Edu Gaspar, Sporting Director

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: Edu Gaspar, Technical Director

Postby Arsenal Tone » Fri Oct 30, 2020 8:48 pm

If Arteta fails should Edu come under more pressure?
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby ag6789 » Fri Oct 30, 2020 8:59 pm

Edu was a Pro footballer, not likely to have finished school, so numbers/math aren't going to be his forte, naturally.
As long as his evaluation of another footballer is sound nothing else matters.
ag6789
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Arsenal Tone » Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:40 pm

He appointed arteta. Regardless of numbers, if arteta fails then edu has to take some stick. More so than Kroenke who has sanctioned spending big money under two managers since Wenger.
Raya/Ramsdale
???/Jorginho
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby Salibatelli » Sat Oct 31, 2020 11:18 am

I don’t think Edu appointed Arteta, we wanted him the 1st time round before we appointed Emery for various reasons but couldn’t get it done, then after Emery was sacked we claimed we did an extensive search for a new manager then somehow ended up with a guy we interviewed a year and a half earlier (doesn’t sound like much searching went on to me).

Think we always planned to get the guy in, I can only think because he had played for us and was friendly with people here and because Wenger recommended him.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby Callum » Sat Oct 31, 2020 4:24 pm

Edu is still tasked with cleaning up the mess left by Gazidis, Raul and co, so it'll likely be a while before we can judge him effectively. We had a mostly good window in terms of incoming transfers but the deals for Gabriel, Partey etc were mostly negotiated by Raul before he left, so you can't really give Edu too much credit for that. Likewise, our inability to shift the likes of Sokratis, Mustafi and Kolasinac was disappointing but I have sympathy for Edu in that he wasn't the one who awarded them their inflated contracts and the COVID market (outside of the PL) was deflated.
Callum
SE13
SE13

Postby Angelito » Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:09 am

Why does he give me those I'm clueless vibes?
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby swipe right » Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:21 am

Angelito wrote:Why does he give me those I'm clueless vibes?

Hmm...let me guess... cause he’s fcking clueless? Just a hunch.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Nuggets » Mon Nov 30, 2020 7:11 am

swipe right wrote:
Angelito wrote:Why does he give me those I'm clueless vibes?

Hmm...let me guess... cause he’s fcking clueless? Just a hunch.

mmm that could well be the case. :arse fan:
Nuggets
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner

Postby Arsenal Tone » Mon Nov 30, 2020 7:25 am

Tony Adams wrote:He appointed arteta. Regardless of numbers, if arteta fails then edu has to take some stick. More so than Kroenke who has sanctioned spending big money under two managers since Wenger.
Still think this. Why would Kroenke sanction any more spending when so far he has seen such little progress under two managers Edu played a part in employing? Surely Edu, who appointed Arteta and played a big part in player recruitment should be under pressure now results aren't going our way?
Raya/Ramsdale
???/Jorginho
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby Power n Glory » Mon Nov 30, 2020 8:35 am

Tony Adams wrote:
Tony Adams wrote:He appointed arteta. Regardless of numbers, if arteta fails then edu has to take some stick. More so than Kroenke who has sanctioned spending big money under two managers since Wenger.
Still think this. Why would Kroenke sanction any more spending when so far he has seen such little progress under two managers Edu played a part in employing? Surely Edu, who appointed Arteta and played a big part in player recruitment should be under pressure now results aren't going our way?

Agreed with this. Edu has had three transfer windows now. The loan deals for Cedric and Pablo Mari were questionable enough but we then go on to make them permanent. Willian looks like a poor deal with each game and it seems clear Arteta has no idea how to make use of him. Saliba is another one. He should have been loaned out again if Arteta didn't want to play him. Haven't sold enough of the deadwood players and were unable to secure transfer fees for Guendouzi and Torriera so we loaned them out instead which still leaves short of midfield options. If jobs are on the line Edu will probably shift the blame on to Arteta and Arteta blame on Edu.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Mon Nov 30, 2020 4:19 pm

Edu has done far more to support the manager than crooked Raul and idiot Gazidis ever did:

- secured long term deals for Martinelli and Saka
- Signed Mari in Jan when Arteta wanted a CB to replace Chambers/Holding
- Signed Gabriel, Partey and Willian in the summer, all players Arteta requested

Why is he being blamed when it's the manager that's failing?
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Angelito » Mon Nov 30, 2020 5:36 pm

Power n Glory wrote:
Tony Adams wrote:

Agreed with this. Edu has had three transfer windows now. The loan deals for Cedric and Pablo Mari were questionable enough but we then go on to make them permanent. Willian looks like a poor deal with each game and it seems clear Arteta has no idea how to make use of him. Saliba is another one. He should have been loaned out again if Arteta didn't want to play him. Haven't sold enough of the deadwood players and were unable to secure transfer fees for Guendouzi and Torriera so we loaned them out instead which still leaves short of midfield options. If jobs are on the line Edu will probably shift the blame on to Arteta and Arteta blame on Edu.

To be fair, Cedric and Mari deals are more on Raul than on Edu. Same for Gabriel.

Edu/Arteta spearheaded the deals for Willian and Thomas. So, as of now, we overpaid for a mediocre ageing winger who we should have never signed; let alone offer a 3-year-deal. And, the other acquisition was triggering a release clause.

We sold Emi for £16m to fund Willian. We turned down £20m from Wolves for Niles. We offered Auba a deal where he earns nearly £500k a week if he hits all the bonuses and clauses. We failed to bring an attacking midfielder and banished the only one we have despite creativity being the outstanding deficiency.

We seem out of depth at every level. I'm not kidding when I say that I'd want Wenger to return as a Consultant or something, for a year, to restructure Arsenal. We're in dire need of leadership and vision. The existing ones all look like pit masters to me.

:snooty:
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Power n Glory » Mon Nov 30, 2020 7:20 pm

Angelito wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
Tony Adams wrote:

To be fair, Cedric and Mari deals are more on Raul than on Edu. Same for Gabriel.

Edu/Arteta spearheaded the deals for Willian and Thomas. So, as of now, we overpaid for a mediocre ageing winger who we should have never signed; let alone offer a 3-year-deal. And, the other acquisition was triggering a release clause.

We sold Emi for £16m to fund Willian. We turned down £20m from Wolves for Niles. We offered Auba a deal where he earns nearly £500k a week if he hits all the bonuses and clauses. We failed to bring an attacking midfielder and banished the only one we have despite creativity being the outstanding deficiency.

We seem out of depth at every level. I'm not kidding when I say that I'd want Wenger to return as a Consultant or something, for a year, to restructure Arsenal. We're in dire need of leadership and vision. The existing ones all look like pit masters to me.

:snooty:

I'd say Edu has to accept some responsibility for those deals as well. He was pictured with Pablo Mari at the airport befor we signed him so he played his part in getting him here. Raul wasn't working alone.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby tufnelltoughie » Sat Dec 05, 2020 12:40 pm

I can't believe the Board have placed our fate in the hands of Edu and Arteta.

Both were nothing players and they seem to be in the thrall of Joorabchian hence Luiz, Willian et al.

They are not the answer to Arsenal's problem
tufnelltoughie
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby jayramfootball » Sat Dec 05, 2020 1:02 pm

tufnelltoughie wrote:I can't believe the Board have placed our fate in the hands of Edu and Arteta.

Both were nothing players and they seem to be in the thrall of Joorabchian hence Luiz, Willian et al.

They are not the answer to Arsenal's problem

yeah - looks like Edu is bringing in his pals and not the players we actually need.
There was never any value in signing Luiz or Willian.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk