Too French again?

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: Too French again?

Postby Arsenal Tone » Tue Aug 06, 2019 5:46 am

The thing I'm liking isn't nationality or skin colour, its height. I'd be interested to see the average height of our squad on AW's last day in charge vs the average height once deadline day comes.
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby Nuggets » Tue Aug 06, 2019 5:49 am

Tony_Adams wrote:The thing I'm liking isn't nationality or skin colour, its height. I'd be interested to see the average height of our squad on AW's last day in charge vs the average height once deadline day comes.

We have our share of oompa loompa's in the team. :biggrin:
Nuggets
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner

Postby VCC » Tue Aug 06, 2019 6:15 am

Arsenal has been too French for far too long at the wrong end of the pitch, French strikers seem to be a good thing for Arsenal but defenders are far too soft
VCC
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby theHotHead » Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:27 am

CynicalGooner wrote:
theHotHead wrote:Our first double winning squad had:
Vieira, Petit, Anelka and Grimandi as regular starters.

Our second double winning squad had:
Vieria, Pires, Wiltord, Henry and Grimandi as regular starters.

Our Invincibles squad had:
Vieira, Pires and Henry as regular starters.

I suspect the key here is in "young French talent", by that i suspect you mean the likes of Clichy, Alliadiere and whoever else I can't remember, because if you are talking anything else, you need to go see a doctor and check your mental health bruh.

No I'm saying that I think there comes a tipping point where you have too many French players in your squad. Maybe you all have short memories but 10 years ago this was a talking point not just among pundits but fans as well. Arsenal were brittle and there was a clear correlation and everyone could see it.

I'm not saying every French player is weak minded, lazy and stroppy - but guess what for every Vieira or Sagna that we've had, we've had a Clichy, Cygan, Gallas, Giroud, Nasri, Anelka, Diaby.. the list goes on and on and on

the reason we wewre brittle wasn't because we had too many French players it was because Wenger was a bloody idiot and refused to strengthen key areas of the team, the spine of the team was weak and we had no leaders. The problem was the players Wenger was (or was not in this case) buying.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby Phil71 » Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:45 am

BS221B wrote:How about Theo Walcott, gooney?

He was a half white half black experiment.

Dr Wenger created him in his genetic race comparison lab.

Unfortunately he forgot to put a brain in. Much like gooney's creator.
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby Diablo » Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:31 am

gooney wrote:We are becoming black again.....wengers biggest mistake was he made the team too white. Yes i said it

Wenger played just as many black players as he did during his successful years. The only difference was they just weren’t very good.

Eboue
Djourou
Denilson
Adebayor
Gervinho
Diaby
Gallas
Clichy
Song
Hoyte
Silvestre
Traore
Coquelin
Frimpong
Joel Campbell
Sanogo
Diablo
Michael Thomas

Postby StLGooner » Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:44 am

Sims wrote:
UFGN wrote:
Sims wrote:Stereotyping players cos of where they were born is pretty wild

It’s like saying all Armenians must be shit at football cos Mkhitaryan is from there

It would be a fair and reasonable assumption considering he is widely aknowlaged as Armenia's greatest ever player

Jesus

Thought he was Jewish? :think:
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby StLGooner » Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:47 am

Probably could use some more American steel to be honest. Too bad all our players are shit.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Power n Glory » Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:57 am

Nothing to do with French players. Wenger just lost his eye for talent, player development and had poor management skills in a crisis. You'd be a fool to turn down Kante, Mbappe, Dembele, Griezmann.....
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby theHotHead » Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:50 pm

Diablo wrote:
gooney wrote:We are becoming black again.....wengers biggest mistake was he made the team too white. Yes i said it

Wenger played just as many black players as he did during his successful years. The only difference was they just weren’t very good.

Eboue
Djourou
Denilson
Adebayor
Gervinho
Diaby
Gallas
Clichy
Song
Hoyte
Silvestre
Traore
Coquelin
Frimpong
Joel Campbell
Sanogo

Eboue was a brilliant RB, so not sure why you included him in your list of not very good black players. Wenger experimented and f***ked up his career, playing him as a RM. No way Eboue was a bad RB.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby UFGN » Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:12 pm

theHotHead wrote:
Diablo wrote:

Eboue
Djourou
Denilson
Adebayor
Gervinho
Diaby
Gallas
Clichy
Song
Hoyte
Silvestre
Traore
Coquelin
Frimpong
Joel Campbell
Sanogo

Eboue was a brilliant RB, so not sure why you included him in your list of not very good black players. Wenger experimented and f***ked up his career, playing him as a RM. No way Eboue was a bad RB.

He was average at best.
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN
Member of the Year 2014, 2019
Member of the Year 2014, 2019

Postby StLGooner » Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:15 pm

I think people loved Eboue's likeable attitude so much they mistaken him for being a good player. He was one of the biggest divers we've ever had and was seriously embarrassing at times when on the pitch and rolling around like he got shot. I still like the guy because of his infectious attitude, but he was normally an embarrassment when he played. I know that won't sit well with some, but he was far from a good player.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Va-Va-Voom » Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:20 pm

Eboue was shithouse, especially compared to his predecessor Lauren and his successor Sagna.
Va-Va-Voom
Member of the Year 2015
Member of the Year 2015

Postby Royal Gooner » Tue Aug 06, 2019 2:55 pm

StLGooner wrote:I think people loved Eboue's likeable attitude so much they mistaken him for being a good player. He was one of the biggest divers we've ever had and was seriously embarrassing at times when on the pitch and rolling around like he got shot. I still like the guy because of his infectious attitude, but he was normally an embarrassment when he played. I know that won't sit well with some, but he was far from a good player.

He did win us the free kick that we scored from in the 2006 CL final....
Royal Gooner
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby Diablo » Tue Aug 06, 2019 2:58 pm

theHotHead wrote:
Diablo wrote:

Eboue
Djourou
Denilson
Adebayor
Gervinho
Diaby
Gallas
Clichy
Song
Hoyte
Silvestre
Traore
Coquelin
Frimpong
Joel Campbell
Sanogo

Eboue was a brilliant RB, so not sure why you included him in your list of not very good black players. Wenger experimented and f***ked up his career, playing him as a RM. No way was a bad RB.

Of all the players to defend in that list you choose Eboue???! Really?!
Diablo
Michael Thomas

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk