William Saliba (2)

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: William Saliba (4)

Postby LMAO » Thu Aug 27, 2020 6:08 pm

Saliba will be a nailed on starter by the end of the season.
LMAO
Member of the Year 2019
Member of the Year 2019

Postby Zenith » Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:28 pm

Reckon, if circumstances allow it, he'll be eased in—which is the right thing to do.
Zenith
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Location: Across the North Sea, 200-something miles away from The Grove

Postby Nuggets » Fri Aug 28, 2020 6:19 am

Looking forward to seeing the guy in action.
Nuggets
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner

Postby Losmeister » Sat Aug 29, 2020 2:21 pm

looked good in mk dons scrimmage
Kai Havertz nutmegged ur GK
Losmeister
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Callum » Sat Aug 29, 2020 6:21 pm

Needs to shave that beard.
Callum
SE13
SE13

Postby Ach » Sat Aug 29, 2020 6:24 pm

Forgot we had him

Fifth choice for cb spot behind luiz, holding, Tierney and kola going by today
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby BexleyGooner » Sat Aug 29, 2020 6:36 pm

Ach wrote:Forgot we had him

Fifth choice for cb spot behind luiz, holding, Tierney and kola going by today

That must leave Gabriel as 6th choice!
BexleyGooner
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Ach » Sat Aug 29, 2020 6:39 pm

We don't have gabriel
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby ESR10 » Sat Sep 12, 2020 7:49 pm

https://www.justarsenal.com/arsenal-bos ... ady/257633

“I think it’s going to take him [Saliba] some time to adapt to our way of playing but as well to get adapted to the language, the rhythm, the physicality of the country,” MA told reporters prior to kick-off (via DailyStar).

The Spaniard goes onto claim that his absences during the previous season and his injuries have also had a negative effect, before later hinting at further additions at centre-half.

“As well we have to bear in mind that he didn’t play much football last season with all the injuries he had,” the Gunners boss added.

“So, I think it will be a process that we have to be patient, picking the right games with the right environment and trying to grow because he [Saliba] has a really good potential.

I would have thought that Gabriel and Saliba are on a similar level given their stats in the french league last season, but I trust Artetas judgement.
ESR10
Predictions League 2018-19 Winner
Predictions League 2018-19 Winner

Postby Callum » Sat Sep 12, 2020 8:02 pm

Mustafi wrote:https://www.justarsenal.com/arsenal-boss-warns-that-saliba-is-not-ready/257633

“I think it’s going to take him [Saliba] some time to adapt to our way of playing but as well to get adapted to the language, the rhythm, the physicality of the country,” MA told reporters prior to kick-off (via DailyStar).

The Spaniard goes onto claim that his absences during the previous season and his injuries have also had a negative effect, before later hinting at further additions at centre-half.

“As well we have to bear in mind that he didn’t play much football last season with all the injuries he had,” the Gunners boss added.

“So, I think it will be a process that we have to be patient, picking the right games with the right environment and trying to grow because he [Saliba] has a really good potential.

I would have thought that Gabriel and Saliba are on a similar level given their stats in the french league last season, but I trust Artetas judgement.

Gabriel is older and more experienced, simple as that. He's also played outside of France.
Callum
SE13
SE13

Postby Sims » Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:20 pm

just had his first interview in english bless him

https://www.arsenal.com/news/saliba-im- ... -and-henry

does sound like rocky after being nearly knocked out but fair play for him on wanting to do it
Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

Postby Zenith » Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:38 pm

Props to him for trying: you can understand everything is saying. Also, given how young that he still is, I have no doubt that he'll be fluent in English relatively soon. Generally speaking, the younger you are, the easier it is to learn a new language.

Remember Giroud and Laca? When they first arrived, both players were older than Saliba and their English was arguably inferior to Saliba's. It didn't take very long before they became comfortable speaking the language and started doing post-match interviews.
Zenith
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Location: Across the North Sea, 200-something miles away from The Grove

Postby alexafc12 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:39 pm

Bit of a shit interviewer imo.

Constructed the interview to try and make him come across as some life long Arsenal nut and finished up lumping pressure on him telling him all the greats that wore #4 and asking whether he was going to be Arsenal captain.

Hopefully big Tim gets a wiff and he's made told to pack his bag.
alexafc12
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Sims » Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:44 pm

Zenith wrote:Props to him for trying: you can understand everything is saying. Also, given how young that he still is, I have no doubt that he'll be fluent in English relatively soon. Generally speaking, the younger you are, the easier it is to learn a new language.

Remember Giroud and Laca? When they first arrived, both players were older than Saliba and their English was arguably inferior to Saliba's. It didn't take very long before they became comfortable speaking the language and started doing post-match interviews.

positive signs tbh hes able to pick that up in a year where he was still playing in france.

given gabriel speaks french fluently within a short period im hoping he can pick up english very quickly too. you can see him and saliba chatting in the training vids without any stuttering
Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

Postby Santi » Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:48 pm

half the team speaks french, ain't like it's gonna matter how quick he learns English. Mikel apparently gives his instructions in multiple languages on the sidelines and speaks some level of French anyway so can't see a language barrier.

Over time I'm sure he'll pick it up. Was actually not that bad in the interview anyway!
Santi
SE13
SE13

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk