Edu Gaspar, Sporting Director

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Edu Gaspar, Sporting Director

Postby Sims » Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:04 pm

making this thread prematurely and can be aptly renamed/moved elsewhere if his heavily rumoured arrival as our technical director does/n't materialise after the copa america

but i've been reading amy lawrence's invincibles book (which everyone should read, great insight from around the squad) and there's a couple of really interesting pointers into his life at corinthians and how much arsenal means to him

(on looking for players to sign at Corinthians) I always say, I would like to have the mentality that I saw Thierry had in that time. He always wanted to win. Every game. Every training. Everything. If he was playing cards, he had the mentality to win.

In the squad to have someone who is always pushing the guys, pushing himself, to win every game, was special. Sometimes it can be a little heavy, but this is Thierry.

But having someone to push us on to win meant a lot for the squad. His mentality was unbelievable. If every squad has a Thierry, the squad works better.

I like for Corinthians to always have a guy like him but they are so difficult to find. And to be so gifted and be able to score so many goals, Thierry was the complete footballer.

And on his love for the Arsenal (if you didn't know, he had illegal papers via his agent initially, meaning he wasn't able to play for a while - I think he got injured and his sister died in a car crash during this period as well

Arsenal was the club which helped me in the most difficult moment I ever had in my life. Arsene Wenger and the club had the patience to let me try and be good again. They let me have time for myself, I think of that a lot.

Sometimes you can arrive at a club, have problems and the club would say "Listen, go back to Brazil, stay there for a year and then we will see how good you are". That wasn't the way they treated me. They kept me there, they gave me time, and I know how important they were for my life to help me recover. Every word I am saying is completely true.

You can imagine for my mum, my father, without knowing anyone in London and not speaking English, Arsene Wenger and the club were fantastic. My parents still remember that. The club were always, always thinking about my family.

That is in my heart. It is not only a football club. That's why I always have Arsenal with me.
Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

Re: Edu - Technical Director?

Postby Angelito » Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:09 am

I'm intrigued. He will bring a different perspective. I really hope he has some ambition in him because we as a club definitely don't.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby theHotHead » Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:10 pm

I always liked Edu, he had fire in his belly and I always thought he should've got a better chance. When he left I was actually gutted, that left foot !!!
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby Arsenal Tone » Thu Jun 06, 2019 3:12 pm

Using his contacts to tap in to the South American market?
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Edu Gaspar, Technical Director

Postby Zenith » Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:29 pm

Arsenal.com

Edu named as our technical director

© Arsenal.com

Edu is joining us from the Brazilian Football Confederation as our first technical director.

The former Gunner - a member of the Invincibles - comes to us straight after helping Brazil win their first Copa America in 12 years. He will be on the flight to the United States as our pre-season tour gets underway on Thursday.

In his role as technical director, Edu will coordinate the work of our first-team coaching group, the academy and player scouting and recruitment in order to oversee the constant building up and efficient strengthening of our squad.

Head of football Raul Sanllehi said: “We’re very excited that Edu is joining the team. He has great experience and technical football knowledge and most importantly is a true Arsenal man. He understands the club and what we stand for to our millions of fans around the world.

“His arrival is the final and very important part of the jigsaw in our development of a new football infrastructure to take us forward. He will be working closely with Unai Emery and the first-team coaches, and will play a relevant role leading our football vision and ensuring we have - and follow - a solid philosophy through all our football activities.”

Edu said: “Arsenal has always had a special place in my heart and I’m thrilled to be returning to this great club in this new role. We have a strong squad and some very talented young players with fantastic people at every level. I’m looking forward to helping make a difference.”

Edu spent five seasons with us from 2001, making 30 appearances in our 2003/04 unbeaten season. A hugely-talented midfielder and fans’ favourite, Edu represented Brazil 22 times and also had two spells with Corinthians and played for Valencia under Emery.

After ending his playing career in 2010, he became Corinthians director of football and has been the general coordinator of the Brazil national team, a role similar to the one he’s taken with us, since 2016.
Zenith
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Location: Across the North Sea, 200-something miles away from The Grove

Re: Edu appointed as Technical Director

Postby theHotHead » Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:48 pm

This is great news, I always liked Edu, he was exactly what we need now, a great blend of heart passion, desire and technical ability. I am sure he will promote the Arsenal Way he was enshrined in at the time. This could be a game changer.
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Re: OFFICIAL: Edu appointed as Technical Director

Postby Nuggets » Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:04 pm

I always liked Edu, thought he had a bit of a bum deal before he went but glad he is back.
Nuggets
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner

Postby PairyGrows » Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:09 pm

Edu's success is capped by the club's ambition.
PairyGrows
Ian Wright
Ian Wright

Postby Arsenal Tone » Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:01 pm

Even after reading an article explaining his role I still don't get what edu will be doing.
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby Sims » Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:27 pm

Tony_Adams wrote:Even after reading an article explaining his role I still don't get what edu will be doing.

In simple terms he’s the main decider as to what first team players are brought in and what the squad will look like
Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

Postby Angelito » Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:28 pm

Tony_Adams wrote:Even after reading an article explaining his role I still don't get what edu will be doing.

Take Arsene Wenger's role until circa 2015 and split it into two. You have Unai Emery as the first team head coach and Edu as Emery's supervisor and colleague who will help in setting up the infrastructure, establish goals for the academy, work towards getting a profile of players that fits the way Arsenal play, and act as an intermediary between the upper heads and the coaching department.

That's in principle.

Simply put, Sanllehi is taking over Gazidis' old job, with Vinai handling the business aspects, and Edu is taking over Sanllehi's old job. Among others, the scouts at Arsenal would directly be reporting to Edu.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby ag6789 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:51 pm

Which could be slightly better than where we are right now. An ex-AFC football man in charge of football related matters.
ag6789
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Zedie » Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:12 pm

Sims wrote:

In simple terms he’s the main decider as to what first team players are brought in and what the squad will look like

Expect lots of favela mentality players in the roster. Hope he has a good passport guy tbf.
Zedie
SE13
SE13

Postby UFGN » Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:12 pm

Put a tie on FFS, youre a director of Arsenal Football Club
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN
Member of the Year 2014, 2019
Member of the Year 2014, 2019

Postby Zedie » Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:17 pm

Hes not changed one bit since he was here before.
Zedie
SE13
SE13

Next

Return to Arsenal Talk