Arsenal heading for takeover

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Postby Benzoku » Fri Jun 08, 2007 2:57 am

I don't think Stan Kroenke taking over your team will bode well for it, in all likelihood.

I have my own selfish reasons for not wanting the takeover to happen. I posted about them, apparently in the wrong place :oops: in the rumors forum:

http://goonersworld.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=652&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=

I'm a fan of some of his other teams, especially the Denver Nuggets NBA team. Here's my take on it. He's buying up teams at a fairly frenetic pace. He bought the Nuggets, Colorado Avalanche (NHL team) and the Pepsi Center (the arena where both teams play) in 2000. Then he bought the U.S. Major League Soccer team the Colorado Rapids in 2003. Now he's going for the Arsenal takeover.

He's said repeatedly that he intends to make the Nugs and the Avs championship teams. And he's put some money behind backing that up. But he's at least as interested, if not MORE interested, in the expansion of his financial empire. And expansion into new territory always, without fail, means the tightening of the purse strings on the existing franchises.

In short, I don't have a problem if he wants to buy a new team in, say, 2013. But for now I really wish he'd focus his energy and resources (=$$$) on the teams he already owns, and really would work on making them the best teams possible. The Nuggets are poised right now to become championship contenders - IF he'll pay the luxury tax next year. If he decides he needs that money to buy Arsenal, then the Nuggets are doomed.

And if he does buy Arsenal, I'd suspect he'd set his sights on yet another team to buy and Arsenal would suffer the same fate as Denver.

Pure speculation on my part, but I guess the short version of my thoughts, as far as Arsenal is concerned, would be:

Don't expect just because Kroenke HAS billions that they will become YOUR billions, the team's billions, etc. I don't know him well, but he seems to me to be more of a businessman (as per the above article) than a sportsman who REALLY wants victory for his team(s).
Benzoku
Liam Brady

Hill-Wood holds Kroenke talks

Postby Piston Broke » Wed Jun 20, 2007 8:22 am

Sounds to me he wants to keep everyone happy for the moment and just help out by injecting some funds in sounds like it could all be quite amicable for now !

Arsenal chairman Peter Hill-Wood appears to be warming to American tycoon Stan Kroenke following a meeting this week.

The Gunners board were initially cautious of the Colorado Rapids owner, whose Sports Enterprises UK group holds a 12.19 per cent holding in the club.

Kroenke has been linked with a possible takeover of Arsenal ever since the shock exit of former vice-chairman David Dein in April.

Hill-Wood has previously made it clear that Kroenke's interest was unwanted, saying 'we don't need his money and we don't want his sort'.

However, he now looks willing to work with Kroenke as Arsenal aim to compete with the big-spending Chelsea, Liverpool and Manchester United.

Hill-Wood and Arsenal managing director Keith Edelman held face-to-face talks with Kroenke in New York this week and they were apparently fruitful.

"It went perfectly well," said Hill-Wood.

"I hope we will be able to work with him in the future just as we would with any interested people."
Piston Broke
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby She_Gunner_Wales » Wed Jun 20, 2007 5:03 pm

See that more as a bit of a sweetener to get teh whole board onside....still the way i see things is that along with Kroenke, we get Dein back.....in an ideal world. ;)
She_Gunner_Wales
Graphics Team

Postby Piston Broke » Tue Jun 26, 2007 8:21 am

this is why Kroenke should of been allowed in

Kroenke urges Arsenal to re-sign Wenger
tribalfooball.com - June 25, 2007

Arsenal shareholder Stan Kroenke is demanding the board make it a priority to secure manager Arsene Wenger to a new contract.

The Daily Mail says Kroenke has already expressed his dissatisfaction over Thierry Henry's departure and told the Arsenal board they must make it their priority to secure Wenger's future.

Kroenke, who paid £50million for a 12.19 per cent stake in the club two months ago, has now requested a meeting with leading shareholder Danny Fiszman.

The American businessman and sports mogul met chairman Peter Hill-Wood and managing director Keith Edelman in New York only 10 days ago, but now wants a better idea of the club's plans for the future.

Kroenke is being strongly linked with a takeover of Arsenal but the billionaire, whose offer to fund signings in the transfer market this summer was turned down by Hill-Wood and Edelman, is concerned over the direction the club are taking.

He'd never of let Thierry go & Would of spent to keep him here as well + Wenger & probably brought tevez ect.

And what have we got instead ? f***ing Fiszman makes me sick
Piston Broke
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby She_Gunner_Wales » Tue Jun 26, 2007 8:45 am

I briefly mentioned something of the takeover in the Anelka thread
Its rumoured that Fiszman will sell more of his shares to Kroneke,, as it was his shares that Kroenke had bought along with the 9.9% ITV shares.

Ive made a major u-turn on my opinion of this, at 1st i did not want a takeover now, if we are to compete it HAS to happen, no doubt about it.
She_Gunner_Wales
Graphics Team

Previous

Return to Arsenal Talk