The Players : Are they good enough?

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: The Players : Are they good enough?

Postby Tubbs » Sat Dec 07, 2019 3:41 pm

We were left in a state by Wenger and obviously having the owners we’ve got that didn’t help,
When we started to rot under Wenger we shut have cut off the rotting limb then and got in some fresh management and staff but instead we left it to fester and now the whole club is infected
Tubbs
Charlie George
Charlie George

Postby StLGooner » Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:28 pm

jayramfootball wrote:
StLGooner wrote:These players are drastically underperforming. They aren't this bad. They are making the most basic of errors and you don't get to this level of football being that bad. I don't care if they are good enough to battle for 4th or not, either way, they are underperforming. The errors they are making are basic schoolboy stuff and nobody can convince me that these players have been that bad for that long or are that bad.

They are not making basic errors because they underperforming. That is their level. This is most obvious with players that have come through our youth system or been with us since they were young. They have not learned the basics. Take Bellerin as an example. He simply doesn't understand how to defend. Being out of position is a given for him - he doesn't know where to be or what to look out for. He's not the only one.

We over rate our players but the truth is that very few of them would get in the City, Spurs, Liverpool, Chelsea teams.

We have a 6th to 12th in the league level squad. It's been like it for a while. We've been shielded somewhat by reputation. At out place, teams would come to defend which meant we picked up a lot of points. Now other teams have realised just how bad we are and a trip to the Emirates is a chance for 3 points for every single team in the league.

As per usual, I disagree with you. I don't overrate our players. You mistake me for the average poster here. I know we need better, however, I also know these players are better than they are playing. I've seen it. I've seen them play consistently better. And so has the football world. Form isn't permanent.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Losmeister » Tue Dec 10, 2019 6:54 pm

jayramfootball wrote:Much has been discussed about managers and who would be good enough to take the reins.
From the players the new manager has to work with who's good enough?

Leno - Yes No
Martinez - Yes agree
Macey - Maybe agree

Bellerin - No agree
Tierney - Maybe agree
Sokratis - Maybe No
Holding - No M aybe
Mustafi - No agree
Chambers - No agree
Luiz - No agree
Mavropanos - No agree
Kolasinac - No

Ceballos - No Maybe
Ozil - Maybe No
Torriera - Yes agree
Maitland Niles - No agree
Willock - No maybe
Guendouzi - Yes maybe
Smith-Rowe - Maybe no
Xhaka - No no

Lacazette - Yes agree
Aubamayang - Yes agree
Pepe - Maybe agree
Nelson - No agree
Martinelli - Yes agree
Saka - Maybe agree

I only count 7 definate yes's out of the whole 1st team squad - none in defence.

Too harsh?
It's actually depressing listing out our players and seeing how bad this squad is.
:dontknow:

its bad
Kai Havertz nutmegged ur GK
Losmeister
George Graham
George Graham

Postby theHotHead » Tue Dec 10, 2019 6:58 pm

StLGooner wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
StLGooner wrote:These players are drastically underperforming. They aren't this bad. They are making the most basic of errors and you don't get to this level of football being that bad. I don't care if they are good enough to battle for 4th or not, either way, they are underperforming. The errors they are making are basic schoolboy stuff and nobody can convince me that these players have been that bad for that long or are that bad.

They are not making basic errors because they underperforming. That is their level. This is most obvious with players that have come through our youth system or been with us since they were young. They have not learned the basics. Take Bellerin as an example. He simply doesn't understand how to defend. Being out of position is a given for him - he doesn't know where to be or what to look out for. He's not the only one.

We over rate our players but the truth is that very few of them would get in the City, Spurs, Liverpool, Chelsea teams.

We have a 6th to 12th in the league level squad. It's been like it for a while. We've been shielded somewhat by reputation. At out place, teams would come to defend which meant we picked up a lot of points. Now other teams have realised just how bad we are and a trip to the Emirates is a chance for 3 points for every single team in the league.

This is the bottom line. The players are capable of much better than we are seeing now and what we saw under Wenger. I can't believe people think otherwise LOOOL. With the same players last season we had one hand around 4th place - until that numnutz emery decided to commit suicide with his bag of foolish decisions.

As per usual, I disagree with you. I don't overrate our players. You mistake me for the average poster here. I know we need better, however, I also know these players are better than they are playing. I've seen it. I've seen them play consistently better. And so has the football world. Form isn't permanent.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby DiamondGooner » Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:01 pm

We need a whole new defence bar Left backs.

We need additions to midfield, mainly a Ramsey replacement and I wouldn't mind an imposing CDM.

We could use one more winger.

............. so yes, unfortunately for the lads with a defence that poor they won't be good enough.

AFC gambled on the defence getting a cheap Ruiz while we wait for the young lad to come in, when really we need a further two more CB's.

This defence has been undoing any good work our capable offence has been doing all season and this will continue.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Santi » Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:36 pm

Got Ruiz on the brain? :rofll:

Luiz was a f***ing shocking signing though Jesus, was hoping he could turn out alright with his passing and maybe play more at DM but he’s been as awful as I first expected so far. Gonna be a lot of pressure on Salina when he arrives, hopefully we get a top class experienced player to support him and drop the rest. Holding can stay as 3rd choice.

Midfield needs 5 new players.
Last edited by Santi on Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby Fenice » Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:37 pm

Sokratis was a must win now buy. Luiz was the same. Now that we are doing poorly, and neither are the answer, we are stuck. Should have just coughed up a bit more money for a decent CB instead of Luiz. Since we are stuck though, I wouldn't mind seeing him in the middle a bit with two solid CBs behind him, that would be fine enough.
Fenice
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby ag6789 » Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:53 pm

We don't eat bench full of CBs like ManCity have medios. We need a defensive strategy and ease the younger defenders into it. Defenders need a proper mindset and descipline , and it can be practiced. AFC did it before w/Adams, Bould, Keown , Dixon all became top class due to the system. They weren't all individually brilliant or born defenders.
ag6789
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby DiamondGooner » Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:57 pm

Fenice wrote:Sokratis was a must win now buy. Luiz was the same. Now that we are doing poorly, and neither are the answer, we are stuck. Should have just coughed up a bit more money for a decent CB instead of Luiz. Since we are stuck though, I wouldn't mind seeing him in the middle a bit with two solid CBs behind him, that would be fine enough.

Well January is right round the corner, no reason why the board can't at least get us one CB.

CB's aren't even that expensive if you know where to look.

All the CB's who have come up from the Championship are out performing ours. we don't have to be going for marquee names just ones who can do the job properly.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby ag6789 » Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:04 pm

Need for eat...
ag6789
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby themessiah » Sun Dec 15, 2019 6:23 pm

A bit of a rant.

IMO a pure, tall and physical DM is as important as a centre half. Guendouzi is always on the floor, and Torreira, despite the hunger, is not made for the PL. Holding should only play cup games because simply not at the PL level.

Our midfield used to be our biggest strength in the Emirates era. We had players like Cazorla, Ramsey, Cesc, Nasri, Song, Coquelin, Wilshere, even Diaby who all had something to offer. We had technicality, physicality, stamina and pride. But we have lost all of it.

What do we have today in the middle? Torreira and Ceballos who are not made for the PL, they'll probably leave at the end of the season. Xhaka who is not at the PL level, will leave in Jan imo. Willock and Guendouzi, too young. Ozil, overpaid and not hungry for anything anymore.

Sokratis has experience but lacks quality.
Luiz has won everything with Chelsea and PSG and isn't up for the fight anymore.
Chambers is not good enough to be in the starting 11 for PL games.

AMN is poor and lacks mentality.
Bellerin is injured but is good on his day.
Sead has improved recently but is also poor
Tierney is still adapting to the PL.
Torreira will leave the PL for Italy or Spain
Xhaka will leave too
Guendouzi is young and lacks , defensivie Positioning. Awareness.
physicality

Willock is too young but can become a okay player
Ozil is overpaid and lacks physicality and mentality
Pepe is Bit of a one trick pony - pace down to the byline and try cross a ball in. Not seen anything from him to justify his price tag so far.
Saka is also too young to rely on for regular PL games
Martinelli is very good
Auba and Laca will leave soon

Basically we're in big trouble.
Image Image
themessiah
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Marsbar100 » Mon Dec 16, 2019 1:01 am

Keepers Good

Defense horrific

Midfield bang average

Offense very good
Aaron Ramsey aka "The Drought Killer" 2008-2019
Marsbar100
Predictions League 2022-23 Winner
Predictions League 2022-23 Winner

Postby thebigbangtheo » Mon Dec 16, 2019 12:04 pm

I think its time we change the music before and after games to that classic from Madness, ' You're an embarrassment ' after yet another ground hog day. The chorus being sung with gusto at the players by the 28,638 in the stadium might hopefully garner some reaction.
thebigbangtheo
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Pat Rice in Short Shorts » Mon Dec 16, 2019 2:19 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_zbrxAQtoI

This is the guy we need to sign.
He/His/Non-Menstruater/Postmenopausal/non-vaginal male. Yup all man!
Pat Rice in Short Shorts
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Rerktyne » Mon Dec 16, 2019 6:55 pm

You're being to generous!
Rerktyne
Michael Thomas

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk