what happens to a declining club.

Yea but you don't count cause you thought a Golden Boot winner was shit. ;)
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby yadunoe » Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:56 pm

StLGooner wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:

Yeah, I did.
That is STILL the case.
Trouble is, we're going to find it hard to keep the good ones and hard to get of the dross. That is what happens to a declining club.

Yea but you don't count cause you thought a Golden Boot winner was shit. ;)

the only problem with arsenal is stan kroenke ive said this before wenger and i will say it till the day he sells this club . ever since he bought arsenal and made emirates we have gone down hill and will continue to do so because he doesnt care about this club
yadunoe
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk