William Saliba (2)

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: William Saliba (on loan - Olympique de Marseille)

Postby jayramfootball » Mon Dec 13, 2021 10:00 pm

Salibatelli wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
Salibatelli wrote:6th is rubbish for a club like us with no Europe and 160 million spent last summer, we’re a midtable team because we have been since he arrived and I expect we will be this season too because the guy is a dud.

I don’t want us to fail, I know we will because I have eyes and can tell you now that after two years of the same stuff I can happily conclude Arteta was hugely overhyped, shouldn’t have been given the job and isn’t a manager of any real talent.

He’s a guy we plucked out of nowhere because his friend told everyone he’s a top manager, which if you think about is quite embarrassing that a club of our size gave someone on year say and a few words.

You’re right I’m not going to change, he’s done for me just waiting for the time when it’s over now, I don’t believe that after 2 years of seeing nothing of note it’s suddenly going to change, seen enough this season to show otherwise.

On the same note you’re going to go over the top everytime we get any kind of win, overpraising all the players you like and tearing into the players you don’t like at the same time like you always do.

Yes as an Arsenal fan I do celebrate Arsenal wins to the max. Always will. It’s nice to enjoy our good form over 2021. Hope we round out the year in the top 4. Would be lovely. Again, not so much for you, though.

You made your own bed on the negative side. That’s you. Desperate for us to fail, Ozim.

There’s different types of Arsenal fans, those that like to pretend everything is great and go over the top like we’ve won the title everytime we win and the others.

You don’t just celebrate you start overhyping all your favourite players as well.

You’re Arsenal fans comment is a generalisation, not everyone is like you, many many aren’t.

No Arsenal fan is like you Ozim, that is for sure.
No Arsenal fan hopes we lose so our manager gets sacked in order to wallow in their own negativity and troll Arsenal forums .
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Salibatelli » Mon Dec 13, 2021 10:09 pm

My name is Salibatelli, not sure how many times I have to tell you.

I’ve seen plenty on here, not many like you though. Any Arsenal would want to see an end to this nightmare spell, it’s been awful for any Arsenal fan because we’re always midtable, not in Europe, the football is mostly awful and we lose to all the better teams.

I mean who would really enjoy that other than people who ignore the reality?
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby Arsenal Tone » Mon Dec 13, 2021 10:44 pm

I'm never going to see a Saliba-Gabriel partnership, am I? :(
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby Phil71 » Tue Dec 14, 2021 10:37 am

Salibatelli wrote:My name is Salibatelli, not sure how many times I have to tell you.

I’ve seen plenty on here, not many like you though. Any Arsenal would want to see an end to this nightmare spell, it’s been awful for any Arsenal fan because we’re always midtable, not in Europe, the football is mostly awful and we lose to all the better teams.

I mean who would really enjoy that other than people who ignore the reality?

:rofll:

I pictured you banging the table when you said that, Ozim.

You're about as conspicuous as a giraffe in dark glasses trying to get into a polar bears only party.
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby theHotHead » Tue Dec 14, 2021 1:58 pm

jayramfootball wrote:
Neymar is sh*t and has been for some time.

I didn't rate Saka over Ronaldo.

I said I would not swap Saka for Ronaldo
No Arsenal fan would - not a single one.
That would be utterly stupid to do.

I also would not Ronaldo in the team now because he's too old and on the way down. Would be far too disruptive as he has been for Utd - he's taken them from 2nd to 5th and weakened their attack vs last year.

Jay, forgetting future resale value, are you telling me you would not swap Saka for Ronaldo right at this moment, for the rest of the season ?

That is literally like saying you wouldn't swap Messi for Saka right at this moment because Messi isnt the 40/50 goal per season machine he was at Barcelona.

Now you are just digging in your heels to maintain your argument, its a preposterous comment Jay ! You would be the ONLY Arsenal fan that wouldn't do it Jay !!
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby jayramfootball » Tue Dec 14, 2021 4:56 pm

theHotHead wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
Neymar is sh*t and has been for some time.

I didn't rate Saka over Ronaldo.

I said I would not swap Saka for Ronaldo
No Arsenal fan would - not a single one.
That would be utterly stupid to do.

I also would not Ronaldo in the team now because he's too old and on the way down. Would be far too disruptive as he has been for Utd - he's taken them from 2nd to 5th and weakened their attack vs last year.

Jay, forgetting future resale value, are you telling me you would not swap Saka for Ronaldo right at this moment, for the rest of the season ?

That is literally like saying you wouldn't swap Messi for Saka right at this moment because Messi isnt the 40/50 goal per season machine he was at Barcelona.

Now you are just digging in your heels to maintain your argument, its a preposterous comment Jay ! You would be the ONLY Arsenal fan that wouldn't do it Jay !!

Saka's age, development AND future value are obviously key.
You'd have to be brain dead to think swapping him for Ronaldo would be a good idea.
..and no, I wouldn't swap Messi for Saka either.

Not a reflection on the unbelievable ability of both Ronaldo and Messi - rather the fact they are both old and going downhill and would not play much of a part in our future.
It's the same with my view on Ronaldo at Man Utd and the fact he's brought their attacking threat down and made them worse as a team.
It's not a refection on Ronaldo from 5 years ago.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby theHotHead » Tue Dec 14, 2021 8:00 pm

LOOOL

The defence rests its case m'lud.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby Zenith » Fri Dec 17, 2021 10:26 pm

Eurosport

William Saliba exclusive: I was a 'nobody' at Arsenal, it brought me back to reality

"I know what it's like not to play for six months. Today, I want to play every game." William Saliba believes his experience on the fringes at Arsenal has helped him become a better player. Now on loan at Marseille, he tells Eurosport France that he is ready to prove he can compete at the highest level and claim a starting spot in north London.

William Saliba admits he was humbled after six months without a match at Arsenal amid a series of loan moves.
The centre-back moved to the Emirates for £27 million in 2019 but is yet to make a single appearance for the Gunners after loan spells at St-Etienne, Nice and Marseille.
Now at Marseille, Saliba is beginning to show signs of the player that excited Arsenal fans when he was first announced.

Speaking exclusively to Eurosport France, the 20-year-old said the move to the Premier League brought him back to reality and taught him to earn his place at the top level.
"There are hard times," admitted Saliba. "I hadn't played a game for six months.
"You have to fight in a career. We must take that as a lesson to go further. It gave me a little slap to say: 'You are nobody!' You can be bought for 30 million euros, arrive in a club and we put you aside.
"I took this experience by being positive. I feed on it. I know what it's like not to play for six months. Today, I want to play every game. It puts the ideas back in place. Before arriving at Arsenal, I said to myself: 'Who am I going to play with?' And then you are not even in the group in the Premier League.

It gives you a good slap, it feels good. It brings you back to the reality.

Saliba is a key fixture in the backline of a stubborn Marseille side that sits second in Ligue 1, with a league-low 14 goals conceded this season.
And while he insists he is not playing for recognition in north London, he is certainly keen to show what he is capable of.
"It is not a direct message," he adds. "But since I didn't play for six months, that I had a hard time, I wanted to show that I had the capacity to play at this club. I do it for myself first. It's not revenge."
Saliba's loan move does not include an option to buy, but he is treating his stay in Marseille as if he were on a permanent contract.

And while he keeps track of Arsenal's results, he says he is dedicated to his adoptive French side and is not thinking about the future.
"I'm on loan," he says. "But I pretend I'm there for many years. I'm not thinking about returning to Arsenal [right now]. I give myself to Marseille. I don't think about what will happen afterwards."
The defender's relationship with Mikel Arteta has never been clear, and the £50 million signing of Ben White from Brighton in the summer seemed to have pushed Saliba further down the pecking order.
But it appears he remains in the Spaniard's plans. At the end of October, Arteta declared: "Saliba? There is a place for him with us."
And Saliba remains stoic, keeping his head down, and working hard to earn his place wherever he plays. Taking nothing for granted:

Football is like that. In big teams, there is competition everywhere. If you're afraid of the competition, don't play football.

And while he keeps track of Arsenal's results, he says he is dedicated to his adoptive French side and is not thinking about the future.
"I'm on loan," he says. "But I pretend I'm there for many years. I'm not thinking about returning to Arsenal [right now]. I give myself to Marseille. I don't think about what will happen afterwards."
The defender's relationship with Mikel Arteta has never been clear, and the £50 million signing of Ben White from Brighton in the summer seemed to have pushed Saliba further down the pecking order.
But it appears he remains in the Spaniard's plans. At the end of October, Arteta declared: "Saliba? There is a place for him with us."
And Saliba remains stoic, keeping his head down, and working hard to earn his place wherever he plays. Taking nothing for granted:

Football is like that. In big teams, there is competition everywhere. If you're afraid of the competition, don't play football.
Zenith
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Location: Across the North Sea, 200-something miles away from The Grove

Postby Ach » Fri Dec 17, 2021 10:57 pm

Got a good head on his shoulders. Looking forward to seeing that partnership with Gabriel soon
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby jayramfootball » Fri Dec 17, 2021 11:10 pm

I like his attitude.
Looks like Arteta has really helped him as a young footballer.
Could well be a good back up option for next year as he continues to improve.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Salibatelli » Fri Dec 17, 2021 11:37 pm

Arteta helped him?

:lol: what a ridiculous thing to say, he’s done the opposite and not invested any time in him and just cut him out, if you call that helping, I hope you never have to help anyone out.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby Nuggets » Sat Dec 18, 2021 6:23 am

jayramfootball wrote:I like his attitude.
Looks like Arteta has really helped him as a young footballer.
Could well be a good back up option for next year as he continues to improve.

You don't half spout some shite Jam :rofll: :rofll:
Nuggets
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner

Postby jayramfootball » Sat Dec 18, 2021 8:33 am

Yes looks like Arteta’s decision making on Saliba has been perfect for the kid in the end.
If he comes back to Arsenal a more mature and humble player he’s got a chance and he’ll have Arteta to thank.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby swipe right » Sat Dec 18, 2021 8:44 am

jayramfootball wrote:Yes looks like Arteta’s decision making on Saliba has been perfect for the kid in the end.
If he comes back to Arsenal a more mature and humble player he’s got a chance and he’ll have Arteta to thank.

Maybe Arteta could take his own advice on maturity and humility.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby #ST » Sat Dec 18, 2021 8:49 am

jayramfootball wrote:Yes looks like Arteta’s decision making on Saliba has been perfect for the kid in the end.

I actually enjoy your overly positive approach towards Arteta/especially Arsenal even though Im a firm Arteta-outer these days

But giving him ANY credit for the Saliba situation seems like a huge huge stretch even for you....
Wembley:
Community Shield @6-8-'23 = 1*-1 Manchester City

Emirates Stadium:
First game @10-9-'11 = 1 - 0 Swansea
Most memorable game @24-2-'22 = 2 - 1 Wolves
Last game @03-04-'24 = 2 - 0 Luton Town
Next game @14-04-'24 = VS Aston Villa [ Block 122 - Seat 875 ]
#ST
Predictions League 2019-20, 2021-22 Winner
Predictions League 2019-20, 2021-22 Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk