William Saliba (2)

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: William Saliba (on loan - Olympique de Marseille)

Postby theHotHead » Wed Jun 01, 2022 4:21 pm

Why would Arsenal not play him ? Its in their best interests to maintain his value, driving down his value suits the player and the buying club NOT Arsenal. Loads of players have wanted to leave a club and still been played by the owning club, its normal.

He was young player of the season in France and is now a French International footballer. He is not a 3rd choice CB and if you think that - thats where you are going wrong. He has far more leverage than the club - the club need him - he doesn't need the club.
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby Ach » Wed Jun 01, 2022 4:25 pm

He's better than White so that puts an end to if he'll play or not
Ach
SE13
SE13

Postby Arsenal Tone » Wed Jun 01, 2022 4:27 pm

theHotHead wrote:Why would Arsenal not play him ? Its in their best interests to maintain his value, driving down his value suits the player and the buying club NOT Arsenal. Loads of players have wanted to leave a club and still been played by the owning club, its normal.

He was young player of the season in France and is now a French International footballer. He is not a 3rd choice CB and if you think that - thats where you are going wrong. He has far more leverage than the club - the club need him - he doesn't need the club.
We have White and Gabriel though. He needs to come in and earn his place in the same way Ramsdale did last season.
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby EliteKiller » Wed Jun 01, 2022 5:06 pm

TedLasso wrote:What's football?

You do understand the contextual differences here of a 3rd CB throwing around demands and 3 of the greatest players in our generation right? It's obviously a lot easier to replace Saliba in our squad than guys like that. If Bukayo Saka were making these demands, my responses would be different. Do you understand that difference?

I stopped reading when you called a called up French International a "3rd choice centre back" if that's what you believe then that's on you. Saka is also so far refusing to sign a new contract, are you saying we should just let him run down his contract?
Last edited by EliteKiller on Wed Jun 01, 2022 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EliteKiller
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby ag6789 » Wed Jun 01, 2022 5:44 pm

Saliba, if he stays with us, would start in EL and Caribo cup , because he is relatively unknown in PL. Once he proves his worth there, he'll get opportunities in the event of injuries to or poor form of the senior CBs.
I don't see this as 3rd choice CB getting his chances , but coming of age.
He's young and gets introduced gradually into the battle.
ag6789
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Salibatelli » Wed Jun 01, 2022 5:50 pm

It’s the club that created this situation, signing a player for 27 million and loaning him out for 3 seasons is unheard of, it’s even worse that we chose to keep players like Holding around rather than give this guy a chance.

He’s been treated poorly from the day Arteta appeared, first he was left out of the squad for 6 months, which was a very odd decision given he could have played EL and Caraboa games (the young players did).

Since then he’s been permanently loaned out, there’s no excuse for this kind of treatment IMO, I thought it was wrong then and I don’t blame him for wanted to stay at somewhere like me Marseille where he’s valued and will be playing regularly and feature in Europes premier club competition.

With the World Cup round the corner and having just broken into the France squad, it would make zero sense to come back and play for a manager who never wanted him and who could end up leaving him on the bench or even not select him (just like AMN).

Saliba is 21 and has years ahead of him, Arteta will probably gone next season, missing out on his talent would be a very poor decision and to the detriment of the club.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Wed Jun 01, 2022 6:06 pm

ag6789 wrote:Saliba, if he stays with us, would start in EL and Caribo cup , because he is relatively unknown in PL. Once he proves his worth there, he'll get opportunities in the event of injuries to or poor form of the senior CBs.
I don't see this as 3rd choice CB getting his chances , but coming of age.
He's young and gets introduced gradually into the battle.

That would be a disaster. There are only 4 possible EFL fixtures before Christmas, likely all against non-PL sides. Europa group stage would be similar.

What is he going to learn playing vs Millwall that he hasn't playing 90 mins against the likes of Lyon, PSG, Monaco for years ?
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby EliteKiller » Wed Jun 01, 2022 7:09 pm

TedLasso wrote:
EliteKiller wrote:
TedLasso wrote:What's football?

You do understand the contextual differences here of a 3rd CB throwing around demands and 3 of the greatest players in our generation right? It's obviously a lot easier to replace Saliba in our squad than guys like that. If Bukayo Saka were making these demands, my responses would be different. Do you understand that difference?

I stopped reading when you called a called up French International a "3rd choice centre back" if that's what you believe then that's on you. Saka is also so far refusing to sign a new contract, are you saying we should just let him run down his contract?

Just gonna copy and paste for you since you didn't read it the first time:

If Bukayo Saka were making these demands, my responses would be different. Do you understand that difference?

So you're not answering the question - we all saw your post, I just asked what your different position was? Different on it's own is a pretty meaningless response. Would you shoot him or have his children? those would both count as different I guess.
EliteKiller
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Salibatelli » Wed Jun 01, 2022 7:57 pm

People have been understating Saliba’s talent for a while now, all because Arteta decided to not play him and people couldn’t find a decent reason.

He’s been managed terribly by a guy who has 2 8th places and totally blew 4th place after spending 240 million.

Not sure why people are turning on Saliba, he’s done nothing wrong.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby VCC » Wed Jun 01, 2022 8:11 pm

The debate of 1st 2nd or 3rd choice is where Arsenal has gone wrong for so long, he needs to become a rotation player along with white and gabby, should all be fit against the big boys you play the best options, that may come down to who is best in the air or who is quicker or what ever best negates what the opposition strike force offers, especially now with other euro games rotation is key
VCC
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Arsenal Tone » Wed Jun 01, 2022 8:15 pm

VCC wrote:The debate of 1st 2nd or 3rd choice is where Arsenal has gone wrong for so long, he needs to become a rotation player along with white and gabby, should all be fit against the big boys you play the best options, that may come down to who is best in the air or who is quicker or what ever best negates what the opposition strike force offers, especially now with other euro games rotation is key
Spot on!
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby swipe right » Wed Jun 01, 2022 8:52 pm

Play him in a back three with two rampaging wing backs and blitz the opposition.

Eddie - Saka
Odegard
Nuno - Partey - Xhaka - Tomi
Gabriel - Saliba - White
Ramsdale
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby ag6789 » Wed Jun 01, 2022 10:02 pm

Everything is on the table for Saliba, bright future and all that, but he still has to prove himself at Arsenal. Nobody will take a chance on him at PL when more seasoned campaigners are already in place.
It is only natural that he'll be eased into the tough league instead of thrown into the deep water.
He has to develop partnership/understanding with the fellow CBs, defenders and finally rest of the team and get used to the Arsenal style and procedure.
Now if he thinks he's better than rest then probably he has fewer choices. First, sulk and not play or show up at practice and hope Arsenal will sell him to his team of choice or second, sit out the rest of his contract period and hope afterwards he'll be in same form as before and take the world by storm.
He's an Arsenal player who pays his salary, and loans happen everywhere, at ManU, Chelsea, ManCity,....on and on and on and you can't please everyone and sundry. All the above clubs have /had different managers with different agendas and some players don't fit into their plans and get chances to develop and shine elsewhere. Some take it their stride and do well in future others sulk and decay. It is their choice as adults.
ag6789
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby EliteKiller » Thu Jun 02, 2022 12:50 am

TedLasso wrote:Alright so since you're new to football, I'll spell it out a bit more. Bukayo Saka, a right winger that has proven to be as capable in defense as he is in attack, is one of the brightest young talents in world football. Last season, he was arguably the best player on the team. When you are that good, you tend to get more leverage in contractual discussions. Leverage just means he'll be able to use the impact he has on the field to get more money, bonuses, etc. William Saliba, while very talented, is not the same tier of player as Saka within the club and therefore does not have the same leverage.

Were I the Director of Football at Arsenal, I'd bend over backwards to secure Saka's future here. I would offer Saliba a new deal as well but less likely to bend too much in negotiations.

Hopefully that's easy to understand.

So you're idea of "different" is you would in fact treat them the same just offer one a better deal ... you still ignored the real question what would you do if Saliba or Saka still refuse to sign a new contract, that being the real issue.
EliteKiller
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby EliteKiller » Thu Jun 02, 2022 4:15 am

TedLasso wrote:Who cares how I would handle this fictional situation? Why are you getting so bent out of shape over it?

Sorry for trying to hold a discussion on a forum ...

:rofll:
EliteKiller
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk