Edu Gaspar, Sporting Director

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: OFFICIAL: Edu appointed as Technical Director

Postby Emeryates » Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:15 am

INVINCIBLE SEASON INCOMING
Emeryates
Charlie George
Charlie George

Postby DiamondGooner » Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:08 am

What if Edu's vision of a player isn't what Emery wants for his team?

I do find this quite an odd way of doing things.

The reason Fergie and Wenger were successful were because they hand picked players they wanted for their vision of the team.
I get scouts who report to the manager or a manger who sits down with a group and hashes out targets but to have a guy who is literally in charge of picking targets outside of the managers purview ..............

That might work for big teams because hey with that kind of money its not hard to throw big money at big talent and it work out.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby swipe right » Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:16 am

Angelito wrote:
Tony_Adams wrote:Even after reading an article explaining his role I still don't get what edu will be doing.

Take Arsene Wenger's role until circa 2015 and split it into two. You have Unai Emery as the first team head coach and Edu as Emery's supervisor and colleague who will help in setting up the infrastructure, establish goals for the academy, work towards getting a profile of players that fits the way Arsenal play, and act as an intermediary between the upper heads and the coaching department.

That's in principle.

Simply put, Sanllehi is taking over Gazidis' old job, with Vinai handling the business aspects, and Edu is taking over Sanllehi's old job. Among others, the scouts at Arsenal would directly be reporting to Edu.

swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Fran Solo » Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:15 am

Zedie wrote:Hes not changed one bit since he was here before.

Yeah. Lol.
Fran Solo
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Sims » Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:40 am

DiamondGooner wrote:What if Edu's vision of a player isn't what Emery wants for his team?

The reason Fergie and Wenger were successful were because they hand picked players they wanted for their vision of the team.
I get scouts who report to the manager or a manger who sits down with a group and hashes out targets but to have a guy who is literally in charge of picking targets outside of the managers purview ..............

That might work for big teams because hey with that kind of money its not hard to throw big money at big talent and it work out.

So that we’re not lumped with managers favourites who turn out to be shit

Imagine if we signed Denis Suarez permanently
Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

Postby jayramfootball » Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:45 am

He still looks like he could play - could we have a player technical director? Has to be better than Xhaka.

Overmars would have been a better choice for TD, though.
Last edited by jayramfootball on Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Zedie » Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:59 am

Sims wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:What if Edu's vision of a player isn't what Emery wants for his team?

So that we’re not lumped with managers favourites who turn out to be shit

Imagine if we signed Denis Suarez permanently

We fought not to get suarez with an obligation to buy. We got him on loan too, it's not like we were dying to have him otherwise hed be a permanent player.

We signed shares because we had f**k all money.
Zedie
SE13
SE13

Postby PairyGrows » Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:51 am

In an ideal world, the club would have a vision about the type of football they aspired to play. They would then recruit managers and directors of football who were able to fulfil that vision.

Whether Edu's and Emery's visions are similar and whether the club has a vision remains to be seen.
PairyGrows
Ian Wright
Ian Wright

Postby Emeryates » Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:06 am

I don't get this Denis Suarez thing. If Emery supposedly wanted him, why didn't he play him?
Emeryates
Charlie George
Charlie George

Postby Power n Glory » Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:14 am

I guess it's a good way to ensure the club has a football identity and style that isn't just determined by the manager and you're not left with an unbalanced team once that manager leaves.

For us, it makes sense because we can't really afford a rebuild job for every manager like we've seen with some other clubs. We can't destroy and rebuild as quickly as some other clubs. Heck, when looking at Chelsea, they're not even doing that anymore. Most managers are being told to still work with the old team left behind.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby jayramfootball » Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:23 am

Emeryates wrote:I don't get this Denis Suarez thing. If Emery supposedly wanted him, why didn't he play him?

It must be that he sucked in training.
In his very fleeting appearances, he looked ok.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Power n Glory » Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:32 am

Suarez did an interview and said he was never match fit at Arsenal despite training with the club for a while. He was coming back from injury and it sounded like fitness training was mismanaged. I think that's partly why Darren Burgess was fired as Director of High Performance.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby theHotHead » Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:25 pm

UFGN wrote:Put a tie on FFS, youre a director of Arsenal Football Club

LOL - you Philistine !!
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby theHotHead » Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:27 pm

Isn't that the case at all clubs that have a Technical Director ? What happens if the Director's vision is different to the manager/head coach's ? My guess is the Technical Director is the manager's boss so Edu would get his way, right ???
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby Fenice » Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:15 pm

Edu, as far as I’m aware, is, and should be the last word on talent.
Fenice
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk