Edu Gaspar, Sporting Director

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: Edu Gaspar, Technical Director

Postby Power n Glory » Thu Jul 15, 2021 8:22 pm

ag6789 wrote:Didn't see a lot of talent during the Copa. Actually was a step below the Euros in every way.
Neither Brazil or Argentina and other power houses ( Chile, Uruguay, etc) showcased much talent other than the established ones.
So Edu can be absolved as far as talent unearthing goes in the SAms.

If watching from Copa America on TV was the standard for spotting all the talent in South America we'd have missed out on Martinelli.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby ag6789 » Thu Jul 15, 2021 8:31 pm

At least it gives an idea about the general situation. Most underage talented boys are already in Europe developed by different clubs. They don't allow them to be developed there anymore, so why you see death of talent in all SAms. They don't learn the Samba way anymore, but the EU way.
ag6789
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Power n Glory » Thu Jul 15, 2021 8:46 pm

ag6789 wrote:At least it gives an idea about the general situation. Most underage talented boys are already in Europe developed by different clubs. They don't allow them to be developed there anymore, so why you see death of talent in all SAms. They don't learn the Samba way anymore, but the EU way.

It doesn't give a general idea of the situation though. If the talent is developed in Europe, like Martinelli, like Gabriel, you buy at an early age when the player is 18/19 before they're established and you won't see them in the Copa America. You'd be better off watching the Brazil U20s and U23s play if scouting for young talent which is what I thought we had Edu for.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby ag6789 » Thu Jul 15, 2021 8:47 pm

The likes of Martinelli, Recharlison, Gab Jesus are a far cry from the Rivaldo, Ronaldo, Ronaldinho, Kaka not to speak of the evem earlier ones.
The likes of Messi, Tevez, even our Sanchez are a dying breed there.
Brazil astonishingly produces tough defenders and DMs nowadays over fantastic artistic forwards or midfielders!! Unheard of even 10 yrs ago!
Even their CBs like Julio Cseasar, Lucio etc had more skills than a forward from Europe ! Not to speak of fantastic full backs like Branco, RCarlos, Cafu, Maicon and DAlves!
What a massive decline !
ag6789
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Power n Glory » Thu Jul 15, 2021 8:55 pm

ag6789 wrote:The likes of Martinelli, Recharlison, Gab Jesus are a far cry from the Rivaldo, Ronaldo, Ronaldinho, Kaka not to speak of the evem earlier ones.
Brazil astonishingly produces tough defenders and DMs nowadays over fantastic artistic forwards or midfielders!! Unheard of even 10 yrs ago!
Even their CBs like Julio Cseasar, Lucio etc had more skills than a forward from Europe ! Not to speak of fantastic full backs like Branco, RCarlos, Cafu, Maicon and DAlves!
What a massive decline !

Yes, the standard isn't the same compared to that era but that's football across the board for all of the top ranking nations. It's no vindication for Edu though. If you're saying there isn't much talent in Brazil then you should start to question why we've hired him in the first place.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby Salibatelli » Thu Jul 15, 2021 8:56 pm

Power n Glory wrote:
ag6789 wrote:At least it gives an idea about the general situation. Most underage talented boys are already in Europe developed by different clubs. They don't allow them to be developed there anymore, so why you see death of talent in all SAms. They don't learn the Samba way anymore, but the EU way.

It doesn't give a general idea of the situation though. If the talent is developed in Europe, like Martinelli, like Gabriel, you buy at an early age when the player is 18/19 before they're established and you won't see them in the Copa America. You'd be better off watching the Brazil U20s and U23s play if scouting for young talent which is what I thought we had Edu for.

Edu has been disappointing, I was expecting some South American talents to make their way over to us, I thought Martinelli was a sign of things to come.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby Yago » Thu Jul 15, 2021 8:57 pm

Özim wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:

Edu has been disappointing, I was expecting some South American talents to make their way over to us, I thought Martinelli was a sign of things to come.

Martinelli was on advice of (recently fired) scout Cagigao, no?
Yago
2018 World Cup Predictions League Winner
2018 World Cup Predictions League Winner

Postby ag6789 » Thu Jul 15, 2021 9:11 pm

Edu is the overall head of football. He cannot focus on S. America alone.
World is a small place nowadays. Any glimpse of talent, anywhere, will be immediately flashed on social media.
The football in SAms is dire right now.
Any exceptionally talented kids will find their way first on to Brazil/Argentine benches, but that's not the case.
Edu knows better to focus on Europe, like E.Europe who are throwing up talents in numbers.
ag6789
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Power n Glory » Thu Jul 15, 2021 9:16 pm

Özim wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:

Hopefully, it's not just Pablo Mari types. I don't know what Edu is supposed to be doing overall but considering the bulk of his experience is in South America, I don't know what he's doing if anyone believes there is no takent in South America. We look a mess. Remember we sacked Huss Fahmy as well who was our contract negotiations guy. May further explain why work is piling up and we can't get much done.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby ag6789 » Thu Jul 15, 2021 9:29 pm

Yes it is a complicated situation with three managements ( Wenger, Unai and Arte) along w/ different recruiters and football heads have accumulated a bunch of players with equally mazy contractual issues- certainly not easy to negotiate in short duration.
ag6789
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Power n Glory » Thu Jul 15, 2021 9:44 pm

I really want to see that All or Nothing series when it's done.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Thu Jul 15, 2021 10:18 pm

Power n Glory wrote:I really want to see that All or Nothing series when it's done.

Don't bother, they're boring beyond belief, except for the Sunderland one.

The clubs can veto anything they don't like, so unless our season goes worse than the last one, this will just be hi-res PR puffery. Tierney and ESR waxing poetic about Arteta's intelligence in 4K UHD.
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Power n Glory » Fri Jul 16, 2021 7:38 am

aniym wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:I really want to see that All or Nothing series when it's done.

Don't bother, they're boring beyond belief, except for the Sunderland one.

The clubs can veto anything they don't like, so unless our season goes worse than the last one, this will just be hi-res PR puffery. Tierney and ESR waxing poetic about Arteta's intelligence in 4K UHD.

Hard to spin without the results and fans following the season. They can show a load of footage of Arteta coming up with great tactical plans, speeches in the dressing room and players praising him every episode, line it all up with the real season when performances don't match the documentary, then most won't be fooled.

I also want to see how much of presence Edu and Vinai have along with KSE. That also has to be backed up with results. They could be recording now and talking up transfer plans, ambition and what not but results will show come deadline day. A lot of footage will have to be left on the editing floor if it's all talk and that will stand out to me as well.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby theHotHead » Fri Jul 16, 2021 1:12 pm

ag6789 wrote:The likes of Martinelli, Recharlison, Gab Jesus are a far cry from the Rivaldo, Ronaldo, Ronaldinho, Kaka not to speak of the evem earlier ones.
What a massive decline !

great post this
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby Nuggets » Fri Jul 16, 2021 1:17 pm

Özim wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:

Extremely disappointing was expecting more from him, Like the clown, he must have the gift of the gab to have gotten the job.
Nuggets
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk