William Saliba (2)

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: William Saliba (on loan - OGC Nice)

Postby starmandb » Sat Feb 27, 2021 1:56 pm

Sorry diamond I must admit
I did not look into statdna and still have no real understanding of it
But I do take your point
If Eddies goals at youth level are being used to beef up the stats they have little validity
I believe youth football to be a nurturing I’m environment not one to be used as a basis for recording someone’s career
So in that context I guess that was where the youth thing came in so my 24 average age thing is redundant I’m sorry
However I still mantain that the tedium of farmers pubbers etc is dull unfunny and with no basis in fact hence the richarlison thing
You have been watching football long enough to know that banana skins lurk in the supposedly easiest games and despite what Steve sidwell was banging on about on Thursday it ain’t just an Arsenal thing
Before the juggernaut that is the champions league there were 2 other European tournaments that had respect in there own right
Nobody felt the need to denigrate them
Or the goals we scored in them
starmandb
Member of the Year 2018, 2020

Postby Salibatelli » Sat Feb 27, 2021 2:05 pm

Young player makes the odd mistake and recovers well from it, but overall has impressed, but apparently not good enough.

Meanwhile at Arsenal, senior players make basic mistakes week in week out and it’s fine.

I’d say Mikel was wrong based on what we’ve seen so far, his senior players are worse than Saliba.
Last edited by Salibatelli on Sat Feb 27, 2021 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby Santi » Sat Feb 27, 2021 2:06 pm

Who said not good? The right thing to do was loan him out so he doesn't get crucified like any CB who cocks up here does.
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby DiamondGooner » Sat Feb 27, 2021 2:16 pm

starmandb wrote:However I still mantain that the tedium of farmers pubbers etc is dull unfunny and with no basis in fact hence the richarlison thing

Its just a throw away comment used to describe players in the lower ranks of Europa like Swedish teams and teams from the sticks who have part time jobs as well as being footballers.

Take it with a pinch of salt.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby starmandb » Sat Feb 27, 2021 4:08 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:
starmandb wrote:However I still mantain that the tedium of farmers pubbers etc is dull unfunny and with no basis in fact hence the richarlison thing

Its just a throw away comment used to describe players in the lower ranks of Europa like Swedish teams and teams from the sticks who have part time jobs as well as being footballers.

Except none of them do
They are fully professional footballer’s
I don’t take the casual knocking of Arsenal lightly
We are supporters
And repeating hackneyed old lines we are certainly not comedians
starmandb

Postby DiamondGooner » Sat Feb 27, 2021 7:27 pm

starmandb wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:

Except none of them do
They are fully professional footballer’s
I don’t take the casual knocking of Arsenal lightly
We are supporters
And repeating hackneyed old lines we are certainly not comedians

I'm sure the players in Sweden we played last year or the year before where it was fkin baltic and snowing the commentator said they were part timers and some were plumbers?

As I'm sure they said that about that Azerbaijan team we played?

............. come to think of it what about that Irish team we played, again I'm sure they said some of them had part time jobs?

Either that or I'm going mad hearing things.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby starmandb » Sat Feb 27, 2021 9:28 pm

Ostersunds
Qarabag
And Dundalk are all fully professional teams
The closest we came to a plumber was Christopher Plummer after we climbed ( more cliched rot from Steve sidwell on Thursday)
That mountain
starmandb

Postby Zenith » Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:43 am

Saliba vs Nîmes

1 Tackle
3 Clearances
3 Blocked shots
5 Interceptions
3 duels won (100%)
5 Accurate long passes
95% pass accuracy
Zenith
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Location: Across the North Sea, 200-something miles away from The Grove

Postby swipe right » Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:49 am

Zenith wrote:Saliba vs Nîmes

1 Tackle
3 Clearances
3 Blocked shots
5 Interceptions
3 duels won (100%)
5 Accurate long passes
95% pass accuracy

Transitioning
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Santi » Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:48 pm

Every time this thread gets bumped I’m expecting to see someone masturbating
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby thebigbangtheo » Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:30 pm

Santi wrote:Every time this thread gets bumped I’m expecting to see someone masturbating

Lol that's funny and definitely raised a smile but that's all it raised ok
thebigbangtheo
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby swipe right » Fri Apr 02, 2021 1:02 am

Saliba dominating strikers.

swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby jayramfootball » Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:57 am

swipe right wrote:Saliba dominating strikers.

To be fair he does look a little clumsy for the PL. Many of those challenges would be given as free kicks to the attacker in the PL if he was playing for us. He'd get away with them if playing for Utd.
Also, he's not ever going to want to play for Arsenal.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:06 pm

April 6, 2021
William, a calm head
https://www.ogcnice.com/en/news/42512/w ... -calm-head

Since his arrival in January, William Saliba has put in solid performance after solid performance for Les Aiglons. Something that is demonstrated by a quick look at his stats while at the club…

Never dribbled past by an opponent with Le Gym

Adrian Ursea often focuses on "the confidence" that he brings to the whole team, even though it is something that is "difficult" to quantify. Some stats do stick out, however, and provide additional insight into the 20 year old's game. Since his first outing in red and black, in the away defeat at Brest during a dark period for the side, William Saliba has never been beaten by an opponent with the ball on the floor. A record that remains in place after the trip to Nantes.

The player on loan from Arsenal is the only player in Ligue 1 (having played at least 600 minutes) to boast such a record. For the time being, Le Gym's defender has extended his run to 1170 minutes.

In the top five for ball recoveries in L1

Saliba also appears in Ligue 1's top five for ball recoveries since 6 January, when he arrived at the club. Particularly exposed, given his role at the heart of the defence, he has won 99 balls back from his opponents' feet. In the French top flight, "Willo" is only beaten by Anthony Caci (Strasbourg, 113), Bruno Ecuele Manga (Dijon, 112) and Ngonda Muzinga (Dijon, 106).

Among his teammates, Le Gym's n°18 leads the way ahead of Hassane Kamara (79 ball recoveries) and Alexis Claude-Maurice (56).

He has also made 20 interceptions during the period, the second best total for a Nice player, behind Hassane Kamara (26).

1029 touches of the ball

Dominating in the air (22 duels won for Le Gym, the best tally in the squad since his arrival), the centre back who came through the ranks at Saint-Etienne is also a vital element of the team when they have the ball.

This can also been seen in the figures, given that in 2021, Saliba is the Aiglon with the most touches of the ball (1029) - ahead of Hassane Kamara (988) and Amine Gouiri (774) – and is the player that has made most passes (878).

Comes off like a seasoned professional . We could have used his height and aerial duel winning ability on Saturday.
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Zenith » Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:33 pm

Zenith
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Location: Across the North Sea, 200-something miles away from The Grove

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk