Mkhitaryan and UEFA Disgrace

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: Mkhitaryan and UEFA Disgrace

Postby gunnor » Wed May 22, 2019 7:46 am

whee wrote:
gunnor wrote:He's being paid to play and there is 0% chance that his life is in danger. We're almost certain to lose now because Mkhi is such an important player. So frustrating!

0% chance that his life is in danger? Well that's not exactly true is it.

And the second sentence is just as big a pile of bollocks as the first.

His life is not in danger. And yes, we are more likely to lose now than not. Mkhi is a high level performer in this competition and we have no playmaker now other than Ozil. It's pretty much all on Ozil's shoulders. No Ramsey No Mkhitaryan. This is a disaster.
gunnor
Lee Dixon
Lee Dixon

Postby whee » Wed May 22, 2019 7:57 am

gunnor wrote:
whee wrote:
gunnor wrote:He's being paid to play and there is 0% chance that his life is in danger. We're almost certain to lose now because Mkhi is such an important player. So frustrating!

His life is not in danger. And yes, we are more likely to lose now than not. Mkhi is a high level performer in this competition and we have no playmaker now other than Ozil. It's pretty much all on Ozil's shoulders. No Ramsey No Mkhitaryan. This is a disaster.

We've seen a couple of occasions this year where supporters have got onto the field of play and assaulted players; no reason that couldn't happen in Baku - so not 0% chance at all. When there's a desire from a lunatic to act, there's always a chance.

We'll have to agree to disagree on the importance of Mkhi to this match. The one part of his game I think we may miss is his industry, but guess what? Somebody else will have to pull their socks up.

Is Mkhi in your best XI?
whee
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby gunnor » Wed May 22, 2019 8:19 am

whee wrote:
gunnor wrote:
whee wrote:

We've seen a couple of occasions this year where supporters have got onto the field of play and assaulted players; no reason that couldn't happen in Baku - so not 0% chance at all. When there's a desire from a lunatic to act, there's always a chance.

We'll have to agree to disagree on the importance of Mkhi to this match. The one part of his game I think we may miss is his industry, but guess what? Somebody else will have to pull their socks up.

Is Mkhi in your best XI?

Yeah but they extended a State guarantee, the ambassador the foreign ministry etc. all came out and said he had nothing to worry about. That's a big deal. I can't think of a single time when a single player representing a club was targeted on hostile territory. I admit that Serbians did invade the pitch to attack Albanian players once but Mkhi is representing Arsenal here not Armenia. There are a lot of Arsenal fans in Azerbaijan believe it or not. It's not realistic for him to say he fears for his life.

We have nobody that can replace Ozil even if Mkhi wasn't in your first XI that's my point. If Mkhi starts, he can complement Ozil and yes I would start him. But if Mkhi doesn't start then we would have no choice but to play 5 at the back (3 centre backs with two wingbacks) with only Ozil as the playmaker, just like against Valencia. But if plan A doesn't work, there is no plan B, because we don't have Mkhi. Its as simple as that. Either Ozil does the job or we're toast! Remember, every time plan A doesn't work, Mkhi always bails us out, he's an effective replacement for Ozil. His directness and sharp crosses would also catch Chelsea defenders out. Like I said, no Ramsey and no Mikhi means Ozil is on his own.
gunnor
Lee Dixon
Lee Dixon

Postby EliteKiller » Wed May 22, 2019 9:18 am

It was a chance for Mkhi to stand up and be counted ... does anyone else believe his life is under threat ... Mkhi should have taken a leaf out of Jesse Owens book, to do what he did in '36 took real balls ... to cry off because of some political bollocks? not so sure about that ...
EliteKiller
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby whee » Wed May 22, 2019 9:20 am

gunnor wrote:Yeah but they extended a State guarantee, the ambassador the foreign ministry etc. all came out and said he had nothing to worry about. That's a big deal.

Yes, and they don't all do that without their being something to be concerned about in the first place.

As alluded to in another thread, this is probably just as much about Mkhi showing solidarity with his own nation, as much as it is about him fearing for his safety.
whee
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Phil71 » Wed May 22, 2019 9:51 am

It speaks volumes in regard to how much he really wants to help us win the trophy.

Get rid of him.
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby theHotHead » Wed May 22, 2019 12:44 pm

Mkhi has been shite for most of the season, not sure how much of a loss it will actually be anyway.

Annoyed with UEFA for holding the final there. Annoyed with arsenal for not kicking up a fuss, Annoyed with Mkhi for not going.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby Nuggets » Wed May 22, 2019 1:42 pm

theHotHead wrote:Mkhi has been shite for most of the season, not sure how much of a loss it will actually be anyway.

Annoyed with UEFA for holding the final there. Annoyed with arsenal for not kicking up a fuss, Annoyed with Mkhi for not going.

I don't think we will miss him.
Nuggets
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner

Postby Sims » Wed May 22, 2019 1:45 pm

How can u be annoyed with Micki for not going LOOOOL
Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

Postby Phil71 » Wed May 22, 2019 1:57 pm

Sims wrote:How can u be annoyed with Micki for not going LOOOOL

I'm not annoyed with him.

My view is that if he can't be bothered to make the effort to go over there and play for us he has shown his true colours and should be sold.

He gets paid enormous amounts of money to play for Arsenal FC. He should be going out there no matter what. If he cared a jot about the club he would be going. The fact is he doesn't give a shit or he is doing this for political reasons, in league with the Armenian authorities.

Either way, get rid of him.
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby Sims » Wed May 22, 2019 2:14 pm

Or he’s doing it because he’s worried he might get attacked by some Azerbaijani nutter

Can bring up the olympics or whatever which Armenia took there, but football brings absolute nutcases to stadiums

Some things go above football, a footballers livelihood is one of them
Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

Postby Phil71 » Wed May 22, 2019 2:29 pm

The very last thing the Azerbaijanis need is for him to get attacked by anyone. He'd get more protection than the president.
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby ag6789 » Wed May 22, 2019 2:39 pm

Cannot understand how an European final is held at an Asian country. UEFA is nuts.
Cannot fault Mikhi when his life could be at risk.
ag6789
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby north bank gooner » Wed May 22, 2019 2:46 pm

gunnor wrote:
whee wrote:
gunnor wrote:
whee wrote:

Is Mkhi in your best XI?

Yeah but they extended a State guarantee, the ambassador the foreign ministry etc. all came out and said he had nothing to worry about. That's a big deal. I can't think of a single time when a single player representing a club was targeted on hostile territory. I admit that Serbians did invade the pitch to attack Albanian players once but Mkhi is representing Arsenal here not Armenia. There are a lot of Arsenal fans in Azerbaijan believe it or not. It's not realistic for him to say he fears for his life.

We have nobody that can replace Ozil even if Mkhi wasn't in your first XI that's my point. If Mkhi starts, he can complement Ozil and yes I would start him. But if Mkhi doesn't start then we would have no choice but to play 5 at the back (3 centre backs with two wingbacks) with only Ozil as the playmaker, just like against Valencia. But if plan A doesn't work, there is no plan B, because we don't have Mkhi. Its as simple as that. Either Ozil does the job or we're toast! Remember, every time plan A doesn't work, Mkhi always bails us out, he's an effective replacement for Ozil. His directness and sharp crosses would also catch Chelsea defenders out. Like I said, no Ramsey and no Mikhi means Ozil is on his own.

You're making a big case for Mikhi being on the bench. I am not sure how tbh, he was responsible for the Brighton move (with his shocking pass in the final third) that ultimately saw us drop 2 points which was the difference between us qualifying for the CL in 4th and having an all or nothing shot in Baku.

In saying that I am disappointed that he did not despite reassurances from the highest order in Azerbaijan choose to travel. The fans are taking every bit as much a risk going into an unstable part of the world.
Arsenal fans who hate other clubs more than Tottenham? Really!!
north bank gooner
Lee Dixon
Lee Dixon

Postby starmandb » Wed May 22, 2019 4:25 pm

gunnor wrote:Make no mistake, this is Mkhitaryan boycotting Azerbaijan. The Azeri govt has already issued multiple statements guaranteeing his safety but Mkhi chose to put politics before football. People can say what they like but this is nothing less than a betrayal to Arsenal fans if we lose because of this. It's just sad his dislike towards Azerbaijan is so overwhelming that he can't even set foot inside the country.

He's being paid to play and there is 0% chance that his life is in danger. Israelis for example have played under worse conditions and in more hostile countries and nothing has happened. We're almost certain to lose now because Mkhi is such an important player. So frustrating!

Beat Chelsea 2-0 at home this season without him
starmandb
Member of the Year 2018, 2020
Member of the Year 2018, 2020

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk